What is Respondus LockDown Browser and Monitor?
Respondus LockDown Browser is a customized browser that increases the security of online quizzing in MyCanvas. When students use LockDown Browser to take a quiz, they are unable to print, copy, go to another URL, or access other applications until the quiz has been submitted. As an instructor, you can choose which of your MyCanvas quizzes will require students to use LockDown Browser.
Respondus Monitor adds an additional level of security to your quizzes by requiring that students also use a webcam to record themselves as they take quizzes. Each student’s quiz attempt is recorded, and the recordings are available to you shortly after the session. Monitor also provides a set of snapshot images of key moments during the session, and provides other indicators of the likeliness of cheating.
The following INFOsheet provides further details:
How it works
Functionality of LockDown Browser
The use of Respondus LockDown Browser effectively creates a secure testing environment for MyCanvas and includes a number of features, including:
• Assessments are displayed full-screen and cannot be minimized
• Browser menu and toolbar options are removed, except for Back, Forward, Refresh and Stop
• Prevents access to other applications including messaging, screen-sharing, virtual machines, and remote desktops
• Printing and screen capture functions are disabled
• Copying and pasting anything to or from an assessment is prevented
• Right-click menu options, function keys, keyboard shortcuts and task switching are disabled
• Can be configured such that students cannot exit until the the quiz is submitted for grading
• Assessments that are set up for use with LockDown Browser cannot be accessed with other browsers
LockDown Browser should only be used by students to take quizzes; it is not a replacement for a regular web browser.
Use at Mohawk
Enabling LockDown Browser for a Quiz
To require students to use LockDown Browser for a MyCanvas quiz, you must enable LockDown Browser for the quiz.
1. Ensure that the LockDown Browser link is visible on the Course Navigation menu. If the link is not available:
• Visit Settings from the Course Navigation menu
• Choose the Navigation tab
• Drag the LockDown Browser item from the hidden section to the visible section. Note that even when enabled this way, the link will not be visible to students.
• Save your changes.
2. Visit the LockDown Browser link on the Course Navigation menu to view a list of all the quizzes in the course. Select the actions dropdown menu immediately to the left of the quiz name.
3. Click or press Settings, and select Require Respondus LockDown Browser for this exam. Open the Advanced Settings to open an additional set of options and select them as desired. To learn more about each option, click or press on the [explain] link beside the option.
4. Click or press Save + Close. You can confirm that LockDown Browser has been successfully applied when you see that the quiz name has updated, in the LockDown Browser listing and throughout MyCanvas, to include “Requires Respondus LockDown Browser”.
Enabling Respondus Monitor
Enabling Respondus Monitor requires that Respondus LockDown Browser is also enabled, and is configured in the same Settings.
1. After enabling Require Respondus LockDown Browser for this exam, select Require Respondus Monitor for this exam under Monitor Webcam Settings.
2. Configure your settings for the Startup Sequence.
• Some settings, including the Webcam Check and Facial Recognition Check, are enabled by the College and cannot be disabled.
• For other settings, you can view and customize the prompts that the students see by clicking/pressing Edit Text.
3. Confirm the selections for Facial Detection Options and Advance Settings; in most cases the default settings are appropriate.
4. Click/press Save + Close. Any quizzes that require Respondus Monitor will now be renamed to include “Requires Respondus LockDown Browser + Webcam.”
Who uses it
The Student Experience
Make sure students know, well in advance, if quizzes in your course will require Respondus LockDown Browser, especially if they will be taking the quiz(zes) on their personal computer, requiring that they install the LockDown Browser software. It is also good practice to create a short, non-graded demo quiz that requires the use of LockDown Browser, and allow students to test the browser before you require it for a graded quiz.
1. When you configure a Classic Quiz in MyCanvas to require LockDown Browser, a student must:
• Exit their current browser
• Launch LockDown Browser and login to MyCanvas
• Navigate to the course and specific quiz, and choose to Take the Quiz.
2. When you configure a New Quiz in MyCanvas to require LockDown Browser, a student is automatically directed and logged in to the quiz in LockDown Browser after selecting Take the Quiz. LockDown Browser must have been previously installed on the computer.
Further details for students can be found in the following Library Tech Guides
Who can help you at Mohawk
Contact an Educational Technology Specialist for more information about this tool.
For student support, students can contact the Library TECH BAR.