Aviation Technician - Avionics Maintenance - 299
The Winter 2022 Semester starts on January 24, 2022
- Begin the Mohawk College Aviation Campus Tour
- High graduation and employment rates.
- State-of-the-art lab equipment and facilities.
- Excellent reputation with Industry and Transport Canada.
What you'll learn
- Combine theory and practice using state-of-the-art facilities at Mohawk’s new Centre for Aviation Technology at the Hamilton International Airport, opened February 2021.
Virtual tour of facility
- Learn how to prepare for a career in aviation, explore our aviation programs and hear from our students and employers. Watch our newest videos.
- You will inspect a variety of aircraft including small planes, heavy jets and helicopters.
- Learn to troubleshoot and repair the latest avionics equipment including navigation and communication systems.
- Learn using a Boeing 737NG virtual trainer and then do work on the real Boeing aircraft.
- Become familiar with the rules and regulation that guide the aviation industry.
- This Transport Canada approved program provides theory and hands-on training to prepare students for certification by Transport Canada, as an Aircraft Maintenance Engineer AME-E. 18 months credit towards the 48 months practical work experience required for certification.
View the Exceptions Calendar for start dates and semester break information.
In the News:
Hamilton students restore a piece of aviation history
- Ornge donates helicopter to Mohawk
Ontario's air ambulance service provider, Ornge donated this decommissioned Sikorsky S76-A helicopter to Mohawk College for use in the school's Aviation program streams.
- Aviation Technician grad comes full circle to launch career
- Meet Mohawk grads who work for KF Aerospace
- Mohawk and KF Aerospace, Building Aviation Excellence
Learn more at:
We’re here for you to support applications and admissions by providing online and virtual service.
Applied and have questions?
The admissions team is available to help, you can contact them via Admissions or by phone at 1-844-767-6871.
Haven’t applied and need help?
Contact us or phone 905-575-2460.
Take a virtual campus tour!
Explore Mohawk College from the comfort of home! Our virtual campus tours provide a guided visit of our buildings, labs, services, classrooms and athletic and recreation centre.
- OSSD or equivalent (Mohawk Academic Upgrading, GED) including:
- Grade 12 English, C or U or equivalent
- Grade 12 Mathematics, MAP4C ≥ 60%; or MCT4C; or any U or equivalent
- See below for accepted equivalents for Grade 12 English:
Applicants whose first language is not English will be required to demonstrate proficiency in English. Options are available for mature applicants.
Required Student Attendance:
- Student attendance will be documented by the applicable instructor in 1/4 hour increments.
- Students missing more than 5% of any major subject area will not qualify for a certificate with a Transport Canada (TC) approval number.
Access to Student Information
Consent to release student information
Students enrolled in an aviation program will be requested to sign a release form at program entry to allow auditing agencies (CAMC or Transport Canada) to access their academic records during the performance of an audit.
Students who do not consent to the release of information will have their student information filed separately. Should auditors require access to this information the college will ensure all information which may permit identification of the student is blacked out.
Tuition and Fees
2021 - 2022 Domestic Tuition and Fees
|Description||Semester 1||Semester 2|
Compulsory Ancillary Fees
Compulsory Program Fees
|Total Domestic Charges Per Semester||$3,067.39||$2,913.42|
|Total 1st Year Fees||$5,980.81|
- Awards: Scholarships and Bursaries
- OSAP Eligible. Learn about Ontario Student Assistance Program (OSAP).
- Full Cost Breakdown
2021 - 2022 International Tuition and Fees
|Description||Semester 1||Semester 2|
Total Tuition & Ancillary Fees
Program Compulsory Fees
|International Tax Recovery||$450.00||$375.00|
|Total International Charges Per Semester||$10,985.00||$10,875.00|
|Total 1st Year Fees||$21,860.00|
- International Scholarships and Bursaries
- OSAP not eligible for International Students
- Full Cost Breakdown
If you pay by wire transfer, please note your bank might charge you a fee to transfer money. Make sure your transfer includes the Mohawk payment and the wire transfer fee. This applies to each wire transfer payment you make.
Course Overview & Descriptions
Click on the course title for a course description.
- Hands on experience installing, modifying, and troubleshooting aircraft electrical systems using modern aircraft, tools, and test equipment using interactive simulations.
- Through practical hands-on laboratory experience using state-of-the-art equipment.
- Spend over 770 hours in labs working on aircrafts and completing projects.
Program Learning Outcomes, often referred to as ‘Program Standards', set out the essential learning that a student must achieve before being deemed ready to graduate.
In many cases these program learning outcomes were developed by the Ministry of Colleges and Universities (MCU) in consultation with employers and educators who are experts in the program field. To ensure the outcomes remain current and in line with industry needs, we invite our employers, graduates working in the field and current students to re-examine and update them during regular, ongoing program review focus groups.
Your future career options
- Licensed Aircraft Maintenance Engineer – Avionics
- Aircraft Maintenance Avionics
- Aviation Manufacturing
- Aircraft Inspectors
Where you could work includes:
- Air Transport and Cargo Jets
- Civil Aviation
- Avionics Manufacturers
- Aircraft Manufacturers
- Maintenance Repair and Overhaul Organizations
- Canadian Forces
- Flight Training Schools and other Aircraft Operators
Opportunities for grads
Transport Canada Accredited program
AME Association of Canada
Transport Canada 566 Standards
Students meeting the minimum CARS. 566 ATO standards listed below will receive a certificate which recognizes Transport Canada approval of the program and exemption from writing Transport Canada Technical exams (with the exception of the Aviation Regulations exam), plus 12 months of equivalent work experience credit towards the 36 months practical work experience required for certification:
- Minimum grade of 70% in each course
- Successful completion of all practical projects required
- 95% attendance hours required within the two year program
Graduates may apply for advanced entry into second year of the Aviation Technician – Aircraft Maintenance Program
Pathways to Mohawk
If you've successfully taken a course at another post-secondary institution, you may be able to earn course exemptions toward your credential here at Mohawk.
Pathways within Mohawk
If you have successfully completed one of the following programs at Mohawk, you may be eligible to receive transfer credit in this program. *
We offer a diverse range of programs to further your studies within Mohawk following completion of this program. *
- Aviation Technician - Aircraft Maintenance (Enter Semester 3)
- Aviation Technician - Aircraft Structures (Enter Semester 3)
Pathways beyond Mohawk
Earn a degree:
- Griffith University – Bachelor of Aviation Management
See ontransfer.ca for additional opportunities at other colleges or universities in Ontario.
Search the Mohawk Transfer Database for opportunities outside of Ontario.
Information for New Students
Class Start Date and Parking:
Orientation for new students will be held on Monday, August 17, with classes starting on Tuesday, August 18. Returning students start classes on Monday, August 19. It is mandatory to attend as you will receive your timetable.
Purchase your parking pass or car pool pass from the Parking Office located at the Fennell Campus, Room i130.
Required Student Attendance
Student attendance in the Aviation Technician - Aircraft Maintenance Diploma program will be documented by the applicable instructor in 1/4 hour increments. Student summary attendance records will be maintained for not less than five (5) years.
Students missing more than 5% of any major subject area will not qualify for a certificate with a TC approval number.
Students may be required to travel between Mohawk College's Fennell Campus and the Centre for Aviation Technology at the Hamilton International Airport.
Domestic Canadian Students
Contact Student Recruitment
Haven’t applied yet and have questions?
Contact our Student Recruitment team for information on programs, how to apply, and more.
Contact our Admissions advisors for help with your application.
Contact International Student Recruitment
Contact our International Student Recruitment team for information on programs, how to apply, and student life.
Toll free phone numbers:
For general questions: 1-888-Mohawk9 (1-888-664-2959)
North China: 10-800-714-2521
South China: 10-800-140-2541