Whether you need a boost to pursue a post-secondary education or are looking to upgrade skills for employment possibilities, Mohawk's FREE Academic Upgrading program offers an exciting and flexible opportunity to help you achieve these goals.
Tuition-free programs that provide participants with the opportunity to upgrade their academic skills to reach their personal goals of employment, further education or training.
What's Academic Upgrading?
Whether you need a boost to pursue a post-secondary education or are looking to upgrade skills for employment possibilities, Mohawk’s FREE Academic Upgrading program offers an exciting and flexible opportunity to help you achieve these goals. We work with each student to create an individualized learning plan to meet student needs and study goals. We offer courses in English, Science, Math and also help with GED preparation to help prepare for the future.
- Grade 12 Equivalency in English, Science & Math in a face-to-face environment.
- GED preparation
- Individual study and group instruction
- Individualized programs
- Learn and thrive in an exciting college environment
- Flexible scheduling
- Day and evening classes available
Academic Upgrading is for students who:
- Want to get grade 12 equivalency or GED for:
- College admissions
- Apprenticeship programs
- Employment opportunities
- Have a grade 12 diploma but need to upgrade in a specific course for college (e.g. Grade 12 Math)
- Wish to refresh their skills and confidence before enrollment
Why Upgrade at Mohawk?
Mohawk College’s Academic Upgrading program offers many benefits and opportunities including:
A Plan Designed Just for You
- After an academic skills review and your one-on-one interview, your upgrading plan will be developed based on your goals and focused on exactly what you need to reach them.
- Our program is offered in a thriving, well-equipped college enviornment at the Fennell campus or within the community at Mission Services (96 Wentworth St. N).
- Learn from qualified professors in a supportive setting.
- Enjoy the added benefits of use of the Mohawk College library, cafeteria, and computers.
- You’ll be surrounded by a community of other motivated, friendly students.
Other College Benefits
- You are invited to visit a class in the program of interest for a taste of what college learning is like.
- At no cost, you can take a postsecondary general elective class while you’re upgrading (Past courses have included: SS275 -Impact of Technology and AS106 - Pop Culture).
- Academic Upgrading is a FREE program! Financial support for daycare and/or transportation is also available for qualified learners. Please inquire at upgrading [at] mohawkcollege.ca ()
- Apply for, and earn points on, Mohawk’s Future Ready Loyalty Card to help you pay for tuition if you should choose to enroll in a full-time Mohawk College program.
- Attend when you’re ready! Start dates are flexible and are available throughout the September to June period.
- Attend part-time, full-time or in the evenings.
Transition to Your College and Employment Goals
- Attend lessons and workshops designed to support your academic and employment success.
- Take advantage of academic resources such as access to information on How to Apply to College, Applying for Financial Aid & OSAP, and more.
- Connect with Community Employment Services at Mohawk and register for workshops that can help you in your search for employment.
Want to Learn More?
- Please contact us or visit for more information.
- upgrading [at] mohawkcollege.ca ()
- Drop in to Fennell Campus, room J137e
With a focus on raising Math, Science and English skills to the college-entry level and employment standards, an individualized learning plan is created for each student entering the program. Academic Upgrading can help students qualify for admission to many Mohawk College programs and can also assist in employment readiness.
- English - Grade 12 Equivalency:
- Math - Grade 12 Equivalency:
- Business Math
- Technical Math
- Apprenticeship Math
- Science - Grade 12 Equivalency:
GED PreparationAcademic Upgrading can help prepare you to successfully write the GED Test.
- The GED – or Ontario High School Equivalency Certificate – is for adults who did not finish high school. The GED is recognized by many employers and training/education programs throughout Canada and the U.S.
More information on the GED is available on the Independent Learning Centre’s (opens new window) website.Computers
- Fundamental Computer Skills (for students taking one of the above subjects only)
Admission Requirement & Eligibility
We invite all students who meet eligibility requirements to apply for Mohawk’s Academic Upgrading Program.Eligibility Requirements Include:
- Applicants must have reached mature student status (19 years or older)
- Academic Upgrading is available to Canadian citizen, permanent residents of Ontario, or Protected Persons in Canada (with notice of decision)
- Applicants must go through an Academic Upgrading skills review process (details follow)
- Minimum Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) of level 7 in all areas.
NOTE: English as a Second Language (ESL)
For students looking for ESL training, Mohawk College offers an excellent range of ESL programs through our Language Studies Program.The Skills Review Process
- Call Academic Upgrading to review your eligibility at 905-575-2029
- If you are eligible, you will be referred to a skills reviewer to determine your present levels in reading, writing and mathematics.
- Then, a personalized interview will take place. Finally, based on your study goals, we’ll develop a customized learning plan to map out your road to success.
Academic Upgrading at Mission Services
Academic Upgrading helps Hamilton area adults to upgrade their English and Math skills to a Grade 12 college equivalency level for future post-secondary education, employment and/or personal development. We now also offer GED Preparation. We currently only offer Science courses at the Fennell campus. We ensure each students' success by designing an individualized learning plan for each entering the program. First, call us to book a skills review at either Mission Services, 196 Wentworth St. N, or at the Fennell campus.
Call us at 905-575-2029!
- Baseline assessment
- Individualized learning plans
- GED preparation
- Math and English upgrading
- Flexible start dates
- Grade 12 equivalency in English (ACE)
- Financial support for day-care and travel expenses for eligible learners
- Tues./Thurs. 10am-2pm
- 196 Wentworth St. N.
- Join anytime!
Current or Previous Students
Are you a previous student? Please complete our feedback survey. Please note all responses are anonymous to ensure identity protection.
To apply to Academic Upgrading at Mohawk College please contact us by email, phone, or visit in person.
In-Class program 905-575-2029 Online program 905-575-2123
Academic and Career Entrance (ACE) courses are non-post secondary courses designed to prepare you to succeed in post secondary and apprenticeship training. They are accepted as OSSD equivalent by Colleges and Apprenticeship for purposes of admission.
This Employment Ontario service is funded in part by the Government of Canada and the Government of Ontario and through the Canada-Ontario Job Fund Agreement.