Continuing Education FAQ

Q: Where do I find out which courses are being offered this term?

A: We have a course catalogue for each term which lists what is being offered, when it will be offered, and the fee of the course. You can find this link attached to each program page and it can also be found under the Continuing Education tab.

You can also visit the Find a Course page to see an alphabetical list of courses offered and register right from that page.

Q: How do I know when I can register for a course or a specific program?

A: We have three main intakes in Continuing Education-Fall, Winter, and Spring. Fall courses begin in September and registration opens in August. Winter courses begin in January and registration opens in November. Spring courses begin at the end of April/beginning of May and registration opens in March. We also have online courses that have monthly start dates throughout each term. Visit our Monthly Intake page to see when online courses will be available each term.

Q: I’m interested in taking a specific program at Mohawk College. Where can I find more information?

A: Please visit the CE Program Search page to search for the program you are interested in. You can then visit the Program Page which will include information on admissions, the program of study, learning outcomes, employment opportunities, and any additional information you may need. All programs currently offered are also found in the Continuing Education Catalogue with current course offering, fee, and scheduling information.

Q: What is a Program of Study?

A: The Program of Study lists all of the courses a student needs to complete to receive an acknowledgement of completion, certificate, or diploma. The program of study can be found on the program page and in the catalogue.

Q: How many courses can I take per semester?

A: This varies depending on which program you are pursuing. In general, you may take as many courses as you want per semester, however it is important to look closely at the Program of Studies for your desired certificate, diploma or acknowledgment, as many courses have prerequisites and must be completed in a specified order. Depending on your other time commitments, you may wish to start with one or two courses, then you will get a sense of the workload relative to your personal situation.

Q: What is the meaning of the number of hours given for each course?

A: The number of hours shown are "equivalent classroom hours". Thus, the workload for a 42 hour distance education course would be about the same as if you took a course through the traditional classroom delivery that is offered three hours per week for 14 weeks. We estimate that the student workload for one course is approximately 6 - 10 hours per week.

Q: I have registered for a course, what are my next steps?

A: You will receive a receipt indicating the course you have registered for and it will provide you with a Mohawk ID, email address, and login information to access MyMohawk which is our portal for access to eLearn, email, registration, payment processes, grades and more. You receive an Acknowledgment of Registration immediately when registering in person. If you register online or via fax/mailing, you will receive your acknowledgement of registration in the mail. 

Q: Do I need a student card as a Continuing Education student?

A: Our student cards are called a ONEcard but they are not mandatory for Continuing Education students. While it is commonly used for identification purposes, your ONE Card can be used for food purchases on campus, purchases at the bookstore, Mohawk Library privileges and equipment loan, discounts at external vendors in the Hamilton area, and printing and photocopying. If you wish to purchase a card you can buy one at the ONEcard office for $10.

Q: I am registered for an in-class course or workshop, where do I find my classroom location?

A: Classroom locations are posted on WhereEnCampus. Under the "Continuing Education courses" tab on the left hand side, click "All courses" and then type in your course title or course code and the classroom for your course will populate.

Q: How much does the program cost?

A: Fees are displayed next to available courses in the catalogue. In Continuing Education, you pay for each course individually as you register.

Q: How does Online Learning Work? Can I do courses at my “own pace”?

A: There are many benefits to taking an online course, including having some flexibility to fit your schedule, and being able to complete coursework from anywhere. However, you cannot start courses late, nor finish early. Please see our What Is Online Learning webpage for important information regarding online learning, including information on OntarioLearn and eLearn.

Q: I am having technical difficulties with my online course, who can I contact to get help?

A: For online courses offered through eLearn, please contact the Mohawk College Help Desk. For courses offered through OntarioLearn, you may contact the 24 hour OntarioLearn technical support line. Additional instructions on how to access your online course can be found here.

Q: Where do I find my textbooks?

A: You can search for textbooks through the Mohawk College Bookstore here.

Q: Where do I write exams, if there are any?
A:  Many online courses have an in-person exam which will be written at the Fennell campus. However, exams can be coordinated at a number of different locations across the province for those students who reside a considerable distance from Mohawk College. Important information regarding exams and our proctor process can be found here.

Q: I have completed all courses needed for my acknowledgement of completion. How do I receive this document?

A: Once your grades have been posted for the courses needed in your Acknowledgement of Completion, you can fill out this form and send in to the Continuing Education Office, i124.

Q: I have completed all courses needed to receive my certificate/diploma. What are the next steps?

A: You may request your certificate/diploma once all final grades have been submitted for the required courses of your program. Regardless of whether or not you wish to attend the Convocation ceremony, you still need to apply to graduate. Continuing Education Convocation takes place in October of each year. Eligible students are responsible for applying to graduate by August 15th. Residency requirements and course/program currency requirements must be met. Visit our Preparation for Convocation page for full details.

Q: Are there resources available to help me succeed in my Continuing Education studies?

A: MCACES is the Mohawk College Association of Continuing Education Students. They provide Academic and Career Coaching as well as various other services such as Peer Tutoring to help you succeed in your current studies, but also help plan for when your studies are complete. For more information on MCACES and their services, please see the MCACES website.

Q: Is there a chance my course could be cancelled?

A: The college may need to cancel courses from time to time. If a course must be cancelled or rescheduled, diligent effort will be made to contact students before the course is scheduled to begin. Other course options will be presented to students at this time so they may continue their studies. Should these options not be suitable, students will receive a full refund in the form of a cheque in approximately 4 to 6 weeks to the address they have on file.

Q: I need to withdraw from my course, will I be penalized?

A: You can withdraw from your course and receive a refund (minus a $20 administrative fee) within 6 days after the course start date. To avoid academic penalty you must withdraw 10 days prior to the course end date. You can withdraw online here.

Q: How do I receive my final grade?

A: Approximately four to six weeks after the end of your course, you can log in to MyMohawk to view your grades. Choose Academics from the left-side menu. You will see a link to Final grades in the My Grades box.  If you are waiting for grades outside of this timeframe, please contact your CE program area.

Q: How can I apply for an Exemption?

A: Students who have taken courses similar to those in the Program of Studies at Mohawk College or another academic institution may apply for an exemption to receive credit for the course(s). Exemptions are processed online through MyMohawk. Choose Academics from the left-side menu. You will see a link to Apply for a course exemption in the Course Tools box. Note that exemptions are granted by the individual academic area. View the Course Exemptions page to read more about the exemption process.

Q: Can I get credit for Prior Learning/Experience?

A: Mohawk College recognizes that college-level learning can take place in a variety of settings both inside and outside the traditional classroom. Prior Learning Assessment & Recognition (PLAR) focuses on the evaluation of prior learning rather than formal educational courses used in the academic transfer of credits or course exemptions. PLAR evaluates knowledge and skill on an individual basis. Credit is granted when learning level and content match the objectives of a specific course. A valid student number is required. Visit the Prior Learning Assessment & Recognition website for more information.