Mohawk College Library is committed to providing equal access to services and collections to all students, faculty and staff of the College. Where library facilities and/or services are inaccessible, the Library will accommodate users with disabilities to examine sources, retrieve materials, and access services.
If you are a student with a disability and you need a library resource in an accessible format contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
The following eBook resources have accessibility features built in:
- Ebook Central: If you are using a screen reader, have it ‘read’ the banner at the top of the page. It will ‘read’ the option of displaying the book’s content in screen-readable-text mode. Select this mode. If you have further accessibility needs, contact Proquest Customer Service to request accessibility mode for your account.
- EBSCOhost eBooks: JAWS version 12 in combination with Firefox web browser must be used to support ARIA (Accessible Rich Internet Applications) standards. Accessibility Information for EBSCO Interfaces.
- Safari eBooks includes keyboard shortcuts to enhance accessibilty. If you are using a screen reader, contact Safari Customer Service to switch to a version of the Content Reader that is accessible to screen readers.
- EBSCOhost Audiobooks: JAWS version 12 in combination with Firefox web browser must be used to support ARIA (Accessible Rich Internet Applications) standards. Accessibility Information for EBSCO Interfaces.
The following online video resources have accessibility features built in. If you come across a video in one of these collections that is not Closed Captioned, contact email@example.com.
- CBC Curio
- Common Craft Online Videos
- Films on Demand
- McNabb Connolly Video Collection
- Videatives Online Videos
- National Film Board
- McIntyre Media
If you are in need of a document in an alternate format not provided in the magazine/journal database or accessible by any software that you currently use, please contact the library.
- EBSCOhost: EBSCOhost databases can be navigated with only a keyboard. As well, a text-to-speech reader application appears on magazine/journal article displays. Accessibility Information for EBSCO Interfaces
- ProQuest: Much of the content within ProQuest is available in PDF format. Links will open in a new window on your computer to view documents in PDF format. Some PDFs have been created from scanned text and are therefore accessible to screen readers. However, a large proportion of older content, as well as content provided by third-party publishers, was created from scanned images of original text. Text in the images is not accessible to screen readers. This content is identified with the label 'Scanned image PDF.' The label appears on links and page headers where appropriate. Accessibility Information for Proquest Interfaces
Adaptive Technology Workstations
The library has eight computer workstations designated for use by students with disabilities. These workstations are located in the bizHUB and Cummings library. Ask staff at the customer service desk for exact locations.
All accessible workstations are equipped with the following adaptive software: Dragon Naturally Speaking, Inspiration, FS Reader, Jaws, Kurzweil Educational Systems, Word Q3 and ZoomText. To learn more about adaptive technology and the services available at Mohawk College, please visit the Accessible Learning website.