Virtual Reality Multimedia Production - 656
- Focus on technology, applications, storytelling and product management within the virtual reality landscape.
- Learn the fundamentals of design and production of AR/VR environments
- Deploy immersive and interactive content on all the latest AR/VR hardware like HTC Vive, Oculus Rift, Microsoft Halolens and many more
- Learn industry leading agile and product management skills to apply AR and VR solutions in gaming, engineering, aviation, education, architecture, health care and more.
- VR Innovation Academy at Mohawk established in partnership with EON Reality — a world leader in Augmented and Virtual Reality-based knowledge transfer for industry and education—allows students to specialize in AR/VR development, coding, modeling, and animation with a focus on industrial, medical, and educational uses.
- Client-based projects to build the student’s portfolio.
What you'll learn
- Establish design and development skills using AR/VR technology that can be applied to industries such as gaming, engineering, airline, education, architecture, health care and more.
- Gain experience with emerging technologies including Leap Motion, Microsoft Hololens, HTC Vive, Oculus Rift, and other immersive technology.
- Design quality realistic content including AR/VR immersive games and interactive storytelling experiences.
- Build and deploy for specific uses on iOS and Android mobile platforms.
- Gain knowledge and practical experience in 3D modeling, content creation, programming, and scripting for AR/VR reality.
Q&A: Virtual Reality Multimedia Production Graduate Certificate
What is AR/VR?
Augmented Reality (AR) is characterized by the incorporation of digital information including images, video and audio into real-world spaces. It blends reality with the virtual environment allowing users to interact with both physical and digital objects.
Virtual Reality (VR) enables users to step into an immersive, computer-simulated alternate world where sensory experiences can occur. Current VR technology most commonly uses either head-mounted devices such as Oculus Rift, HTC Vive or fully immersive projection screens.
Is AR/VR for me?
The ability to perform many of the cross-disciplinary functions for AR/VR and interactive digital media is dependent on being creative while also having a firm understanding of the underlying technology. This program is suited to energetic and enthusiastic individuals who have both a passion to succeed and a ‘can do’ attitude. The selected candidates will be highly motivated with an aptitude for developing creative and interactive digital content. A background in computer science, engineering, gaming, visual arts, digital media, or similar is ideal but not essential.
1 academic year (period of 9 months)
- The first semester is lecture and lab style taught sequentially, full-day delivery.
- The second semester is focused exclusively on experiential learning. An industry partner presents a current challenge they are facing where an AR/VR solution would be a potential solution. Students are guided through the entire process from Problem definition, ideation, solution definition, development and deployment of the solution. Students will learn to work on an agile team to produce the finished product.
Marilyn Powers PhD P.Eng.
Department of Business and Media Studies
Visit Open House Plus, an on-demand, curated collection of videos, interviews and blogs about our programs, student services and supports! Get answers to your questions, watch video greeting from Deans and faculty, stay up-to-date on virtual events and more.
We’re here for you to support applications and admissions by providing online and virtual service.
Applied and have questions?
The admissions team is available to help, you can contact them via Admissions or by phone at 1-844-767-6871.
Haven’t applied and need help?
Connect with an advisor by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 905-575-2460.
In the news
- The Hamilton Spectator: Virtual reality the real deal at Mohawk College
- CHCH: A California based virtual reality software company is teaming up with Mohawk College
- Newsdesk: Mohawk College AVR lab opening
TheSpec: Mohawk EON AVR Lab
Tuition and Fees
Tuition and Fees
2020 - 2021 Domestic Tuition and Fees
|Semester 1||Semester 2|
|Compulsory Ancillary Fees||$704.51||$698.20|
|Compulsory Program Fees||$0.00||$0.00|
|Total Domestic Charges Per Semester||$5,263.27||$6,233.84|
|Total 1st Year Fees||$11,497.11|
Above fees based on full-time September program start date. Contact Student Services to confirm fees for other start dates or semesters.
- Awards: Scholarships and Bursaries
- OSAP Eligible. Learn about Ontario Student Assistance Program (OSAP).
- Full Cost Breakdown
2020 - 2021 International Tuition and Fees
|Semester 1||Semester 2|
|Total Tuition & Ancillary Fee||$8,376.00||$8,432.00|
|Program Compulsory Fees||$0.00||$0.00|
|International Tax Recovery||$450.00||$375.00|
|Total International Per Semester||$8,826.00||$8,807.00|
|Total 1st Year Fees||$17,633.00|
- International Scholarships and Bursaries
- OSAP not eligible for International Students
- Full Cost Breakdown
If you pay by wire transfer, please note your bank might charge you a fee to transfer money. Make sure your transfer includes the Mohawk payment and the wire transfer fee. This applies to each wire transfer payment you make.
Domestic and International student admission requirements
- Ontario College Diploma or University Degree. A background in graphic design, animation, broadcast media, film, computer engineering or computer science is recommended but not required
- Related work experience and/or postsecondary education (as determined by the College) will be considered on a case-by-case basis
- Proof of English proficiency for applicants where English is not their first language must be submitted to Ontario Colleges.
English Language Requirements
If English is not your first language or you have earned the equivalent of the Ontario Secondary School Diploma or post-secondary education outside of Canada, you will be required to provide proof of one of the following:
- IELTS overall band of 6.0 with no band less than 5.5
- TOEFL iBT 80, no band less than 20
- TOEFL Paper-based, overall score 550
- CAEL (Canadian Academic English Language Assessment), 70
- PTE (Pearson Test of English) Academic 58
- CLBPT (Canadian Language Benchmark Placement Test), overall score 7, no band less than 7
- Completion of level 8 of the General Arts and Science - English for Academic Purposes (GAS-EAP). Placement in the GAS-EAP program is determined by scores on an in-house English language test or TOEFL or IELTS
Applicants whose first language is not English will be required to demonstrate proficiency in English. Options are available for mature applicants.
How you’ll gain skills
- Apply cumulative program knowledge through a capstone research project.
- Test and apply course concepts using advanced software in our labs.
- Experience interactive simulations through AR/VR technology.
To learn more, please visit the Centre for Experiential Learning.
Your future career options
- Mobile Development
- Digital Media Producer
- Product Manager
- Augmented and Virtual Reality Programmer
- Project Manager
- Game Design
- Virtual Reality Events
- Virtual Reality Artist
- Interactive Designer
Where you can work
- Skilled Trades
Opportunities for grads
- Graduates will receive an EON Reality AR/VR Developer Certificate.
Where you can go next
Program of Studies
Domestic Canadian Students
Contact Student Recruitment
Contact our Student Recruitment team for information on our programs, student life, and more.
Contact our Admissions advisors for help with your application.
Contact International Student Recruitment
Contact our International Student Recruitment team for information on programs, how to apply, and student life.
Toll free phone numbers:
For general questions: 1-888-Mohawk9 (1-888-664-2959)
North China: 10-800-714-2521
South China: 10-800-140-2541