Aviation Technician - Aircraft Structures - 289
Begin the Mohawk College Aviation Campus Tour
- High graduation and employment rates
- State-of-the-art lab equipment and facilities
- Excellent reputation with Industry and Transport Canada
- All instructors have many years of experience
- A large variety of specialized training related to the care of aircraft
What you'll learn
- Combine theory and practice using state-of-the-art facilities at Mohawk’s new Centre for Aviation Technology at the Hamilton International Airport, opened February 2021.
Virtual tour of facility
- Learn how to prepare for a career in aviation, explore our aviation programs and hear from our students and employers. Watch our newest videos.
- You will inspect a variety of aircraft including small planes, heavy jets and helicopters.
- The Program includes aluminum fabrication and repair, carbon fiber and fiber glass lay ups and repair, Non-Destructive Evaluation (liquid penetrant and eddy current), and refinishing and painting.
- This Transport Canada approved program provides theory and hands-on training to prepare students for certification by Transport Canada, as an Aircraft Maintenance Engineer - Structures AME-S. 12 months credit towards the 36 months practical work experience required for certification.
View the Exceptions Calendar for start dates and semester break information.
2 academic years (period of 34 weeks)
In the News:
Hamilton students restore a piece of aviation history
- Ornge donates helicopter to Mohawk
Ontario's air ambulance service provider, Ornge donated this decommissioned Sikorsky S76-A helicopter to Mohawk College for use in the school's Aviation program streams.
- Aviation Technician grad comes full circle to launch career
- Meet Mohawk grads who work for KF Aerospace
- Mohawk and KF Aerospace, Building Aviation Excellence
Learn more at:
We’re here for you to support applications and admissions by providing online and virtual service.
Applied and have questions?
The admissions team is available to help, you can contact them via Admissions or by phone at 1-844-767-6871.
Haven’t applied and need help?
Contact us or phone 905-575-2460.
Take a virtual campus tour
Explore Mohawk College from the comfort of home! Our virtual campus tours provide a guided visit of our buildings, labs, services, classrooms and athletic and recreation centre.
Learn about program delivery terms.
Domestic and International student admission requirements
- OSSD or equivalent (Mohawk Academic Upgrading, GED) including:
- Grade 12 English, C or U or equivalent
- Grade 12 Mathematics, MAP4C ≥ 60%; or MCT4C; or any U or equivalent
- See below for accepted equivalents for Grade 12 English:
- Successful completion of the GAS-English for Academic Purposes (478 or 278) program
- TOEFL minimum score of 560 (83 Internet based)
- or IELTS Academic minimum score of 6.5 overall with no band less than 6.0
- More information about acceptable certificates, can be found on the International Admission Requirements
Tuition and Fees
2023 - 2024 Domestic Tuition and Fees
|Description||Semester 1||Semester 2|
Compulsory Ancillary Fees
Compulsory Program Fees
|Total Domestic Charges Per Semester||$2,814.99||$2,708.85|
|Total 1st Year Fees||$5,523.84|
- Full Cost Breakdown
- Explore payment options
- Book costs for your program can be found through the Campus Store
2023 - 2024 International Tuition and Fees
|Description||Semester 1||Semester 2|
Total Tuition & Ancillary Fees
Program Compulsory Fees
|International Tax Recovery||$450.00||$375.00|
|Total International Charges Per Semester||$11,180.00||$11,105.00|
|Total 1st Year Fees||$22,285.00|
If you pay by wire transfer, please note your bank might charge you a fee to transfer money. Make sure your transfer includes the Mohawk payment and the wire transfer fee. This applies to each wire transfer payment you make.
- View the Additional Information Tab for any additional costs
- Better Jobs Ontario (formerly Second Career)
When it comes to paying for your education, investing in your future can be more affordable than you think. A Mohawk education is one of the most cost-effective means of acquiring the skills and knowledge you need to have a prosperous and rewarding career.
As you start on your chosen career path, it's important to have a realistic set of expectations regarding the expenses associated with attending college. In addition to your tuition fees, you will also need to budget for books, supplies, housing, and other related living expenses. You may be able to supplement your income and savings with scholarships, bursaries, or loans. It pays to do some research into what types of financial assistance you may qualify for.
Available Financial Assistance Resources:
- OSAP Eligible. Learn about Ontario Student Assistance Program - OSAP (domestic students only)
- Working on Campus
- Additional Sources of Funding
- Financial Assistance Home Page
Apply for Awards:
By submitting a Scholarships and Bursaries Application every semester, students have access to over $3 million in Mohawk College scholarships, bursaries and Ministry-partnered funding to help meet their financial needs.
Financial Literacy and Money Coaching:
Whether saving for school, sticking to a budget, or planning for a major purchase, financial literacy affects us all. That's why Mo' Money is committed to helping our students improve their money skills and become more confident with their money.
Course Overview & Descriptions
Click on the course title for a course description.
Program Learning Outcomes, often referred to as ‘Program Standards', set out the essential learning that a student must achieve before being deemed ready to graduate.
In many cases these program learning outcomes were developed by the Ministry of Colleges and Universities (MCU) in consultation with employers and educators who are experts in the program field. To ensure the outcomes remain current and in line with industry needs, we invite our employers, graduates working in the field and current students to re-examine and update them during regular, ongoing program review focus groups.
Your future career options
- Licensed Aircraft Maintenance Engineer - Structures
- Aircraft Mechanics
- Aircraft Inspectors
Where you could work includes:
- Air Transport and Cargo Jets
- Civil Aviation
- Aircraft Manufacturers
- Engine Manufacturers
- Landing Gear and other Components
- Maintenance Repair and Overhaul Organizations
- Canadian Forces
- Flight Training Schools and other Aircraft Operators
Opportunities for grads
Transport Canada Accredited program
AME Association of Canada
Transport Canada Standard 566.10
Students meeting the minimum CARS. 566 ATO standards listed below will receive a certificate which recognizes Transport Canada approval of the program and exemption from writing Transport Canada Technical exams (with the exception of the Aviation Regulations exam), plus 12 months of equivalent work experience credit towards the 36 months practical work experience required for certification:
- Minimum grade of 70% in each course
- Successful completion of all practical projects required
- 95% attendance hours required within the two year program
Graduates may apply for advanced entry into second year of the Aviation Technician – Aircraft Maintenance Program
Pathways to Mohawk
If you've successfully taken a course at another post-secondary institution, you may be able to earn course exemptions toward your credential here at Mohawk.
Pathways within Mohawk
If you have successfully completed one of the following programs at Mohawk, you may be eligible to receive transfer credit in this program. *
We offer a diverse range of programs to further your studies within Mohawk following completion of this program. *
Pathways beyond Mohawk
Earn a degree:
Davenport University - Bachelor of Business Administration, General Business
Griffith University - Bachelor of Aviation Management, Professional Entry Pathway
See ontransfer.ca for additional opportunities at other colleges or universities in Ontario.
Search the Mohawk Transfer Database for opportunities outside of Ontario.
Information for New Students
Required Student Attendance
Student attendance in the Aviation Technician - Aircraft Structures Diploma program will be documented by the applicable instructor in 1/4 hour increments. Student summary attendance records will be maintained for not less than five (5) years.
Students missing more than 5% of any major subject area will not qualify for a certificate with a TC approval number.
Students may be required to travel between Mohawk College's Fennell Campus and the Centre for Aviation Technology at the Hamilton International Airport.
A minimum grade of 70% in each course to meet the ATO standards for accreditation. Must successfully complete all practical projects and maintain 95% attendance hours to achieve accreditation.
Domestic Canadian Students
Contact Student Recruitment
Haven’t applied yet and have questions?
Contact our Student Recruitment team for information on programs, how to apply, and more.
Contact our Admissions advisors for help with your application.
Contact International Student Recruitment
Contact our International Student Recruitment team for information on programs, how to apply, and student life.
Toll free phone numbers:
For general questions: 1-888-Mohawk9 (1-888-664-2959)
North China: 10-800-714-2521
South China: 10-800-140-2541