Important information: Please note that as a result of the current COVID-19 pandemic, the programs listed below are delivered in an online format.
Get ready for college!
LINC College Preparation program will help you to develop the skills you need to succeed in college. The fast-paced learning environment prepares you for the demands of college. The program is offered for free to eligible newcomers.
Start September 9, 2021.
Develop skills for college:
- Critical reading and thinking
- Academic research skills and academic writing skills
- Academic presentation skills
- Attending college lectures
- Group work skills
- Study, note-taking and time management skills
- Test/exam-taking skills
- Using online learning management system
- LINC College Preparation meets the English requirement for post-secondary admission at Mohawk College
- Part-time option available:
- Listening/Speaking module.
- Reading/Writing module.
- Duration: 14-week semester
- Opportunity to participate in the Newcomer Mentorship Program.
- Permanent resident of Canada or protected person (with Notice of Decision)
- With valid proof of your Canadian Language Benchmark assessment at level 6.
- Don't have proof of CLB assessment? Contact YMCA Immigrant Services to book an appointment to take the assessment. YMCA's phone number is (905) 662-9400 or (905) 526-8452
- The assessment has no cost for permanent residents and protected persons.
During this time of COVID-19 all our programs and courses are delivered in an online format. This means that you will be managing technology. You will need to have access to:
- A high-speed internet connection.
- A computer or laptop with a camera, microphone, and sound.
- A comfortable place where you can interact with your classmates and teachers. This will help you to learn better and faster!
Join an online info session to learn more about our free programs and services!
Students share their experience in the LINC College Preparation program
I enjoyed the listening and speaking classes with Joanne and my classmates which strengthened my confidence.
It gave me new skills such as debate, presentation skills, and open discussion techniques.
I have gotten many insights in this course on how to effectively manage my studies and time in college. In addition, it was a good opportunity to learn reference style and how to cite it in my essay, and a number of grammar skills as well.
I am grateful to my excellent professor Janice, who encourages students to achieve their goals and complete this course. Also, I will miss my classmates who went through together this challenging course.
To begin my life in Canada, I am happy that I have chosen the LINC courses at Mohawk College. Undoubtedly, it's one of the best colleges I have seen. Also, I appreciate my professors, Ms. Janice and Ms. Joanne. They helped me to progress in my English language and gain more confidence.
Do you have questions about pathways to academic and career planning?
By email: learnenglish [at] mohawkcollege.ca (subject: Question%20about%20LINC%20College%20Preparation%20program)
By phone: 905-575-2421
Get prepared for the job search in Canada