What is P-TECH?
Pathways in Technology Early College High School (P-TECH) is a partnership between Mohawk College, select high schools in the Greater Hamilton area and industry partners, enabling the student to earn both an Ontario Secondary School Diploma and a College Diploma at their own pace, gaining valuable mentorship and industry experience along the way.
How does P-TECH work?
Over a five year period*, students earn their Ontario Secondary School Diploma and a two-year Ontario College Diploma in Software Engineering. They will be ready to begin a career (or continue in further post-secondary studies) by the time they graduate.
While in the P-TECH program students will:
- take regular high school courses required to earn their Ontario Secondary School Diploma
- take paired credit and dual credit courses with Mohawk College instructors and their high school teachers required to earn a college diploma
- participate in real work experiences with industry partners, exploring various careers through internship, coaching and mentoring
...all at no cost to the student!
*The length of enrollment is tailored to the learning needs and educational goals of each student
Who is Eligible for P-TECH?
Mohawk's Early College Graduation Program is intended for interested and motivated students coming into Grade 9. P-TECH students will reflect the dynamic and diverse neighbourhoods that make up Greater Hamilton highschool populations. Student enrollment in P-TECH requires completion of student information form and teacher/principal referral.
P-TECH students should be:
- interested in computers, science and math
- eager to learn the skills needed to succeed in technology industries
- committed to a strong attendance record (as evidenced in elementary school)
- curious, dedicated hands-on learners ready to take on the challenges of school, college, work and life
What IT career pathways await P-TECH students?
P-TECH students will be prepared to begin a career in the Computer Engineering pathway, in a range of exciting, competitive specialty areas in the IT industry. Through this Early College Graduation Program, students will have the opportunity to develop skills in focus areas such as:
- Internet of Things (IoT) Programming
- Windows App Development
- Cyber Security
- Full Stack Web Development
- Network System Administration
- Object-oriented Programming
- and more!
Manager, Early College Initiatives
bryan.ledgerwood [at] mohawkcollege.ca (Email Bryan)
Research and Project Coordinator
brittney.glass [at] mohawkcollege.ca (Email Brittney)
Program Support and Outreach Officer
tanya.kowalewicz [at] mohawkcollege.ca (Email Tanya)