Health, Wellness and Fitness (Mississauga Campus - International Only) - 692
- Field placements in a variety of settings such as recreational therapy centres, varsity teams, physiotherapy clinics, school boards, retirement residences, large corporate gyms, small private businesses and more.
- Students may challenge industry certifications
- Many pathways to further education
- Get involved in special events and volunteer opportunities.
What you'll learn
- Strategies to improve quality of life for people of various ages and abilities.
- Work with specialists of specific populations such as emergency service personnel, children, older adults, pregnant women or those with increased medical risk factors such as diabetes and high blood pressure.
- Study topics such as athletic injury management, sport psychology and exercise physiology, anatomy, biomechanics, wellness management strategies and many more.
2 academic years (periods of 8 months)
- OSSD or equivalent (Mohawk Academic Upgrading, GED) including:
- Grade 12 English, C or U or equivalent
Language Requirements for International Students:
- See below for accepted equivalents for Grade 12 English:
- Successful completion of the GAS-English for Academic Purposes (478 or 278) program
- TOEFL minimum score of 550 (80 Internet based)
- or IELTS Academic minimum score of 6.0 overall with no band less than 5.5
- More information about acceptable certificates, can be found on the International Admission Requirements
Applicants whose first language is not English will be required to demonstrate proficiency in English.
Tuition and Fees
2023 - 2024 International Tuition and Fees
|Description||Semester 1||Semester 2|
Total Tuition & Ancillary Fees
Program Compulsory Fees
|International Tax Recovery||$450.00||$375.00|
|Total International Charges Per Semester||$8,805.00||$8,843.00|
|Total 1st Year Fees||$17,648.00|
If you pay by wire transfer, please note your bank might charge you a fee to transfer money. Make sure your transfer includes the Mohawk payment and the wire transfer fee. This applies to each wire transfer payment you make.
Course Overview & Descriptions
Click on the course title for a course description.
How you'll gain skills
- Participate in two unpaid field placements totalling 72 hours.
- Through a mix of on-campus labs and simulations.
- Explore academic content through field trips and site visits.
- Apply cumulative program knowledge through a capstone research project.
- Provides an opportunity for students to get hands-on experience with real clients in a variety of settings including health screening and assessments, coaching and health promotion activities that encourage lifestyle change
- Field placements may occur at locations that are not accessible by public transit. As such, students shall be expected to either have access to a car or the ability to supply their own transportation when attending field placement activity. Mohawk shall not be responsible for providing students with transportation to field placements
- Applicants are advised that there are specific requirements that must be completed prior to participating in a field placement and that it is their responsibility to ensure the requirements are met
- Numerous fitness based placements in a variety of settings: community, not-for-profit, physiotherapy, fitness facility, hospitals and clinics, youth athletics, etc.
- Accepted applicants are required to have the following completed prior to field placement and are responsible for the associated costs:
- Standard First Aid
- CPR recertification required annually while in the program
- Up to date appropriate police check
- Registered students who have been convicted of an offence under the criminal code for which they have not been pardoned may be denied the opportunity to enter or continue in a placement while in the program
- Contact the Health, Wellness, and Fitness program area for more information.
Program Learning Outcomes, often referred to as ‘Program Standards', set out the essential learning that a student must achieve before being deemed ready to graduate.
- Review the program learning outcomes for Health, Wellness and Fitness (Mississauga Campus - International Only) (692)
In many cases these program learning outcomes were developed by the Ministry of Colleges and Universities (MCU) in consultation with employers and educators who are experts in the program field. To ensure the outcomes remain current and in line with industry needs, we invite our employers, graduates working in the field and current students to re-examine and update them during regular, ongoing program review focus groups.
Your future career options
- Personal Trainer
- Group Fitness Trainer
- Group Fitness Instructor
- Fitness Facility Manager/Owner
- Health Coach
Where you could work includes:
- Professional Health and Wellness Centres
- Large Corporations – Health and Wellness Centres
- Private Health Clubs
- Small Business Ownership
- Municipal Recreation Centres
- Amateur and Professional Sports Teams - Health and Wellness
- Emergency Services
- Fitness Training
Opportunities for grads
- Students will have the opportunity to challenge for the following certifications:
- Canfitpro – Personal Training Specialist*
- CPTN – Certified Personal Trainers Network*
- CSEP - Certified Personal Trainer
- NSCA – Certified Personal Trainer*
- ACE – Personal Trainer Certification
*Complete this at a reduced cost
Pathways to Mohawk
If you've successfully taken a course at another post-secondary institution, you may be able to earn course exemptions toward your credential here at Mohawk.
Pathways within Mohawk
If you have successfully completed one of the following programs at Mohawk, you may be eligible to receive transfer credit in this program. *
- Career Pathways
- General Arts and Science Certificate (College Transfer)
- General Arts and Science - English for Academic Purposes
- Pre-Health Sciences Pathway to Advanced Diplomas and Degrees
- Pre-Health Sciences Pathway to Certificates and Diplomas
- General Arts and Science Diploma (University Transfer)
- Occupational Therapist Assistant and Physiotherapist Assistant
- Police Foundations
We offer a diverse range of programs to further your studies within Mohawk following completion of this program. *
This Pathways map shows how the identified program can lead to future program choices within Mohawk.
Pathways beyond Mohawk
Earn a degree:
- Davenport University - Bachelor of Business Administration Sport Management
- Queen Margaret University - Bachelor of Science (Honours) Physical Activity, Health & Wellbeing
- Robert Gordon University - Bachelor of Science (Honours) Applied Sports & Exercise Science
- Technological University of the Shannon - Bachelor of Science (Honours) Sports Strength and Conditioning
See ontransfer.ca for additional opportunities at other colleges or universities in Ontario.
Search the Mohawk Transfer Database for opportunities outside of Ontario.
Industry Certification Options
Mohawk College Health, Wellness and Fitness is pleased to offer unique industry certification options to our students and recent graduates.