Mohawk College’s free Academic Upgrading Deaf Empowerment Program (AU DEP) offers Deaf(ening/end) adults the opportunity to upgrade their skills in math, reading and writing as well as basic computer and employability skills.
What is the Deaf Empowerment Program (DEP) at Mohawk?
This program is taught in American Sign Language (ASL) for adults who are Deaf, Deafened or Hard-of-Hearing and are looking to prepare for the General Education Diploma (GED) test, gain requirements to apply for college study, or improve skills needed for the workforce.
What are the benefits of this program?
Built for Deaf(ening/end) people by Deaf(ening/end) people. Classes are taught in American Sign Language by qualified professors who are dedicated to student success.
- Personal learning plans. No student is the same as another student. That’s why we provide each student with a personal consultation to develop a learning plan that meets their goals. Interpreters are available upon request.
- Lots of options. Students choose to focus on GED* preparation, employment preparation or college preparation and can earn up to a grade 12 equivalency in English and Mathematics (business, technical and apprenticeship levels). These can be used to apply to most college programs in Ontario!
- State-of-the-art technology. All classroom technology is equipped with the deaf person in mind. Students can also loan out various types of technology through the Mohawk Library.
- Located at Mohawk College. We are committed to ensuring our students are future ready. Each student has access to accommodations they need to succeed in learning, the facilities to grow personally and the community to excel socially. Learn more about the Mohawk College Fennell campus.
- Completely FREE + financial supports. This program is funded with provincial and national government support. There is no cost to enroll and all materials are provided. Do you need support with living accommodations **, transportation, and/or child-care? Let us know when you apply!
How to Apply
- Deaf, Deafened, or Hard of Hearing?
- Able to communicate using American Sign Language (ASL)?
- 19 years of age or older?
- A Canadian Citizen or Permanent Resident?
If yes to all of the above, then you can apply now!
You can also contact us via dep [at] mohawkcollege.ca (subject: Application%20to%20DEP) (email )or call us at 905 575 2029 using Canada's FREE Video Relay Service to have an interpreter speak on your behalf.
Current or Previous Student?
If you'd like to provide feedback on the Academic Upgrading at Mohawk College please complete our feedback survey. Please note all responses are anonymous to ensure identity protection.
This Employment Ontario service is funded in part by the Government of Canada and the Government of Ontario and through the Canada-Ontario Job Fund Agreement.