Developmental Service Worker - 620D
- The ministry-approved curriculum is delivered in the program by qualified instructors who are culturally sensitive and equipped to work with individuals from diverse backgrounds.
- Theory content and in-school portion may be blended or in class day release.
- Offered on a part-time basis to allow participants to complete the requirements of the curriculum while meeting their employment obligations.
- Ability to complete diploma requirements through articulation with other colleges.
What you'll learn
- Gain meaningful experiences to support individuals with developmental disabilities, developing a skilled and educated workforce in the Developmental Services Sector.
Program length and format
Thinking about an apprenticeship program? Learn how it works.
Click image to view larger.
Explore our many videos, online resources and program options within the Open House Plus website.
We’re here for you to support applications and admissions by providing online and virtual service.
Applied and have questions?
The admissions team is available to help, you can contact them via Admissions or by phone at 1-844-767-6871.
Haven’t applied and need help?
Contact us or phone 905-575-2460.
- OSSD or equivalent
- Grade 12 English, C or U or equivalent
- Students must have an identified sponsor to register, i.e., Community Service Agency
- Apprentices must first register with the Ministry of Advanced Education and Skills Development prior to enrolment in the Developmental Service Worker Apprenticeship Program. Call 1-800-668-4479 or visit the Ministry of Education.
What is an Apprenticeship?
Apprenticeship training is an agreement between a person wishing to learn a skill and an employer who can provide the environment for skills training. It is administered in Ontario by the Apprenticeship Client Services Branch of the Ontario Ministry of Colleges and Universities.
How to Become an Apprentice?
There are four ways of entering a skilled trade in Ontario.
- Find an employer who is willing to train you in your preferred trade
- Enter a Pre-Apprenticeship Training program
- Complete a college diploma that relates to your preferred trade
- Ontario Youth Apprenticeship Program (OYAP)
Payment and Registration
Discover which method works best for you:
- Web Registration
- In-Person Payment “AND” Registration
- Employer Sponsorship
Applicants whose first language is not English will be required to demonstrate proficiency in English. Options are available for mature applicants.
How you’ll gain skills
- Experience interactive simulations to further develop course concepts.
Mohawk offers a diverse range of programs to further your studies**: Students that graduate from the Developmental Service Worker program are eligible to enroll into the following Ontario College Diploma, and Ontario College Advanced Diploma programs:
- Visit Pathways and Credit Transfer for degree completion opportunities outside of Ontario.
- See ONTransfer for additional opportunities at other colleges or universities in Ontario.
View our internal pathways map PDF. This Pathways map shows how the identified program can lead to future program choices within Mohawk.
Your future career options
- Developmental Service Worker
Where you could work includes:
- Community Agencies
- Special Needs Agencies
- Residential and Community Agencies
- School Boards
- Life Skill Centres
Program of Studies
Course Overview & Descriptions
Click on the course title for a course description.
Program Learning Outcomes, often referred to as ‘Program Standards', set out the essential learning that a student must achieve before being deemed ready to graduate.
In many cases these program learning outcomes were developed by the Ministry of Colleges and Universities (MCU) in consultation with employers and educators who are experts in the program field. To ensure the outcomes remain current and in line with industry needs, we invite our employers, graduates working in the field and current students to re-examine and update them during regular, ongoing program review focus groups.