Advanced Security Management - 174
Students in the Advanced Security Management program will develop an advanced level of skill in the new world of sophisticated and enhanced security.
A new, fully functional Emergency Operations Centre (EOC) provides a real life emergency operations training environment.
Mohawk College employs simulated judgemental training systems both tactical and virtual in their scenario-based learning.
- Examine computer forensics, risk management, executive protection, threat assessments, and intelligence gathering and analysis
- Work within a fully functional Emergency Operations Centre
- Develop professional business networks
- Employ advanced simulation methodology as utilized by industry experts
- Acquire certifications in Basic Emergency Management and IMS 100 and 200
- Work towards designation as a Certified Fraud Examiner and Business Continuity Professional
- Experience practical exercises in advanced surveillance, close protection, and intelligence gathering, event management
- Research the extensive, professional career opportunities available in a rapidly expanding industry to career and professional development
- Training embedded within the program includes: Canadian Firearms Safety and Canadian Restricted Firearms Safety courses (PAL/RPAL), live-fire indoctrination on industry-specific firearms and Characteristics of Armed Persons seminar provided by members of the Provincial Weapons Enforcement Unit
Minimum requirements for admission to the Advanced Security Management Graduate Certificate program
- Minimum 2 year college diploma in Police Foundations, Community and Justice Services or Protection, Security and Investigation, Web Informatics or Security related field OR University Criminology degree OR Equivalent combination of education and work experience
- Some employment opportunities require that certain physical standards, driving abstracts and health standards, including vision, must be met
- A Police Criminal Record Check (PCRC) (Pardons are possible, seek legal counsel) and additional selection criteria may be used to assess applicants in this program
- Applicants should be advised that employers require a Police Criminal Record Check
- Security or Private Investigation license recommended
Don't have the necessary requirements?
Develop an advanced level of skills and knowledge in the
ever-changing world of sophisticated and enhanced protection services
Security management careers may involve the following:
Industries of Employment:
- Corporate Protection and Intelligence
- Event Security
- Government Security - Customs and Immigration, Natural Resources, Transportation and Fraud
- Protection Insurance Risk Management
- Fraud and Breach of Security Forensics
- Emergency Preparedness and Critical Incident Management
- Municipal, Provincial, Federal and International Protection and Enforcement
- Corporate Security Management
- Loss Prevention/ Private Investigators
- Incident and Risk Management
- Business Continuity
- Electronic Security Specialists
- Protection and Investigation-Borders, Airports
- Investigation and Evidence
- Ministry Field Services
- Operational and Personal Security
Program of Studies
Course Overview & Descriptions
For students stating Fall 2016. Click on the course title for a course description.
Program Learning Outcomes, often referred to as ‘Program Standards', set out the essential learning that a student must achieve before being deemed ready to graduate.
In many cases these program learning outcomes were developed by the Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities (MTCU) in consultation with employers and educators who are experts in the program field. To ensure the outcomes remain current and in line with industry needs, we invite our employers, graduates working in the field and current students to re-examine and update them during regular, ongoing program review focus groups.