Nature and Scope
The P.A.S.S. (Peer-Assisted Study Session) Leader is a Mohawk College student in semester three or higher who has successfully completed their targeted course (or equivalent) with a final grade of at least 80%. The P.A.S.S. Leader is expected to attend all classes of their designated class sections and later facilitate collaborative learning sessions with entry level students. The P.A.S.S. Leader is also expected to act as a “model student”, demonstrating successful organizational and learning strategies as well as other “good student” behaviours.
The P.A.S.S. Leader is expected to take an active role in marketing the P.A.S.S. Program by developing a marketing plan, creating marketing materials, delivering presentations about the program, staffing information booths during both Orientations and Open House events, etc. The primary objective of the P.A.S.S. Leader position is to improve student success in historically difficult courses by guiding students through a process of reviewing, applying, practicing and studying course materials via regularly scheduled group sessions.
From the first day of classes to the last day of classes in a given semester.
Please note: Paid Training is mandatory for all hired P.A.S.S Leaders and is scheduled prior to the semester beginning.
P.A.S.S Leaders are compensated at a rate of $14.00 per hour plus 4% in lieu of vacation. P.A.S.S Leaders may work a maximum of 15 hours per week (hours are not guaranteed and number of hours per week may change subject to demand). P.A.S.S Leaders are expected to complete bi-weekly pay records through the Mohawk College Web Entry system. Pay is deposited bi-weekly via direct deposit.
Academics and Time Commitment
P.A.S.S Leaders can be scheduled up to 15 hours a week (actual number may vary, subject to demand). All P.A.S.S Leaders are students first and are therefore expected to model positive academic habits and maintain a strong GPA (80%) throughout the duration of their employment. P.A.S.S Leaders are expected to give the responsibilities of the position priority over all other college activities except those which pertain to his/her academic success.
Qualifications and Conditions of Employment
- Must be a full-time student at Mohawk College
- A minimum overall academic achievement of 80%
- Successful completion of their assigned course with a final grade of 85% or higher (or equivalent)
- A passion for leadership; excellent communication skills; positive attitude and outgoing personality; team player; creative problem solver
- A “model student”, able to demonstrate good organization, time management, and successful learning strategies
- Experience with Microsoft Office 2013 would be beneficial (Word, Excel and PowerPoint)
- Previous experience leading and facilitating groups would be considered an asset
- A reference from a Mohawk College instructor
- Prior to the commencement of the term of the contract, each P.A.S.S. Leader candidate must complete the following:
- Attend mandatory training session
- Completion and submission of all required paperwork
Apply for a Position
If you are interested in becoming a Mohawk College P.A.S.S. Leader for the current academic year please fill out an application form.
Note that applications are kept on file for one academic year.