Free credit course. Job Opportunity. Apply today.
This is a SkillsAdvance Ontario project funded by Employment Ontario to train people with the technical, essential and employability skills needed in the Community and Long-Term Care sector.
Participate in the Foundations 1: Personal Support Worker credit course from Mohawk’s PSW diploma program. Develop employment skills through workshops with an Employment Consultant. Work with a Job Developer to prepare you for interviews, at the end of the 12-week course. Access ongoing employment support.
How to Apply
This is a competitive program with a two-step application process.
Complete a pre-assessment survey.
Interview with the City School team to assess eligibility
If you are interested in learning more, before applying, sign up for an information session!
If admitted into the program, you must be able to pass a Vulnerable Sector Screening criminal background check. In preparation for job placement interviews, with employers, you will be required to provide proof of a negative COVID-19 swab test and a TB skin test (step one). We will cover the costs of these items, but they are required for the paid work placement with our industry partners. If these may be a barrier for you, please check out our other City School courses
What You'll Learn
- Determine the role of the PSW in caring for families or individuals within a family.
- Explore safe practise guidelines in relation to infection control, body mechanics and the moving/positioning of clients.
- Develop effective communication strategies to employ when working with clients and as a member of the inter-professional health team.
- Enhance your employability skills through career-specific workshops and prepare for a career in community and long term care.
The SAO stream is designed to support direct entry into the community and long-term care sector in a entry-level care or support role. By participating in this SAO program, you will earn a credit toward the Personal Support Worker certificate. To learn more about the Personal Support Worker certificate, please follow the links below.
For related community and long-term care programs, please see:
- Practical Nursing
- Gerontology - Multidiscipline
- Long Term Care and Retirement Community Management
- Palliative Care - Multidiscipline
- Working with Dementia Clients - Multidiscipline
- Bridging for Internationally Educated Nurses
Participant Eligibility and Suitability
The SkillsAdvance Ontario (SAO) is accepting to those who meet the following criteria until the cohort reaches capacity:
- An interest in a career as a Personal Support Worker
- Legally entitled to work in Canada
- Unemployed or working less than 20-hours per week
- Not enrolled in full-time education
- 18 years old or over
Online Course Recommendations
Broadband Internet connection, desktop or laptop computer (tablet is acceptable), basic computer skills (web browsing & email, and document creation).
Phone: 905-575-1212 ext. 4042
This Employment Ontario project is funded in part by the Government of Canada and the Government of Ontario.