Whether you need a boost to pursue a postsecondary education or are looking to upgrade skills for employment possibilities, Mohawk's FREE Academic Upgrading program offers an exciting and flexible opportunity to help you achieve these goals.
This Employment Ontario service is funded in part by the Government of Canada and the Government of Ontario and through the Canada-Ontario Job Fund Agreement.
Tuition-free programs that provide participants with the opportunity to upgrade their academic skills to reach their personal goals of employment, further education or training.
Discover Academic Upgrading
Why Upgrade at Mohawk?
Mohawk College’s Academic Upgrading program offers many benefits and opportunities including:
A Plan Designed Just for You
- After an academic assessment and your one-on-one interview, your upgrading plan will be developed based on your goals and focused on exactly what you need to reach them.
- Our program is offered in the modern, well-equipped Fennell Campus of Mohawk College. You can immerse yourself in a thriving postsecondary environment.
- Learn from qualified professors in a supportive setting.
- Enjoy the added benefits of use of the Mohawk College library, cafeteria, and computers.
- You’ll be surrounded by a community of other motivated, friendly students.
Other College Benefits
- You are invited to audit a class in the program of your choice for a taste of what college learning is like.
- At no cost, you can take a postsecondary general elective class while you’re upgrading (Past courses have included: SS275 Impact of Technology and AS106 Pop Culture).
- Academic Upgrading is a FREE program! Financial support for daycare and/or transportation is also available for qualified learners. Please inquire at upgrading [at] mohawkcollege.ca
- Apply for, and earn points on, Mohawk’s Future Ready Loyalty Card to help you pay for tuition if you should choose to enroll in a full-time Mohawk College program.
- Attend when you’re ready! Start dates are flexible and are available throughout the September to June period.
- Attend part-time, full-time or in the evenings.
Transition to Your College and Employment Goals
- Attend lessons and workshops designed to support your academic and employment success.
- Take advantage of academic resources such as access to information on How to Apply to College, Applying for Financial Aid & OSAP, and more.
- Connect with Community Employment Services at Mohawk and register for workshops that can help you in your search for employment.
Want to Learn More?
- Please contact us or visit for more information.
- upgrading [at] mohawkcollege.ca
- Drop in to Fennell Campus, room J006
- (Note: For Academic and Career Entrance (ACE) online, please view the Academic and Career Entrance website) 905-575-2123
Whether you need a boost to pursue a postsecondary education or are looking to upgrade skills for employment possibilities, Mohawk’s FREE Academic Upgrading program offers an exciting and flexible opportunity to help you achieve these goals. We work with each student entering the program to create an individualized learning plan to meet student needs and study goals. With courses available in English, Math and GED preparation we can help you write your own future.
- Grade 12 Equivalency in Math & English Academic and Career Entrance (ACE) in a face-to-face environment. (Note: For Academic and Career Entrance (ACE) online, please view the Academic and Career Entrance website).
- GED preparation
- Individual study and group instruction
- Individualized programs
- Learn and thrive in an exciting college environment
- Flexible scheduling
- Day and evening classes available
Our Academic Upgrading program is offered for students who:
- Want to get grade 12 equivalency or GED for:
- College admissions
- Apprenticeship programs
- Employment opportunities
- Have a grade 12 diploma but need to upgrade in a specific course for college (e.g. Grade 12 Math) or refresh their skills
With a focus on raising Math and English skills to the college-entry level and employment standards, an individualized Learning Plan is created for each student entering the program. Academic Upgrading can help students qualify for admission to many Mohawk College programs and can also assist in employment readiness.
- English - Grade 12 Equivalency
- Math - Grade 12 Equivalency:
- Business Math
- Technical Math
- Apprenticeship Math
- Fundamental Computer Skills (for students taking one of the above subjects only)
GED PreparationAcademic Upgrading can help prepare you to successfully write the GED Test.
- The GED – or Ontario High School Equivalency Certificate – is for adults who did not finish high school. The GED is recognized by many employers and training/education programs throughout Canada and the U.S.
More information on the GED is available on the Independent Learning Centre’s (opens new window) website.
Admission Requirement & Eligibility
We invite all students who meet eligibility requirements to apply for Mohawk’s Academic Upgrading Program.
The Academic Upgrading program at Mohawk College is a FREE service for eligible students.Eligibility Requirements Include:
- Applicants must have reached mature student status (19 years or older)
- Academic Upgrading is available to Canadian citizens or permanent residents of Ontario
- Applicants must go through an Academic Upgrading assessment process (details follow)
- Minimum Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) of level 7 in all areas.
For students looking for ESL training, Mohawk College offers an excellent range of ESL programs through our Language Studies Program.The Assessment Process
- Call Academic Upgrading to review your eligibility at 905-575-2029
- If you are eligible, you will be referred to the Mohawk Testing Centre to determine your present levels in reading, writing and mathematics.
- Then, a personalized interview will take place. Finally, based on your study goals, we’ll develop a customized learning plan to map out your road to success.
Call 905-575-2029 to start the program this summer!
Tuesdays at 11:30 am:
- July 3rd
- July 17th
- July 31st
- August 7th
- August 14th
Academic Upgrading at Mission Services
Academic Upgrading is a tuition-free program for English-speaking adults who need to upgrade their reading and/or writing skills. The program prepares students for post-secondary study, further skills training, apprenticeship, or employment. Academic Upgrading is also for those who may need to upgrade existing secondary school credits (English), or complete a missing course. An individualized Learning Plan is created for each student entering the program, after completing a baseline assessment. This program will be offered for the first time at Mission Services, 196 Wentworth St. N. in spring 2018.
Call 905-575-2029 today to book an assessment. The first one will be held Apr. 10th at 10am.
- Baseline assessment
- Individualized learning plans
- Flexible start dates
- Grade 12 equivalency in English (ACE)
- April - June 2018 (with possibility of extension)
- 196 Wentworth St. N.
- Tues./Thurs. 10am-2pm
Current or Previous Students
Welcome to the Academic Upgrading student satisfaction survey.
If you'd like to provide feedback on the Academic Upgrading at Mohawk College please complete our feedback survey. Please note all responses are anonymous to ensure identity protection.
To apply to Academic Upgrading at Mohawk College please contact us by email, phone, or visit in person.
In-Class program 905-575-2029 Online program 905-575-2123
Fennell Campus, room J006
upgrading [at] mohawkcollege.ca (subject: Online%20Web%20Inquiry%20-%20Academic%20Upgrading)
Online (ACE) Academic and Career Entrance
For information on the Academic and Career Entrance (ACE) Online Program at Mohawk College please contact us by phone, or visit in person.
Fennell Campus, Room i124
Academic and Career Entrance (ACE) courses are non-post secondary courses designed to prepare you to succeed in post secondary and apprenticeship training. They are accepted as OSSD equivalent by Colleges and Apprenticeship for purposes of admission.