What is the Peer Mentorship Program?
The purpose of the Peer Mentorship Program at Mohawk College is to support your transition into life at Mohawk and to contribute to your personal and academic success. You will be matched with an upper-term student to help guide you through your 1st year at the college and offer friendly support.
How can a Peer Mentor Help Me?
- Answering questions about college life
- Helping with the adjustment to college life and getting involved
- Providing tips around college survival skills and how to succeed
- Assisting with problemsolving and goal-setting
- Providing information on various workshops and events
- Helping access campus resources and student services
- Offering tips on exam preparation, managing stress, increasing motivation, etc.
- Providing friendly face to connect with throughout the year!
What are the expectations of Peer Mentees in the program?
- Meet with your assigned mentor before the end of September and complete the boundaries and expectations discussion in order to sustain a healthy mentorship relationship
- Maintain regular contact with your assigned mentor through informal check-ins and meetings throughout the year
- Attend the Peer Mentorship Program Meet & Greet in September
- Communicate with Student Life if you have any concerns about the program
- Complete any formal program evaluations sent out by the Student Life team
How will I get matched with a Peer Mentor?
All mentees will get matched with Peer Mentors at the beginning of September. The Peer Mentorship Program team will attempt to match you with a mentor based on the key elements you have indicated on your Peer Mentee Application. If a mentor that matches your request is not available, we will attempt to pair you with someone who is as close to your requests as possible.
Looking for Mentorship before the fall?
Access Mohawk’s E-Mentor on the Orientation page of Mohawk College’s website by clicking on “Ask an E-Mentor.”
Ready to become a Mentor?
If you have completed a semester at Mohawk College and think you are ready to support a new student with their transition into our Mohawk community, complete the Peer Mentor Application today. For any questions, please contact ingiemetwally [at] mohawkcollege.ca.