Virtual Reality Multimedia Production - 656
- You will have access to emerging XR hardware such as VR headsets and controllers, AR headsets and glasses, 3D scanners, and more.
- You will use the latest software for programming, 3D modelling, animation and software development.
- You will be able to deploy applications to a large range of platforms including PC, iOS, Android, VR headsets, AR headsets and the web.
- You will learn how to overcome the challenges of deployment to any platform or device.
- You will learn critical product and project management skills specific to emerging XR industries.
- You will understand every aspect of the XR software development lifecycle and be career ready once you complete the program.
What you'll learn
- How to effectively plan and execute an XR project of any scale with a team of any size.
- How to adapt to emerging technologies in the rapidly changing landscape of XR.
- Design high quality 3D models using the latest modelling software and tools such as 3dsMax and Blender.
- Write clean and efficient code to help users navigate, interact, play and learn in XR environments.
- Build and deploy mobile applications for Android and iOS with an emphasis on innovative Augmented Reality application.
- Create beautiful 3D environments optimized for system performance.
- Develop engaging stories and scenarios specifically for XR media.
- Establish a career plan to take advantage of your skillset.
Is this program for me?
Although we do start with the basic training in programming and 3D design and provide extensive support throughout the program, it is an intensive nine month program. It requires a dedication to learn quickly and work at a high level individually and as part of a team. This program is best suited to individuals who are creative and enthusiastic about emerging technologies. A background in computer science, engineering, gaming, visual arts, digital media, or similar is ideal but not essential. There are a growing number of industries which are being served by XR solutions which requires a diverse set of skills and backgrounds including workers with a specialty in science, art, social science and the trades. At the end of the program, you will be ready to contribute to the rapidly increasing global XR market.
1 academic year (period of 9 months)
- The first semester will consist of a mix of theory and hands-on practice. Evaluations will be based on real-world applications to ensure you are able to use the skills and knowledge you will gain in class. Faculty will be there to support you and help you solve problems efficiently and effectively.
- The second semester is focused on experiential learning. Working with an industry partner, you will develop a functional application as part of a team of your classmates. Students are guided through the entire process from problem definition, ideation, solution definition, development and deployment of the solution. At the end of this semester you will make connections and gain essential job ready skills. The second semester will also include courses designed to prepare the students for any entrepreneurial or career specific goals they may have after graduation.
Explore our many videos, online resources and program options within the Open House+ website.
We’re here for you to support applications and admissions by providing online and virtual service.
Applied and have questions?
The admissions team is available to help, you can contact them via Admissions or by phone at 1-844-767-6871.
Haven’t applied and need help?
Contact us or phone 905-575-2460.
Take a virtual campus tour!
Explore Mohawk College from the comfort of home! Our virtual campus tours provide a guided visit of our buildings, labs, services, classrooms and athletic and recreation centre.
In the news
- The Hamilton Spectator: Virtual reality the real deal at Mohawk College
- CHCH: A California based virtual reality software company is teaming up with Mohawk College
- Newsdesk: Mohawk College AVR lab opening
TheSpec: Mohawk AVR Lab
Domestic and International student admission requirements
- Ontario College Diploma or University Degree. A background in graphic design, animation, broadcast media, film, computer engineering or computer science is recommended but not required
- Related work experience and/or postsecondary education (as determined by the College) will be considered on a case-by-case basis
- Proof of English proficiency for applicants where English is not their first language must be submitted to Ontario Colleges.
English Language Requirements
If English is not your first language or you have earned the equivalent of the Ontario Secondary School Diploma or post-secondary education outside of Canada, you will be required to provide proof of one of the following:
- IELTS Academic overall band of 6.0 with no band less than 5.5
- TOEFL iBT 80, no band less than 20
- TOEFL Paper-based, overall score 550
- CAEL (Canadian Academic English Language Assessment), 70
- PTE (Pearson Test of English) Academic 58
- CLBPT (Canadian Language Benchmark Placement Test), overall score 7, no band less than 7
- Completion of level 8 of the General Arts and Science - English for Academic Purposes (GAS-EAP). Placement in the GAS-EAP program is determined by scores on an in-house English language test or TOEFL or IELTS Academic
Applicants whose first language is not English will be required to demonstrate proficiency in English. Options are available for mature applicants.
Tuition and Fees
2021 - 2022 Domestic Tuition and Fees
|Description||Semester 1||Semester 2|
|Compulsory Ancillary Fees||$704.51||$698.20|
|Compulsory Program Fees||$0.00||$0.00|
|Total Domestic Charges Per Semester||$5,263.27||$6,233.84|
|Total 1st Year Fees||$11,497.11|
Above fees based on full-time September program start date. Contact Student Services to confirm fees for other start dates or semesters.
- Awards: Scholarships and Bursaries
- OSAP Eligible. Learn about Ontario Student Assistance Program (OSAP).
- Full Cost Breakdown
2020 - 2021 International Tuition and Fees
|Description||Semester 1||Semester 2|
|Total Tuition & Ancillary Fee||$8,376.00||$8,432.00|
|Program Compulsory Fees||$0.00||$0.00|
|International Tax Recovery||$450.00||$375.00|
|Total International Per Semester||$8,826.00||$8,807.00|
|Total 1st Year Fees||$17,633.00|
- International Scholarships and Bursaries
- OSAP not eligible for International Students
- Full Cost Breakdown
If you pay by wire transfer, please note your bank might charge you a fee to transfer money. Make sure your transfer includes the Mohawk payment and the wire transfer fee. This applies to each wire transfer payment you make.
Course Overview & Descriptions
Click on the course title for a course description.
Each course covers a series of modules. For more information about course content, please contact the program coordinator, Marilyn Powers.
Intro to 3D Modelling and Content Creation
- 2D/3D Asset Creation – Modelling
- Rigging and Animation
- Advanced Visual Appearance Features in Real Time Rendering
Intro to AR/VR Development & Production
- Introduction to the field of Augmented, Virtual and Mixed Reality
- Agile project management principles
- Standards practices in AR/VR file type formats, conversions and optimization
AR/VR Production Development
- Basics of Interactive Content Development
- Advanced Interactive Content Development
- Programming the Physics in Real Time Rendering Application
AR/VR on Mobile Platforms
- Mobile Application Development
- AR application development for mobile platforms
- VR application development for mobile platforms
Advanced AR/VR Development: Programming & Scripting
- Scripting and Programming Techniques in Immersive Content Development
- Deployment for Stereoscopic Immersive Systems
- Solutions with Natural Interfaces
- AR/VR Software Development and Integrations
How you’ll gain skills
- Apply cumulative program knowledge through a capstone research project.
- Test and apply course concepts using advanced software in our labs.
- Experience interactive simulations through AR/VR technology.
Your future career options
- Mobile Development
- Digital Media Producer
- Product Manager
- Augmented and Virtual Reality Programmer
- Project Manager
- Game Design
- Virtual Reality Events
- Virtual Reality Artist
- Interactive Designer
Where you can work
- Skilled Trades
Opportunities for grads
- Graduates will receive AR/VR Developer Certificate.
Pathways to Mohawk
If you've successfully taken a course at another post-secondary institution, you may be able to earn course exemptions toward your credential here at Mohawk.
Pathways beyond Mohawk
See ontransfer.ca for additional opportunities at other colleges or universities in Ontario.
Search the Mohawk Transfer Database for opportunities outside of Ontario.
Domestic Canadian Students
Contact Student Recruitment
Haven’t applied yet and have questions?
Contact our Student Recruitment team for information on programs, how to apply, and more.
Contact our Admissions advisors for help with your application.
Contact International Student Recruitment
Contact our International Student Recruitment team for information on programs, how to apply, and student life.
Toll free phone numbers:
For general questions: 1-888-Mohawk9 (1-888-664-2959)
North China: 10-800-714-2521
South China: 10-800-140-2541