Respondus LockDown Browser is a customized browser that increases the security of online testing in MyCanvas. As an Instructor, you can choose to require students to use the LockDown Browser when taking your quizzes within MyCanvas. When students use LockDown Browser during a quiz, they are unable to print, copy, go to another URL, or access other applications until the quiz is submitted. Using LockDown browser is one of a series of measures that you can take to make your quizzes more secure, with less potential for cheating.
How it works
Respondus LockDown Browser is an application that is installed to a local computer. Like a traditional browser (e.g. Chrome, Firefox, Safari, Internet Explorer, etc.) it enables the browsing of web pages, but it is specifically engineered with many custom features, effectively creating a “locked” testing environment for MyCanvas. Here are a few of the LockDown Browser’s features:
- The browser automatically starts at the MyCanvas login page
- Quizzes are displayed full-screen and cannot be minimized
- Quizzes cannot be exited until submitted by users for grading
- Task switching, copy/paste, printing, print screen functions, and access to other applications is prevented
- Right-click menu options are disabled (Windows); key+click options are disabled (Mac)
- Browser menu and toolbar options are disabled except Back, Forward, Refresh and Stop
- Function keys (F1-F12) are disabled and URLs cannot be typed by the user
- Source code for the HTML page cannot be viewed
- Screen capture, messaging, screen-sharing and network monitoring applications are blocked
- Pages from the quiz aren’t cached or stored
Use at Mohawk
To require that a student use Respondus LockDown Browser to access an MyCanvas quiz, two things must occur:
- The Instructor of the course must enable the appropriate quiz setting, and
- The student’s computer must have Respondus LockDown Browser installed.
Instructors must adjust a quiz’s Security Options (under the Restrictions tab, when editing the quiz) in order to require use of the LockDown Browser.
When students attempt to take the quiz in a standard browser, they will be prompted to access the quiz from Respondus LockDown Browser. Following the supplied link launches the special Browser, and allows students to complete the quiz in the controlled environment.
Who can help you at Mohawk
Contact an Educational Technology Specialist for more information about this tool.
For student support, students can contact the Library TECH BAR.