General Arts and Science - English for Academic Purposes (Domestic) - 278
|Semester Length||Start Date||End Date||Drop|
|May to August, 2022||May 9||August 19||May 20|
|September to December, 2022||September 7||December 16||September 20|
|January to April, 2023||January 4||April 14||January 17|
Last day to apply on OCAS for Summer 2022 - April 28, 2022.
- Successful completion of Level 8 will waive the English Language Proficiency Requirements for selected Mohawk College career programs.
Gain postsecondary credits.
A coordinator will assist you in selecting courses that meet your needs.
Canadian students may be eligible for OSAP (Ontario Student Assistance Program).
The multi-level program ensures that you will have new challenges as you progress through the program and transition into postsecondary programs.
What you'll learn
- Improve language skills in listening, speaking, reading and writing.
Do you have IELTS/TOEFL score? You may be eligible to get into a higher level of GAS-EAP (See grade conversion chart)
This program is intended for learners whose first language is not English and who want to pursue college level programs requiring English language proficiency.
View the Exceptions Calendar for start dates and semester break information.
Explore our many videos, online resources and program options within the Open House Plus website.
We’re here for you to support applications and admissions by providing online and virtual service.
Applied and have questions?
The admissions team is available to help, you can contact them via Admissions or by phone at 1-844-767-6871.
Haven’t applied and need help?
Contact us or phone 905-575-2460.
For the Winter 2022 terms, the Mohawk EAP Program will be delivered in a blended format. “Blended” means that each level will have some class hours online but most will be face-to-face on campus.
This program is not for absolute beginners nor for students whose first language is English.
English Assessment Requirements:
- You may do an English test at the Mohawk College Testing Centre, or you may submit scores from an approved English assessment on the chart below. Scores must be official and may not be more than one year old (temporary exception: CLBs up to two 2 years old).
- You may submit no more than two (2) approved English assessments per semester for placement in EAP. We will use the most recent test scores to decide your placement.
- To enter EAP, you need a minimum of IELTS 2.0 (or equivalent) with no band below 2.
- You will be placed in an EAP level according to your lowest individual skill score. For example, if you have an IELTS 2.5 in Speaking and Listening, a 3.0 in Writing, and a 4.5 in Reading, we will place you in Level 2, according to the chart below.
- After we receive your official test scores, an EAP professor will meet with you to confirm and communicate your EAP level. We reserve the right to adjust the placement of or to re-test any student whose in-person skills do not reflect test scores.
Note: International Students visit General Arts and Science - English for Academic Purposes (International)
ENTRY PLACEMENT CHART
Meets Language Requirements for
|SCORE AT ENTRY|
|Most Graduate Certificate or Advance Diploma Programs||
no band below 6.0
no score below 8
83 or 88
|Most Diploma Programs||
no band below 5.5
no score below 7
|80 - 82||105+|
with band below 5.5
with score below 7
|60 - 78||100|
EAP Level 7
|CLB 6||46 - 59||90|
EAP Level 6
|CLB 5||35 - 45||80|
EAP Level 5
|CLB 4||28 - 34||65|
EAP Level 4
|CLB 3.5||25 - 27||55|
EAP Level 3
|CLB 3||12 - 24||45|
EAP Level 2
|CLB 2.5||17 - 20||35|
EAP Level 1
no band below 2
no score below 2
The above scores are required for entry into an EAP level *
- Important: Entry for the GAS-EAP program closes after week 1
- Mohawk College reserves the right to limit, cancel, adjust or relocate classes/courses/programs of instruction if necessary. Classes will be cancelled if they do not meet the minimum enrolment levels before the start date. The college will make a diligent effort to contact you in advance if a class must be cancelled. However, the college cannot assume responsibility for any expenses (travel, etc...) incurred if you arrive for a class that has been cancelled or rescheduled.
Tuition and Fees
Winter and Summer 2022 Domestic Tuition and Fees
Part-time student tuition and ancillary fees for this program are calculated according to number of courses and number of hours.
Above fees based on full-time September program start date. Contact Student Services to confirm fees for other start dates or semesters.
- Awards: Scholarships and Bursaries
- OSAP Eligible. Learn about Ontario Student Assistance Program (OSAP).
- Full Cost Breakdown
Course Overview & Descriptions
Click on the course title for a course description.
Program Learning Outcomes, often referred to as ‘Program Standards', set out the essential learning that a student must achieve before being deemed ready to graduate.
- Review the program learning outcomes for General Arts and Science - English for Academic Purposes (Domestic) (278)
In many cases these program learning outcomes were developed by the Ministry of Colleges and Universities (MCU) in consultation with employers and educators who are experts in the program field. To ensure the outcomes remain current and in line with industry needs, we invite our employers, graduates working in the field and current students to re-examine and update them during regular, ongoing program review focus groups.
Pathways to Mohawk
If you've successfully taken a course at another post-secondary institution, you may be able to earn course exemptions toward your credential here at Mohawk.
Pathways beyond Mohawk
See ontransfer.ca for additional opportunities at other colleges or universities in Ontario.
Search the Mohawk Transfer Database for opportunities outside of Ontario.
Domestic Canadian Students
Contact Student Recruitment
Haven’t applied yet and have questions?
Contact our Student Recruitment team for information on programs, how to apply, and more.
Contact our Admissions advisors for help with your application.
Contact International Student Recruitment
Contact our International Student Recruitment team for information on programs, how to apply, and student life.
Toll free phone numbers:
For general questions: 1-888-Mohawk9 (1-888-664-2959)
North China: 10-800-714-2521
South China: 10-800-140-2541
For general EAP inquiries, please email eap [at] mohawkcollege.ca.