New to Canada?
Do you love working with people and want to learn about jobs in community services? Complete this part-time program in under a year to prepare yourself to work in community service organizations.
The program is offered for free to eligible participants. You can earn up to three micro-credentials.
Apply now. Start January 9.
- Use your skills and training to enter the Canadian workforce
- Understand different jobs in Community Services
- Build new employment skills
- Network with local employers
- One-on-one employment and further education support for students offered by Placement Coach
- You are a permanent resident of Canada, protected person (with Notice of Decision), or a Ukrainian temporary resident or their dependent.
- You have current proof of Canadian Language Benchmark level 7 assessment (or greater)
- You are not currently enrolled in a college or university program
- Recommended: work experience and education in related field
January 9 – March 28, 2024
Tuesdays and Thursdays
6:00 pm - 8:00 pm
Virtual - using Zoom and MyCanvas
Programs and courses include:
Intro to Community Services
- Familiarize yourself with the community service field in Canada by understanding more about social services and supports in the community.
Career Planning in Community Services
- Familiarize yourself with Canadian workplace culture and communication
- Understand the different roles and jobs in the sector
- Build your resume and employment skills through connections to employers
*Experiential learning opportunities will help you integrate yourself into the community services sector with hands-on experiences.
In-person professional development will be required.
These volunteer placement schedules are different from course days and hours.
Register for an information session to learn more
Wednesday, November 29 at 6:30 pm
"The course instructors were very supportive, skillful, and genuine in their commitment to our success both in the in-class part and the placement portion of the program. I appreciate the effort that went into ensuring that I was placed with an organization that met my personal preference and gave me a very meaningful learning experience. With all the support, I thrived and successfully completed my placement..." continue reading
Obtain your FREE English language assessment from YMCA
Note: We do not accept any language assessment other than CLB.
Hamilton YMCA locations are:
YMCA Immigrant Services
25 Main Street West
YMCA Immigrant Services
211 Centennial Parkway North
Postsecondary credentials assessment
Have your postsecondary credentials assessed by one of the following:
General assessment from International Credential Assessment Service (ICAS) of Canada
Comparative Education Service, University of Toronto
World Education Services (WES)