Global Business Management - Family Enterprise (International Only) - 970
The program is open to a mix of 15 students from around the world, sponsored by a family enterprise. The task is to gain a global cultural understanding of the nuances of international trade keeping in mind the specific family business perspective. This program provides opportunities to foster professional agility and versatility through a mentoring process along with a post-graduate opportunity to work for up to three years.
Family business across the world continues to be a major part of any country’s economy. In Canada, Family Business represents 65% of all business. Unfortunately, 70% do not make it to the second generation and 90% do not make it to the third generation. Understanding the compromises of what is good for the family and good for the business along with family health, and the relationship between the generations is critical to the future of a family business. This focus is embedded in the program to support those with an interest in connecting their family businesses with North American markets and the world.
- Focus on English communications, Canadian business culture, and international business to support and connect your family business with Canadian markets and the world, or develop new business opportunities
- Provides the business math, stats, and accounting/finance foundations needed to tackle advanced business courses and make sound financial decisions
- Benefits from entrepreneurial perspectives and other industry insights from professionals and mentors who work in international trade
- Mohawk College is located in the midst of the Toronto- Waterloo Innovation Corridor, home to more than 15,000 tech companies and thousands of start-ups that require talented people to help them turn their research strength into global commercial success
What you'll learn
- Understand customer needs and gather business requirements
- Research potential opportunities considering cultural, financial, legal, and distribution issues
- Use industry-standard tools and techniques to transform raw data into meaningful information to support business decision-making
- Identify the risks and financial rewards of different international investment alternatives
- Create strategies and business plans to develop and support the international presence of the family business
- Develop B2B sales and negotiation skills as well as a personal brand to launch a successful professional career in Canada or abroad
- Practice in the management of conflicts, complex family structures, diverse personalities, and difficult relationships.
- Gain insights into the psychological dynamics of family leadership, business management, and family and business governance to ensure the smooth and effective functioning of businesses.
Based on the rapidly changing situation with COVID-19, Mohawk College will be hosting Open House - ONLINE
Check back for details on how you can see our campuses, hear from faculty and staff, and experience life at Mohawk. In the meantime, explore our website to learn more about programs and services for students, and build your custom viewbook to experience all that Mohawk has to offer.
We’re here for you to support applications and admissions by providing online and virtual service.
Applied and have questions?
The admissions team is available to help, you can contact them via Admissions or by phone at 1-844-767-6871.
Haven’t applied and need help?
Connect with an advisor by email at email@example.com or phone 905-575-2460.
Tuition and Fees
Tuition and Fees
2019 - 2020 International Tuition and Fees
|Semester 1||Semester 2||Semester 3|
|Total Tuition & Ancillary Fee||$7,965.57||$8,025.57||$7,550.57|
|Optional Ancillary Fees||$104.43||$44.43||$44.43|
|Program Compulsory Fees||$0.00||$0.00||$0.00|
|International Tax Recovery||$450.00||$375.00||$375.00|
|Total International Per Semester||$8,520.00||$8,445.00||$7,970.00|
|Total 1st Year Fees||$24,935.00|
- International Scholarships and Bursaries
- OSAP not eligible for International Students
- Full Cost Breakdown
If you pay by wire transfer, please note your bank might charge you a fee to transfer money. Make sure your transfer includes the Mohawk payment and the wire transfer fee. This applies to each wire transfer payment you make.
The criteria for admission is as follows:
Minimum IELTS of 6.5 with no band below 6.0 (higher requirements in Family Enterprise stream due to placement requirements for effective communication)
Family business sponsorship
Statement of Purpose outlining the nature of the family business and a story about how this program will assist the applicant and the family business. The statement should include: proof of ownership, clearly states business name, nature of the business and its objectives, how they program will help the applicant and their business moving forward. Applications will be screened for the best qualified candidates given the nature of the program, family expectations, whether an appropriate match will be available and the specific interests of the applicant.
Degree or Diploma or equivalent work experience by a mature applicant with the support of a family business representative
Admission counselling is available to help clarify expectations and facilitate a qualifying submission.
- This is a BYOD (Bring your own device) program where you will learn applicable software applications to support your learning. Please see Laptop Requirements under Additional Information.
Applications will be screened for the best qualified candidates given the nature of the program, family expectations, whether an appropriate match will be available and the specific interests of the applicant. An admission decision will be made accordingly and the applicant will be notified by early October or sooner. Students will be expected to sign confidentiality agreements as all students will be required to hold confidential, information that may be considered proprietary.
- See below for accepted equivalents for Grade 12 English:
Applicants whose first language is not English will be required to demonstrate proficiency in English. Options are available for mature applicants.
How you'll gain skills
Experience interactive business simulations and case analysis.
Explore academic content through field trips and site visits.
- Apply cumulative program knowledge through a capstone research project.
To learn more, please visit the Centre for Experiential Learning.
Where you can go next
- Mohawk offers a diverse range of programs to further your studies**:
- View our internal pathways map PDF. This Pathways map shows how the identified program can lead to future program choices within Mohawk.
- Visit Pathways and Credit Transfer for degree completion opportunities outside of Ontario.
- See ontransfer.ca for additional opportunities at other colleges or universities in Ontario.
Practical elements of career planning will be covered in this program. Many students will be seeking jobs to support their goals as they plan for employment after graduation. If immigration is an objective, it is important that a student understands the Express Entry protocol along with the rules and regulations that highlight qualifying employment opportunities. We suggest you check the Canadian Citizenship & Immigration website (opens new window) for the information you need. Later you may want to contact a registered Canadian Immigration Consultant for advice.
Your future career options
- Small Business Owner
- Franchisees or Franchisors
- Business Development Executives
- Sales Representatives
- Operations Manager
- Transportation Manager
- Customs Broker
- Inventory Auditor
- Inventory Control Coordinator
- Purchasing Agent
Where you can work
- Mohawk College is located in the midst of the Toronto-Waterloo Innovation Corridor, home to more than 15,000 tech companies and thousands of start-ups that require talented people to help them turn their research strength into global commercial success.
- Other common employers include:
- Tech Industry
- Sports and Entertainment
- Management consultancies
- Transportation and Trade Industries
- Government entities that assist International Trade
Program of Studies
Course Overview & Descriptions
Click on the course title for a course description.
Program Learning Outcomes, often referred to as ‘Program Standards', set out the essential learning that a student must achieve before being deemed ready to graduate.
- Review the program learning outcomes for Global Business Management - Family Enterprise (International Only) (970)
In many cases these program learning outcomes were developed by the Ministry of Colleges and Universities (MCU) in consultation with employers and educators who are experts in the program field. To ensure the outcomes remain current and in line with industry needs, we invite our employers, graduates working in the field and current students to re-examine and update them during regular, ongoing program review focus groups.
Bring-Your-Own-Device Suggested Specifications
Domestic Canadian Students
Contact Student Recruitment
Contact our Student Recruitment team for information on our programs, student life, and more.
Contact our Admissions advisors for help with your application.
Contact International Student Recruitment
Contact our International Student Recruitment team for information on programs, how to apply, and student life.
Toll free phone numbers:
For general questions: 1-888-Mohawk9 (1-888-664-2959)
North China: 10-800-714-2521
South China: 10-800-140-2541
Student Success Advisors
Student Success Advisors
Student Success Advisors assist current students to transition to college life, co-creating an academic success plan, advice on course selection, changing programs, or referrals to specialized support services. If you need help applying to Mohawk, contact Admissions (for International Students, please contact International Admissions).