Be a mentor. Change lives!
What is the Newcomer Mentorship Program?
YMCA of Hamilton|Burlington|Brantford initiated a Newcomer Mentoring Program in April of 2017. Over this time, the program has provided many mentors and mentees with the opportunity to develop important skills crucial for their professional development.
Today, the Programs for Newcomers Department at Mohawk College and the Mohawk Alumni Association are excited to join the Newcomer Mentorship initiative in collaboration with YMCA. Through this strategic collaboration, we aim to expand the benefits of the mentoring program to more IRCC eligible newcomers to Canada who are enrolled in Mohawk programs, YMCA Settlement Services and to more working professionals that are eager to support their community as a mentor.
Why should I be a mentor?
Mentoring a newcomer with international experience will support your professional development and career advancement by developing skills that are relevant to today’s diverse workplace and, more specifically, to Hamilton “Canada’s most diversified and one of Ontario’s fastest-growing economies” (City of Hamilton). At the same time, as a mentor, you will become an agent of change in our community by supporting the integration of newcomer professionals into the labour market.
As a mentor, you will have multiple benefits:
- Enhance your leadership and coaching skills
- Develop your cross-cultural communication
- Cultivate a greater sense of community
- Support Hamilton’s economic and social development
- Expand your understanding of your field from an international perspective
How will I help a mentee?
During a three-month period, the mentor and mentee will meet six times either online, over the phone, or in-person (If both agree, respecting COVID 19 guidelines). As a mentor, you will have the opportunity to help mentees:
- Expand their professional network
- Enhance their understanding of the Canadian workplace culture
- By sharing your knowledge of industry skills and training needed to increase employability
- Grow their confidence as they gain knowledge, feel supported and are better prepared for the Canadian workplace or further study
Will I receive any support from the program?
Yes! We will provide you with training, information, resources and support throughout the term of the mentorship.
How does the program work?
- Mohawk College matches mentors and mentees twice a year, in the spring and in the fall, while the YMCA matches on an ongoing basis.
- We will review all applications after Mohawk mentee applications close in April and October.
- Mentors that are matched with a mentee will receive an invitation to participate in an orientation session.
- In the session, mentors will learn more about the Mentorship Program and will be able to ask questions to the staff.
1. The matching process
Mohawk College and YMCA will look for a mentee that shares your professional background. If we find a mentee for you, you will receive a message introducing you and your mentee. If we cannot find a mentee that is right for you, we will keep your name in our pool of mentors for future matchings.
2. Mentorship starts
The program runs for a three-month period. There will be a mid-point check-in from the mentorship team.
3. Mentorship ends
After the three-month period, we will send a feedback survey to learn more about your experience in the program.
Please note: When you apply to be a mentor, you can choose to mentor a student in Mohawk's Programs for Newcomers, a YMCA newcomer mentee, or either. Depending on your choice, you will be contacted either by Mohawk College or by the YMCA.
Be a mentor. Change lives!
Join our pool of mentors.
- If you are a Mohawk student participating in the LINC 6, LINC 7/8, LINC College Preparation or Workplace Preparation programs, and you are interested in becoming a mentee, please contact Zarema Mammadova at zarema.mammadova [at] mohawkcollege.ca (subject: Question%20Newcomer%20Mentorship%20Program)
- If you are an internationally trained professional and you are interested in becoming a mentee, please contact Sohaira Akhtar at sohaira.akhtar [at] ymcahbb.ca (subject: Question%20Newcomer%20Mentorship%20Program)
- Any other program-related inquiries, please contact learnEnglish [at] mohawkcollege.ca (subject: Question%20Newcomer%20Mentorship%20Program)
Souhaitez-vous obtenir des services en français? Si oui, cliquez ici