Floral Techniques - Basic - 805
Explore the principles and practices of floral design including form techniques, composition, colour, plant identification and care and handling. Learn to create the floral arrangements for any occasion with creative expression and originality.
View courses available this term under Program of Studies.
You do not need to apply to begin this program, simply ensure you meet the admission requirements (listed on the Admission & Registration tab) and then you may register for any available courses.
Please note that the cost of materials is the student's responsibility.
- Personal enrichment/growth
- Acquire skills for employment in the floral industry
- Practical hands-on experience in each class
- Development of creativity to design various arrangements for yourself and others
- Learn the techniques to create basic design styles leading into more advanced styles
- Learn the techniques to create arrangements/floral pieces for different occasions - wedding, funerals, Christmas, Thanksgiving
- Understand the principles and elements of design and the proper usage of colour and the mechanics
- Be introduced to using a variety of fresh flowers/foliage/artificial
Admission & Registration
- Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD) or equivalent (Mohawk Academic Upgrading, GED) OR 19 years of age or older.
- Successful completion of Secondary School English or equivalent.
- Some manual dexterity is required for the use of sharp tools.
You do not need to apply to begin this program. Start by ensuring you meet the admission requirements listed above and then register for the courses listed in the Program of Studies when they are offered. Some courses have prerequisites, so please check the Program of Studies for details. Find out how to register for a course.
Program of Studies
The program of studies displayed below applies to students starting the program in the 2019/20 academic year. Students who began in other academic years may require different courses to be eligible to graduate. If you have questions regarding a strategy for completion contact Continuing Education - Interdisciplinary, Creative, Media and Business
Click on the Course number or Course title for more information on each course.
Visit the Mohawk College Bookstore Textbook Search (opens in new window) for information on textbooks.
A selection of courses are available each term. Courses that are currently not available (N/A) for registration may be offered in the future – check back frequently.
|Register||Course number||Course title||Course Hours|
|N/A||FLORFC001||Techniques And Color Harmonies Basic||30.00|
|N/A||FLORFC002||Wedding Work And Special Occasion||36.00|
|N/A||FLORFC003||Special Floral Tributes||30.00|
|N/A||FLORFC004||Materials For Designs||30.00|
|N/A||FLORFC005||Designing With Exotics||30.00|
|N/A||FLORFC006||Special Design Workshop||30.00|
|N/A||FLORFC205||Style Trends in Design||30.00|
Visit CE Get Started, your go-to online resource for getting started. You’ll find information on online tools and the wide range of student services available to you to support your success as a Mohawk College student and to help you achieve your future goals!
Login to MyMohawk
MyMohawk is the college portal used to access your student account information, email, grades and more. Your username and password can be found on the Continuing Education Acknowledgement of Registration & Student Account form that was sent to you after you registered for your course. Visit the Getting Started - MyMohawk Guide for step-by-step instructions.
Access Mohawk Email
On the MyMohawk Home screen you will see a link to Mohawk email. Visit the Getting Started – Mohawk Email Guide to learn how to set up your account on your devices.
On the MyMohawk Home screen you will see a link to MyCanvas, Mohawk College’s Learning Management System. Visit the Getting Started - MyCanvas for step-by-step instructions. Please note your course will not appear in MyCanvas until the scheduled start date.
Find your Textbook
Use the Mohawk College Textbook Search to find your course materials.
Explore Contacts and Services
Frequently Asked Questions
- Prepare individuals to enter the retail florist industries & wholesale environments
- Learn to create basic to advanced styles with confidence
- Sound knowledge of colour theory, principles and elements of design
- Identify the proper care and handling for fresh flowers, foliage, flowering plants
- Demonstrate the ability to create suitable floral arrangements for different occasions in keeping with client requests and cost constraints
Interested in a workshop?
Non-credit workshops may be offered. Visit our Workshops page for details.
- Employment in retail florist store, banquet/convention centre, greenhouse, garden centre, wholesale
- Sales associate, junior floral designer, window display work, visual presentation opportunities