Nature and Scope
The Student Success Mentor will support the development and delivery of initiatives to help students strengthen their learning skills, improve their confidence, increase their motivation, and connect to the college, their program, faculty, and each other. This is an excellent position for students interested in developing their leadership skills and working/helping others achieve success.
- Assist with the planning and administration of Student Success Initiatives - Rebound, Keys to Success, Tutor/P.A.S.S. Professional Development, and other LSC events
- As a peer, engage with students in workshops, activities, and one-to-one activities
- Assist with student success marketing and promotion of student success initiatives
- As a peer, present/facilitate student success skills to peers at workshops
- Work closely with the LSC staff as well as other student leaders
The Student Success Mentor role provides the student leader with an opportunity to develop and enhance many skills, including:
- Public speaking and workshop facilitation
- Information gathering and one-on-one support through peer-to-peer student success meetings
- Active listening
- Written and verbal communication
- Excellent oral and written communication skills and interpersonal skills
- Excellent presentation skills
- Strong time management and organization skills
- Excellent computer skills (Microsoft Office Suite, e-Learn)
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize work with a focus on customer service
- Attention to detail and high degree of accuracy
- Troubleshooting skills and ability to take initiative
- Ability to independently and in a team setting
- Experience with coordinating events/event planning an asset
- Social Media experience and Web Page editing skills an asset
- Research and videography skills would be an asset
From the first day of classes to the last day of classes in a given semester.
Prior to the commencement of the term of the contract, each candidate must attend mandatory training and complete the required paperwork.
Please note: Paid training is mandatory for all student leaders and is scheduled prior to the semester beginning.
The Student Success Mentor is compensated at a rate of $14.00 per hour plus 4% in lieu of vacation. The Student Success Mentor may work a maximum of 15 hours per week (hours are not guaranteed and number of hours per week may change subject to demand). The Student Success Mentors is expected to complete bi-weekly pay records through the Mohawk College Web Entry system. Pay is deposited bi-weekly via direct deposit.
Academics and Time Commitment
The Student Success Mentor can make available up to 15 hours a week (actual number may vary, subject to demand). The Student Success Mentor is a student first and is therefore expected to model positive academic habits and maintain a strong GPA (85%) throughout the duration of their employment. The Student Success Mentor is expected to give the responsibilities of the position priority over all other college activities except those which pertain to his/her academic success.
The Student Success Mentor is also required to be available and present at Student Success Indicatives workshops and events which includes Bounce Back, Rebound, Road to College Success, Tutor/P.A.S.S. Professional Development and other LSC events which may occur on evenings, weekends, or break week/reading week.
Apply for a Position
If you are interested in becoming a Mohawk College the Student Success Mentor for the current academic year please fill out an application form.
Note that applications are kept on file for one academic year.