Find out all the steps to get ready to start your studies at Mohawk College!
Download the Mandatory iCent App
Get prepared to come to Canada and study at Mohawk College with the iCent app!
Before you Begin - How to Use the iCent App
The app is mandatory for all international students - be sure to download it before you plan your start at Mohawk. Important messaging and information will be sent directly to you via this app.
This app is designed to work as a checklist to follow and "Mark as Done", as well as icons with helpful links that will make sure you don't miss anything critical before your studies with us. Please make sure to turn notifications for this app on, so you receive our important updates!
Follow these steps within the app:
1. *Launching August 1 - Sept. 30* Review the COVID Safe Canada icon for all 24/7 supports for new and returning International students.
* Mandatory For All New and Returning Students: Whether you are arriving in Canada, or studying in your home country this year, you will need to submit your information via the Mandatory Fall Start Questionnaire found within the COVID Safe Canada icon.
Please reach out for supports via the "Contact iCent" tab in your COVID Safe Canada icon, at any time with your questions.
1. Review the Get Ready to Start checklist in detail for all items to complete first.
2. Review the Check in With Us tab to get you set up with our International team, submit important documents, and get you ready for classes.
3. Make sure you peruse the other important tabs for information on all services available to you.
4. Continue the steps on the Get Ready to Start Page!
How to Download the App
Follow these steps to download the app:
Enter Canada in the “Institution Country” field
Enter Mohawk College International in the “Institution Name” field
Use your email to register for the app, you will be sent an email with your PIN. Please remember to check your Junk Mail inbox
Use your PIN to login the app
Questions or trouble logging in?Contact: support [at] iCentapp.com
- If you cannot access the App version of iCent, you can access the iCent App Content via web browser as well!
Google Android in China: We are aware that there have been some download issues for iCent in mainland China. If you are in mainland China, download the app directly
About COVID Safe
*NEW* COVID Safe Canada – International Student Virtual Resource
Mohawk is excited to announce the on-boarding of a new service called COVID Safe Canada, a virtual arrivals support program accessed in the iCent app. This program will be live from August 1 - September 30, and can be accessed by all new and returning International students. This program will support students with any questions they may have as they prepare to begin studies with us at Mohawk. Additional services and supports will be provided here for those who will be able to travel to Canada this semester, and will guide students through any health-Canada guidelines, self-quarantine needs, and additional questions as they arise. The program boasts 24/7 support, chat, and call-in services to support students in any time-zone, with trained volunteers on the iCent team. Please visit the COVID Safe icon within your iCent app for more information.
COVID Safe Privacy Disclaimer
In order to facilitate the arrival of new and returning international students to Mohawk College during the COVID-19 pandemic, iCent, specifically the COVID Safe Canada application (“iCent”), is being used to promote services, provide support and assist with self-isolation/quarantine. iCent also supports the adherence to Mohawk College COVID-19 protocols and Health Canada guidelines.
All personal information will be collected, used and disclosed in accordance with applicable privacy legislation. Access to the information collected by iCent will be restricted to the Mohawk College International and Partnerships Department and may be shared with designated Security Services, Admissions, and Recruitment employees as appropriate. Information collected by iCent will be stored in both the iCent application and Mohawk College servers for a period of 3 months at which point all information will be deleted.
iCent Privacy Disclaimer
In order to facilitate the arrival of new and returning international students to Mohawk College, iCent, specifically the Check-In application (“iCent”), is being used to is being used to collect your personal information in order to facilitate the student check-in process and provide awareness of Mohawk College policies and services.
All personal information will be collected, used and disclosed in accordance with applicable privacy legislation. The personal information may include but is not necessarily limited to language test scores, visas, permits, and emergency contact information. Access to the information collected by iCent will be restricted to the Mohawk College International Student Services Department and may be shared with designated Registrar’s Office and International and Partnerships employees as appropriate. Information collected by iCent will be stored in both iCent and Mohawk College servers for a period of 3 months at which point all information will be deleted from iCent. Information collected by iCent and stored in Mohawk College servers will be stored in perpetuity as part of the student record.
I acknowledge that while the provision of personal information by way of the App is convenient, no electronic medium of disclosure is entirely secure, and I voluntarily assume the risk of potential disclosures associated with the use of the App and release Mohawk College and its agents, contractors and employees from liability associated with any such disclosure.
Visit the Virtual and Remote Learning page to know more.
Tips to be successful
- Learn about your Fall 2020 Program details and requirements.
- Review our Virtual and Remote Learning page to learn about how your program delivery has changed this semester, and what supports are available to you.
- Get Help: Reach out to any of the many supports available if you need help. The College provides many services that help you to be successful in your studies. See a list of supports available.
- Log in to MyCanvas: Be sure to log into MyCanvas often to check on emails from your professors, assignment and assessment due dates, real-time class times, etc.
- Review the Course Outline: A Course Outline provides information about what will be covered in your course, learning outcomes, required textbooks, etc. Be sure to review this for each of your courses so you are aware of required resources, due dates and activities
- Study Smart: See this list of Studying Smart tips for a full list of steps you can take to be successful in your studies. Other resources to help you prepare for success will be provided at the beginning of August.
Check in With Us
Check in Steps for New and Returning Students
Whether you are in Canada, or studying from your home country - you will need to check in with our team in International Student Services.
Access this information via the iCent "Check in With Us" icon and follow the steps below.
- Follow the Check in With Us checklist to ensure that you have all the information to start your program.
- Upload the required documents.
- Wait for an email to let you know that all has been approved, if you had conditions on your Letter of Acceptance.
Connect with us at international.services [at] mohawkcollege.ca if you have any questions.
If you are able to enter Canada, we recommend that students arrive in country for August 14
*Please Note: All students, including those entering Canada from the United States, are only admitted to Canada if their travel is essential and they have a credible plan to quarantine/self-isolation for 14 days. (See the IRCC website for further information on entry to Canada.)
The plans and information on this page are based on current information. Mohawk continues to take direction from Public Health authorities and will update the college community if any changes need to be made.
Steps to Prepare Entry to Canada
Please note that at this time, all who enter Canada must self-quarantine for 14 days.
Plan your trip: Before taking your flight, please review the Government of Canada website for the steps to follow upon arrival. These steps are mandatory and will help control the spread of the virus.
Access COVID Safe Canada Supports - Download the iCent App and review all preparation lists, and supports available for your trip to Canada via the COVID-Safe icon, and arrival forms: Live August 1 - Sept 30 for 24/7 supports.
- Mandatory For All New and Returning Students: Whether you are arriving in Canada, or studying in your home country this year, you will need to submit your information via the Mandatory Fall Start Questionnaire found within the COVID Safe Canada icon.
- Mandatory forms to fill out before travelling to Canada in the COVID Safe tab via iCent app under Arriving to Canada Forms
- Students will need to fill out the COVID Info Acknowledgement Form and Self Isolation Plan form before you travel, to let our team know what your plans are.
- Note: If you are in financial need and need support with grocery delivery or airport pickup during your time in self-isolation, please indicate this in the "Self Isolation Plan" form located under "Arriving to Canada Forms" provided via the COVID-Safe Canada icon, in the iCent App.
- After you arrive, students will fill in the Post Landing Check in form.
- if you are interested in booking a Toronto hotel – please fill out the Hotel Accommodation form
Download ArriveCAN App - Canadian Border Services has launched their ArriveCAN app which will support you in your immigration to Canada. Download this app and follow their instructions.
Housing: Please view our housing options to aid your self-isolation planning once you arrive. if you are interested in booking a Toronto hotel – please fill out the Hotel Accommodation form in the iCent app, COVID Safe icon.
Essential Travel Letter from Mohawk: Those students who have in class components to their program have been sent an essential travel letter to their MyMohawk email. If you have questions please contact international.services [at] mohawkcollege.ca
Airport safety: Please review the Toronto Pearson Airport safety recommendations page before your flight.
Travel to Canada
- Please review the Government of Canada COVID-19 Travel Restrictions, exemptions and advice to view all information required of you before you travel to Canada.
- If you are travelling by air, check your airline requirements before your flight. You will have to pass a health check done by your airline before you can board your flight. Anyone showing symptoms of COVID-19 will not be allowed to enter Canada. You can get more information at frequently asked questions about COVID-19.
- When entering Canada, you'll be:
- asked if you have a cough, fever or difficulty breathing
- required to acknowledge that you must::
- quarantine for 14 days if you don't have symptoms or
- isolate for 14 days if you have symptoms of COVID-19
- asked if you have a suitable place to isolate or quarantine, where:
- you'll have access to water, food and medication
- you won't have contact with people at high risk of severe illness from COVID-19
- Free SIM Card at Airport: Please contact the COVID Safe team via the iCent app for more details. International students will be provided a free SIM card from the Chatr booth at Pearson Airport, where you will be able to get support with setting up your phone wifi in Canada.
- You must submit your quarantine (self-isolation) plan to IRCC using the ArriveCan app. Download ArriveCan for iOS or ArriveCan for Android. You need to plan to self-quarantine for 14 days even if you do not have COVID-19 symptoms. Your quarantine plan lists where you will stay for the 14 days of self-isolation/quarantine, how you'll get to your desintation, how you will get your groceries, and access essential services and medical care. This plan is mandatory, even if you have no symptoms.
- Please visit the COVID Safe icon within your iCent app for information and supports on self isolation, as well as mandatory forms to submit to Mohawk via this app before you arrive (see details in "Steps to Prepare Entry for Canada" in section above)
- You must arrange transportation from the airport to your self-isolation location. If possible, avoid public transportation from the airport, instead opt for a taxi, shuttle or rideshare, with use of a mask. Please do not make stops on the way from the airport and please ensure you wear an appropriate mask or face covering while in transit. If you must, you can take public transportation to get to your place of self-isolation after arriving in Canada, but must not stop on the way and practice physical distancing of 2 metres at all times.
- If you are in financial need and need support with safe transportation to your place of self-isolation/quarantine or with groceries during this time, please indicate this in the "Self Isolation Plan" form located under "Arriving to Canada Forms" provided via the COVID-Safe Canada
- You will need to provide a working phone number AND your self-isolation/quarantine address to the Immigration Officer once you arrive at Toronto Pearson Airport.
- Once you enter Canada, you must self-isolate/quarantine for 14 days (see next section)
Self-Isolation & Quarantine
- You must self-isolate for 14 days once you arrive in Canada, so make sure to arrange for housing during that time. Self-isolation/quarantine means staying in one place of residence, without leaving or seeing anyone for the duration of 14 days to help protect you and others from exposure. Please visit this page to learn about the Government of Canada’s to learn how to self-isolate. It is not required to be tested for COVID-19 unless advised by a physician or Public Health. You will need to isolate in a place where you are not in contact with adults aged 65 years or over, and people with pre-existing medical conditions.
- You should not leave your residence during the 14 day period, unless you need medical attention. In that case, and if possible, please call 1-866-797-0000 or access your Mobile Doctor support via Guard Me, before visiting a health centre or a hospital. Please monitor your health for symptoms of COVID-19.
- Once the 14 days are over, practice social/physical distancing, and do not gather in large groups.
- Please view our housing page for options for self isolation/quarantine accomodations. If you are interested in booking a Toronto hotel – please fill out the Hotel Accomodation form& in the COVID Safe icon, located in your iCent app.
- Violating any instructions provided to you when you entered Canada is an offence under the Quarantine Act and could lead to up to:
- 6 months in prison and/or
- $750,000 in fines
- If you choose to break your mandatory quarantine or isolation, resulting in the death or serious bodily harm of another person, you could face:
- a fine of up to $1,000,000 or
- imprisonment of up to 3 years or
- Download the iCent App and review the information and supports available from August 1 - Sept 30th in the Covid Safe Canada icon.
- Important: FIll out mandatory forms to submit to Mohawk via the COVID Safe app before you arrive (see details in "Steps to Prepare Entry for Canada" in section above).
- You can access COVID Safe supports at any time before and during your self isolation. COVID-Safe team members will check-in with you during your 14 day isolation, and a member of the Mohawk International arrivals team will also reach out to ensure your wellbeing, questions and supports are taken care of!
- Please make arrangements for any necessities, such as food, medication, masks, cleaning supplies etc, to be delivered to your residence.
- You can ask a friend/relative to help you by shopping for groceries and doing a no-contact drop off.
- You can also access online grocery delivery options such as Instacart, PC Express, Inabuggy, Walmart, and Costco.
- Meal Kit plans are also available to order in advance such as Hello Fresh, Chefs Plate, or GoodFood.
- You may also deliver meals to your door via services such as Uber Eats, Door Dash, or Grub Hub.
- If you are in financial need and need support with a ride from the airport, or grocery delivery for your 14 day isolation/quarantine, please indicate this in the "Self Isolation Plan" form located under "Arriving to Canada Forms" provided via the COVID-Safe Canada icon, in the iCent App.
- You should not visit Mohawk College. All services are available online now to support our students.
- Once the 14-day period is complete, remember to always keep a distance of at least 2 arms lengths (approximately 2 metres) from others.
- Support COVID Contact Tracing - the COVID Alert app allows you to upload positive COVID tests, and see if anyone near you has tested positive.
- Find more information on how to self-isolate and quarantine.
What if I feel ill?
- During the first 14 days of isolation, if you are not feeling well, immediately call local Public Health Authority.
- You can also call the Hamilton Public Health Services COVID-19 Hotline at 905-974-9848. When calling the doctor or Hamilton Public Health Services COVID-19 Hotline: They will ask you about your symptoms and travel history. Follow their instructions carefully.
- Guard Me Insurance: After you have checked your province’s resources and recommendations, you may also use your Guard Me policy number to access an online or telephone consultation with a doctor who can assess your symptoms through guard.me/mobiledoctor. Your assessment via a Mobile Doctor will let you know if you need to go to a testing centre. COVID-19 test fees are only covered if you are showing symptoms of COVID-19. Reach out to Mobile Doctor and check for the closest assessment centre near your home.
To access Guard Me coverage at an additional cost before Sept 1, please visit the early arrivals tab via the Guard Me website for Mohawk.
More information about the health insurance coverage can be found at Guard.me, and more information about COVID-19 updates is available on the Guard me COVID-19 update site.
- For severe symptoms: For severe symptoms like difficulty breathing or severe muscle pain, call 911, tell them your symptoms and follow directions.
- What if i have COVID symptoms, or test positive for COVID-19?
- If you are not feeling well or test positive for COVID-19, please do not come to a Mohawk College campus.
- Please compete the COVID-19 Self-Disclosure form and a Mohawk College team member will contact you. Mohawk College wants to keep everyone safe. Our team members will reach out to you, and help you navigate Hamilton resources.
Life in Canada
- View all housing options including self-isolation/quarantine options.
- Learn more about the city of Hamilton here: Introduction to Hamilton, Student Life in Hamilton, and on our iCent app!
- Visit our Online & Community Resources Guide to learn about available supports for you in the community.
- Visit our "What you Need to Know Before Coming on Campus" page for all relevant information about on-campus protocols and processes during COVID.
international.services [at] mohawkcollege.ca.
Additional Helpful Links
- View our sample packing list (recommended items)
- Self-isolation: guide for caregivers, household members and close contacts
- Taking care of yourself – for older adults, individuals with chronic health conditions
- Taking care of yourself and each other
- Physical distancing
- How to self-isolate
- When and how to wear a mask
- How to self-monitor
Attend Orientation events
- View all upcoming and past recorded sessions from our pre-departure events (found at bottom of page).
- Check out How to Succeed at Mohawk Sessions and all of the college events and webinar offerings before you start.
College-wide orientation events
For new and returning students: Attend your virtual Orientation and connect with peers for a great start to your semester.