Floral Techniques - Basic - 805
Explore the principles and practices of floral design including form techniques, composition, colour, plan identification and care and handling. Learn to create the floral arrangements for any occasion with creative, expression and originality.
Cost of materials is your responsibility.
- Personal enrichment/growth
- Acquire skills for employment in the floral industry
- Practical hands-on experience in each class
- Development of creativity to design various arrangements for yourself and others
- Learn the techniques to create basic design styles leading into more advanced styles
- Learn the techniques to create arrangements/floral pieces for different occasions - wedding, funerals, Christmas, Thanksgiving
- Understand the principles and elements of design and the proper usage of colour and the mechanics
- Be introduced to using a variety of fresh flowers/foliage/artificial
Admission & Registration
- Ontario Secondary School Diploma (OSSD) or equivalent (Mohawk Academic Upgrading, GED) OR 19 years of age or older.
- Successful completion of Secondary School English or equivalent.
- Some manual dexterity is required for the use of sharp tools.
You do not need to apply to begin this program. Start by ensuring you meet the admission requirements listed above and then register for the courses listed in the Program of Studies when they are offered. Some courses have prerequisites, so please check the Program of Studies for details. Find out how to register for a course.
Interested in a workshop?
Non-credit workshops may be offered. Visit our Workshops page for details.
- Employment in retail florist store, banquet/convention centre, greenhouse, garden centre, wholesale
- Sales associate, junior floral designer, window display work, visual presentation opportunities
Program of Studies
The program of studies displayed below applies to students starting the program in the 2017/18 academic year. Students who began in other academic years may require different courses to be eligible to graduate. If you have questions regarding a strategy for completion contact Continuing Education - Creative, Media and Interdisciplinary Studies.
Click on the Course number or Course title for more information on each course.
Visit the Mohawk College Bookstore Textbook Search (opens in new window) for information on textbooks.
A selection of courses are available each term. Courses that are currently not available (N/A) for registration may be offered in the future – check back frequently.
|Register||Course number||Course title||Course Hours|
|N/A||FLORFC001||Techniques And Color Harmonies Basic||30.00|
|N/A||FLORFC002||Wedding Work And Special Occasion||36.00|
|N/A||FLORFC003||Special Floral Tributes||30.00|
|N/A||FLORFC004||Materials For Designs||30.00|
|N/A||FLORFC005||Designing With Exotics||30.00|
|N/A||FLORFC006||Special Design Workshop||30.00|
|N/A||FLORFC205||Style Trends in Design||30.00|
- Prepare individuals to enter the retail florist industries & wholesale environments
- Learn to create basic to advanced styles with confidence
- Sound knowledge of colour theory, principles and elements of design
- Identify the proper care and handling for fresh flowers, foliage, flowering plants
- Demonstrate the ability to create suitable floral arrangements for different occasions in keeping with client requests and cost constraints