Technical requirements to write the assessment virtually:
The Assessments for Success will be administered through Mohawk College's LMS platform - My Canvas. The technologies Respondus Lockdown Browser and Respondus Monitor will be used during your test. A Zoom Support call will be available for students, until approximately 15 minutes after their scheduled start time, for those who require assistance.
- To ensure you have the minimum capability to permit virtual proctoring and access Zoom, you must follow the steps below:
- Go to http://Zoom.us/test
- Click ‘Join’
- Test your microphone, speaker and ability to share your screen
- You will be required to install LockDown Browser onto your computer. This will only need to be completed once. Please see the link below:
- Check that you can log into your MyCanvas by following the steps below:
- Go to https://mycanvas.mohawkcollege.ca/
- Input your Mohawk ID and password
*Please note: Google Chrome is the recommended browser for using this platform
Students must meet all the mandatory requirements, in order to complete their assessment through virtual proctoring:
- Access to a computer or laptop (no tablets, iPads or Chromebooks)
- Stable internet or WIFI
- Quiet space with no disruptions
- Webcam and microphone
Please ensure you have one of the following operating systems for MyCanvas, Respondus Lockdown and Respondus Monitor:
- Windows 7 or newer
- Mac OSX 10.10 or newer
- Go to the Zoom website, download and install Zoom: https://www.zoom.us/download#client_4meeting.
- To check that Zoom was set up correctly, click here: https://www.zoom.us/test. Please use the option to join with video. You will need to test your microphone and speaker.
- For information on Respondus Lockdown Browser and Monitor, please click here.
Day of test:
- Sit in a quiet place where you will be undisturbed while testing.
- Clear a workspace for your monitor, mouse and keyboard. All other items must be removed from your table/desk.
- Be sure to have your photo ID ready. You will need to take a picture of the identification prior to beginning your test.
- The Communications Skills assessment will be provided to your Communications Course instructor, therefore, it must be taken seriously.
- Take any necessary breaks before your assessment, as you will not be permitted to take breaks prior to your assessment during your assessment.
You will receive an email, 15-30 minutes prior to your scheduled start time with login instructions as well as an opportunity to join a Zoom support call if you require assistance.
What to bring with you to the assessment:
- Photo ID (driver's license, student card or passport)
What NOT to bring with you to the assessment:
Do not bring any unauthorized aids such as:
- Cell Phone
- Additional laptop or electronic devices in addition to the computer being used for testing
Writing the Assessment using Remote Monitoring technology:
In order for Mohawk College to provide students the opportunity to complete their Assessments for Success during the COVID-19 pandemic, online proctoring through Respondus Lockdown Browser and Monitor are being used to assist with remote testing process.
Respondus Monitor will capture your video and audio while Respondus Lockdown Browser restricts computer activity beyond your test such as web surfing in order to protect academic integrity. The audio and video collected by Respondus Monitor will be used to ensure that the assessments are being taken in a secure environment. Access to the recording of the testing session will be restricted to Mohawk College Testing Centre staff and designated Liberal Studies faculty who may further review and access the information it to ensure the integrity of assessments. Recordings of assessments will be uploaded to both Respondus Monitor and Mohawk College servers. Such recordings may be reviewed by the Mohawk College Testing Center proctors, or, appropriate Mohawk College Liberal Studies instructors as appropriate. Recordings may be stored in the United States for a period of 1 year at which point all recordings will be deleted from both Respondus and Mohawk College Servers.
Student will first meet with Mohawk College Testing Centre Staff, through Zoom, to conduct identification verification and a room scan.
Students will be recorded via Respondus for the duration of the assessment. During the course of the recording, Respondus will:
- Restrict web browsing using screen-locking technology;
- Restrict access to other computer applications; and
- Facilitate automated video review and flagging processes.
Your Writing assessment will be provided to your instructor prior to the first day of classes. You will receive an email with more detailed information within 1 week of completing your assessment.