Nature and Scope
Located at various campuses, the Writing Centre is dedicated to improving student employability and academic success by developing written and verbal communication skills. The Centre provides activities to develop communication skills, including peer tutoring and writing consultations, APA, grammar software programs, reading comprehension exercises, self-directed workshops and ESL Conversation Clubs.
From the first day of classes to the last day of classes in a given semester.
Please note: Paid Peer Tutor Training is mandatory for all hired Peer Tutors and is scheduled prior to the start of the semester
Writing Centre Tutors are compensated at a rate of $14.00 per hour plus 4% in lieu of vacation. Writing Centre Tutors may work a maximum of 15 hours per week (hours are not guaranteed and number of hours per week may change subject to demand). Writing Centre Tutors are expected to complete bi-weekly pay records through the Mohawk College Web Entry system. Pay is deposited bi-weekly via direct deposit.
Academics and Time Commitment
Writing Centre Tutors will make available up to 15 hours a week for Tutor activities (actual number may vary, subject to demand). All Writing Centre Tutors are students first and are therefore expected to model positive academic habits and maintain a strong GPA (85%) throughout the duration of their employment. Writing Centre Tutors are expected to give the responsibilities of the position priority over all other activities except those which pertain to his/her academic success.
Qualifications and Conditions of Employment
- Must be currently enrolled in a Mohawk College program
- A Minimum Grade Point Average of 85% prior to and during the contract term
- Reference from Mohawk College instructor or staff member
- Attend all necessary training
- Maintain confidentiality
- Assist students to develop their communication skills by providing writing consultations for written work: grammar, punctuation, APA, structure and format etc…
- Work as part of a team of fellow student peer tutors and faculty members
- Tutor students in concepts covered in first year Communication courses
- Refer students to relevant Helpful Fact sheets or software/resources unit for independent study
- Assist students with brainstorming - ensuring that they are on track with their Communications course assignment
- Assist ESL students with practising their speaking, writing, listening and reading skills
- Assist and participate with Customized Services, class visits, outreach as required
- Prior to the commencement of the term of the contract, each peer tutor candidate must complete the following:
- Online training
- In person group training session
- Completion and submission of all required paperwork
Apply for a Position
If you are interested in becoming a Mohawk College Peer Tutor for the current academic year please fill out an application form.
Note that applications are kept on file for one academic year.