General Arts and Science - English for Academic Purposes (Domestic) - 278
Note: GAS-EAP is for students of English as a Second or Other Language.
In September 2023, we will launch a NEW version of our GAS-English for Academic Purposes (EAP) program to improve student success!
If you plan to attend EAP in September 2023 or later, please visit the new GAS-EAP 2023-2024 program page.
Current students or new students who join EAP from September 2022 to May 2023 will be able to finish their current EAP program OR will move into the new EAP program or the new Pre-EAP course. We will help each student to make this transition.
The new program begins at a low-intermediate level, so lower levels will gradually be suspended (no longer offered) beginning on the following dates:
- Level 1 – suspended in Sept 2022.
- Level 2 – suspended in January 2023.
- Note: Students who apply to start EAP in 2023 but who test below IELTS 2.5 will be referred to other community programs.
- Level 3 – suspended in March 2023.
- Level 4 – suspended in May 2023.
- A Pre-EAP Foundations course will start in May 2023 in Mohawk Continuing Education for students who test at IELTS 2.5-3.0 or equivalent. Successfully completing this course will allow students to join the new post-secondary EAP program in September 2023.
- Level 5 will be offered to new and returning students in May 2023, but to returning students only in July 2023. New students who apply to start EAP in July and who test at IELTS 4.5-5.0 or equivalent will be asked to defer their start to September in Semester 2 of the new EAP program.
- Levels 5, 6, and 7 - suspended in September 2023.
- The new post-secondary EAP Program starts in September 2023.
- Level 8 will be offered to returning students only in September 2023.
Please contact EAP [at] mohawkcollege.ca with any questions.
|Semester Length||Start Date||End Date||Drop|
|January to April, 2023||January 4||April 14||January 17|
|May to August, 2023||May 8||August 18||May 19|
OCAS Applications will close on Friday, December 23 for the Winter 2023 Semester.
- Successful completion of Level 8 will waive the English Language Proficiency Requirements for selected Mohawk College career programs.
Gain postsecondary credits.
A coordinator will assist you in selecting courses that meet your needs.
Canadian students may be eligible for OSAP (Ontario Student Assistance Program).
The multi-level program ensures that you will have new challenges as you progress through the program and transition into postsecondary programs.
What you'll learn
- Improve language skills in listening, speaking, reading and writing.
Do you have IELTS/TOEFL score? You may be eligible to get into a higher level of GAS-EAP (See grade conversion chart)
This program is intended for learners whose first language is not English and who want to pursue college level programs requiring English language proficiency.
View the Exceptions Calendar for start dates and semester break information.
We’re here for you to support applications and admissions by providing online and virtual service.
Applied and have questions?
The admissions team is available to help, you can contact them via Admissions or by phone at 1-844-767-6871.
Haven’t applied and need help?
Contact us or phone 905-575-2460.
For the Winter 2022 terms, the Mohawk EAP Program will be delivered in a blended format. “Blended” means that each level will have some class hours online but most will be face-to-face on campus.
This program is not for absolute beginners nor for students whose first language is English.
English Assessment Requirements:
- You may do an English test at the Mohawk College Testing Centre, or you may submit scores from an approved English assessment on the chart below. Scores must be official and may not be more than one year old (temporary exception: CLBs up to two 2 years old).
- You may submit no more than two (2) approved English assessments per semester for placement in EAP. We will use the most recent test scores to decide your placement.
- To enter EAP, you need a minimum of IELTS 2.0 (or equivalent) with no band below 2.
- You will be placed in an EAP level according to your lowest individual skill score. For example, if you have an IELTS 2.5 in Speaking and Listening, a 3.0 in Writing, and a 4.5 in Reading, we will place you in Level 2, according to the chart below.
- After we receive your official test scores, an EAP professor will meet with you to confirm and communicate your EAP level. We reserve the right to adjust the placement of or to re-test any student whose in-person skills do not reflect test scores.
Note: International Students visit General Arts and Science - English for Academic Purposes (International)
ENTRY PLACEMENT CHART
Meets Language Requirements for
|SCORE AT ENTRY|
|Most Graduate Certificate or Advance Diploma Programs||
no band below 6.0
no score below 8
83 or 88
|Most Diploma Programs||
no band below 5.5
no score below 7
|80 - 82||105+|
with band below 5.5
with score below 7
|60 - 78||100|
EAP Level 7
|CLB 6||46 - 59||90|
EAP Level 6
|CLB 5||35 - 45||80|
EAP Level 5
|CLB 4||28 - 34||65|
EAP Level 4
|CLB 3.5||25 - 27||55|
EAP Level 3
|CLB 3||12 - 24||45|
The above scores are required for entry into an EAP level *
- Important: Entry for the GAS-EAP program closes after week 1
- Mohawk College reserves the right to limit, cancel, adjust or relocate classes/courses/programs of instruction if necessary. Classes will be cancelled if they do not meet the minimum enrolment levels before the start date. The college will make a diligent effort to contact you in advance if a class must be cancelled. However, the college cannot assume responsibility for any expenses (travel, etc...) incurred if you arrive for a class that has been cancelled or rescheduled.
Tuition and Fees
2022 - 2023 Domestic Tuition and Fees
Part-time student tuition and ancillary fees for this program are calculated according to number of courses and number of hours.
Above fees based on full-time September program start date. Contact Student Services to confirm fees for other start dates or semesters.
- Awards: Scholarships and Bursaries
- OSAP Eligible. Learn about Ontario Student Assistance Program (OSAP).
- Full Cost Breakdown
Course Overview & Descriptions
Click on the course title for a course description.
Program Learning Outcomes, often referred to as ‘Program Standards', set out the essential learning that a student must achieve before being deemed ready to graduate.
- Review the program learning outcomes for General Arts and Science - English for Academic Purposes (Domestic) (278)
In many cases these program learning outcomes were developed by the Ministry of Colleges and Universities (MCU) in consultation with employers and educators who are experts in the program field. To ensure the outcomes remain current and in line with industry needs, we invite our employers, graduates working in the field and current students to re-examine and update them during regular, ongoing program review focus groups.
Pathways to Mohawk
If you've successfully taken a course at another post-secondary institution, you may be able to earn course exemptions toward your credential here at Mohawk.
Pathways beyond Mohawk
See ontransfer.ca for additional opportunities at other colleges or universities in Ontario.
Search the Mohawk Transfer Database for opportunities outside of Ontario.
Domestic Canadian Students
Contact Student Recruitment
Haven’t applied yet and have questions?
Contact our Student Recruitment team for information on programs, how to apply, and more.
Contact our Admissions advisors for help with your application.
Contact International Student Recruitment
Contact our International Student Recruitment team for information on programs, how to apply, and student life.
Toll free phone numbers:
For general questions: 1-888-Mohawk9 (1-888-664-2959)
North China: 10-800-714-2521
South China: 10-800-140-2541
For general EAP inquiries, please email eap [at] mohawkcollege.ca.