Apprenticeship Update April 15, 2021 (April 26th Class Starts)
At Mohawk College, the health and safety of apprentices, students, faculty, and staff is our top priority. Due to the new state of emergency declared by the province on April 9, 2020. Mohawk College has had to adapt quickly to reduce class sizes and adjust classroom spaces.
After careful consideration, the college has decided to defer SOME of the originally scheduled April 26th, 2021, in-class and online apprenticeship classes. If you have been impacted you will receive an email. All available options were explored to avoid having to postpone your training start date. Unfortunately, we are unable to accommodate every program and it became necessary to postpone training for some students.
Impacts have been made to the following classes:
- Autobody Level 2 – Entire Class has been deferred
- Elevating Device Mechanic Level 2 - Entire Class has been deferred
- Truck & Coach Level 1 – Class size has been reduced (Apprentices impacted have been deferred based off their Ministry registration date)
- Refrigeration Air Conditioning System Mechanic Level 1 & 2 – Class size has been reduced (Apprentices impacted have been deferred based on their Ministry registration date)
When will I return to training if I was deferred for my April 26th class?
The ministry has been notified and your name has been placed back on the waitlist. You will receive a new offer of classroom training for a future date. These dates are yet to be determined. Capacity for future classes will depend heavily on the restrictions from the province during those dates.
I am unable to see my courses in mycanvas? If you cannot see a course in canvas, this is likely because it has not be published yet. Each course must be published separated. Please follow up with your specific faculty after your first class.
- What will my first day of training look like? Will I be required to attend in person or via a Zoom call?
- Your first day of training will be a Zoom call. Details surrounding your first day of class will be emailed to your MyMohawk email and personal email on file. Please note: You will not be able to view your courses in MyCanvas until your first day of class.
- What will Hybrid Delivery look like?
The majority of the training will occur in a hybrid format, which includes lecture-based program components to be delivered in a remote/virtual environment while required labs, simulations and assessments will be delivered on campus. This may vary by trade and information for your specific trade will be shared with you directly by your program area closer to the start date.
- When will I get my schedule?
Schedules will be issued on the first day of class.
- How often will I be expected to be on campus?
The hours/days on campus for labs will vary for each trade and level. This information will be shared with you directly by your program area.
- Can I still work while attending training?
Your training is delivered in a BLOCK format, scheduled 5 days per week, which indicates full-time studies. Eligible recipients in Block classes will receive a 16-digit code which will be issued by the Ministry (MLTSD) for the purposes of Employment Insurance (EI).
- I am travelling from a distance; can I still stay home?
You will be required to come to campus for mandatory in-person learning throughout the week.
- I am in Level 3, when will we do exam prep?
The decision has been made to deliver exam prep during your scheduled training dates. There will not be an additional week at the end of the 8-week training period.
- Are trade equivalency exams available?
Trade Exemption tests will be available soon, once the campus restrictions are lifted. Please check back for updates.
- See the 2020/2021 Ministry Funded Apprenticeship Training Dates.