Frequently Asked Questions for Employers

As a small business owner, where can I go to receive financial support to deal with COVID-19?

The Government of Canada has put measures in place to support small businesses that are facing revenue losses and to help prevent lay offs. Please visit the Government of Canada's COVID-19 economic response webpage.

Local initiatives are in place to support businesses in Hamilton and surrounding areas.

For more support, visit:

I am interested in offering an apprenticeship, where can I find information?

Access the Employer Apprenticeship Toolkit (PDF, 1.5MB) or reach out to the Apprenticeship Community Hub at Mohawk College.

I have to lay off some of my employees, what should I tell them?

Our regular services are available. Contact us to arrange an appointment to speak with a Job Developer.

Call 905-575-2177, text 905-870-3631, or email ces [at] (ces[at]mohawkcollege[dot]ca).

Applying for Employment Insurance benefits.

What services can we offer to local businesses?

Our regular services are available. Contact us to arrange an appointment to speak with a Job Developer to:

  • Assist employers struggling with staff shortages - due to workforce depletion because of childcare/school closures and sick leave.
  • Provide guidance to those workers seeking to file online EI claims.
  • Assist with providing consultation to employee groups being temporarily laid off – seeking basic need supports, mental health services/referrals, etc.
  • Provide financial support to employers not currently experiencing lay-offs are needing to increase workforce capacity as an essential service business

call 905-575-2177, text 905-870-3631, or email ces [at] (ces[at]mohawkcollege[dot]ca).