Communications Media Practices - 266
- Study emerging multimedia platforms including video sharing networks, podcasts, social media and other digital media platforms.
- Work with industry experts to create professional multimedia content that integrates online, video and audio material.
- Diversify your content creation skills and abilities across multiple platforms and for a variety of clients.
- Develop storytelling skills and research techniques to create concepts that can be applied to a variety of media platforms.
- Learn specialized writing practices that apply to key industries including media, marketing and sales.
- Participate in a collaborative environment focused on developing the skills needed to succeed in a variety of careers within media, marketing and sales.
- Create your own digital portfolio.
- Courses developed and taught by industry professionals.
- Sequential course delivery with additional Master Class workshops.
What you'll learn
- Over two semesters, you will work with industry professionals to:
- Writing, video and audio production skills to create appealing digital content including videos, podcasts, digital layout, online journalism and blogs.
- Effective client-based multimedia content for engaging targeted audiences.
- Content compliance with the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA).
- Career opportunities as professional multimedia content creators.
1 academic year (period of 8 months)
We’re here for you to support applications and admissions by providing online and virtual service.
Applied and have questions?
The admissions team is available to help, you can contact them via Admissions or by phone at 1-844-767-6871.
Haven’t applied and need help?
Contact us or phone 905-575-2460.
Take a virtual campus tour!
Explore Mohawk College from the comfort of home! Our virtual campus tours provide a guided visit of our buildings, labs, services, classrooms and athletic and recreation centre.
Domestic and International student admission requirements
- An Ontario College Diploma, Ontario College Advanced Diploma, or University Degree.
- Other equivalent postsecondary experience or qualifications will be considered by Mohawk
- Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) is required. Please see Laptop Requirements under Additional Information.
Language Requirements for International Students:
- IELTS Academic overall band of 6.5 with no band less than 6.0
- TOEFL iBT 88
- CAEL 70, no sub-test band score less than 60
- PTE Academic 58
- Mohawk College English Language Test (Accuplacer: Assessment for Success) aligned with CAEL Band
- Completion of level 8 of the General Arts and Science - English for Academic Purposes (GAS-EAP). Placement in the GAS-EAP program is determined by scores on an in-house English language test or TOEFL or IELTS
Tuition and Fees
Domestic Tuition and Fees
Contact Student Services to confirm fees for other start dates or semesters.
- Awards: Scholarships and Bursaries
- OSAP Eligible. Learn about Ontario Student Assistance Program (OSAP).
- Full Cost Breakdown
International Tuition and Fees
- International Scholarships and Bursaries
- OSAP not eligible for International Students
- Full Cost Breakdown
If you pay by wire transfer, please note your bank might charge you a fee to transfer money. Make sure your transfer includes the Mohawk payment and the wire transfer fee. This applies to each wire transfer payment you make.
Course Overview & Descriptions
Click on the course title for a course description.
How you'll gain skills
- Test and apply course concepts using state of the art equipment in our labs
- Explore academic content through field trips and site visits
- Experience interactive simulations
- Apply cumulative program knowledge through a capstone research project
Program Learning Outcomes, often referred to as ‘Program Standards', set out the essential learning that a student must achieve before being deemed ready to graduate.
In many cases these program learning outcomes were developed by the Ministry of Colleges and Universities (MCU) in consultation with employers and educators who are experts in the program field. To ensure the outcomes remain current and in line with industry needs, we invite our employers, graduates working in the field and current students to re-examine and update them during regular, ongoing program review focus groups.
Your future career options
- Writer, Producer and Director
- Independent Video Production
- Multimedia Storytelling
- Social Media Content Builder
- Digital Media Producer
- Digital Media Content Creator/Specialist/Developer/Manager
Where you could work includes:
- Professional, Business and Technical Services
- Multimedia/Social Media Industries
- Video and Audio Production, Post-Production, Editing and Graphics
- Freelance multimedia content creator
Pathways to Mohawk
If you've successfully taken a course at another post-secondary institution, you may be able to earn course exemptions toward your credential here at Mohawk.
Pathways within Mohawk
If you have successfully completed one of the following programs at Mohawk, you may be eligible to receive transfer credit in this program. *
- Business (General)
- Business - Marketing
- Broadcasting - Radio
- Photography - Still and Motion
- Advertising & Marketing Communication Management
- Applied Music
- Business Administration - Marketing
- Graphic Design
- Public Relations
We offer a diverse range of programs to further your studies within Mohawk following completion of this program. *
This Pathways map shows how the identified program can lead to future program choices within Mohawk.
Pathways beyond Mohawk
Earn a degree:
- Queen Margaret University - MSc Digital Campaigning and Content Creation
- Robert Gordon University - MSc Corporate Communications and Public Affairs
See ontransfer.ca for additional opportunities at other colleges or universities in Ontario.
Search the Mohawk Transfer Database for opportunities outside of Ontario.
The Communications Media Practices Graduate Certificate Program is a laptop-based program. A laptop, meeting the following minimum system requirements, is needed for the first day of class- including all required software.
You can use the system requirements listed below to purchase a laptop at the retailer of your choice. We encourage you to compare prices and systems, and find the laptop that will suit your needs and current financial situation.
Domestic Canadian Students
Contact Student Recruitment
Haven’t applied yet and have questions?
Contact our Student Recruitment team for information on programs, how to apply, and more.
Contact our Admissions advisors for help with your application.
Contact International Student Recruitment
Contact our International Student Recruitment team for information on programs, how to apply, and student life.
Toll free phone numbers:
For general questions: 1-888-Mohawk9 (1-888-664-2959)
North China: 10-800-714-2521
South China: 10-800-140-2541