Environmental Technician - 453 - 463
Environmental Technician is a two-year Ontario College Diploma program offered at Fennell Campus in Hamilton, Ontario.
Students in the Environmental Technician program will learn the fundamentals of solid waste, water and wastewater treatment.
Students can take advantage of the Cooperative Education option to gain work experience while in school.
- Study the sources, impacts, monitoring and control of water/wastewater pollutants, air pollutants, and solid and industrial waste
- Gain practical lab experience in the sampling, analysis and treatment of environmental pollutants
- Study the fundamentals of environmental regulations, audits and projects, as well as Occupational Health and Safety
Applicants to the Environmental Technician Diploma program must have the minimum requirements for admission
- OSSD or equivalent (Mohawk Academic Upgrading, GED) including:
- Grade 12 English, C or U or equivalent
- Grade 12 Mathematics, MAP4C ≥ 60%; or MCT4C; or any U or equivalent
- Senior Science (Chemistry, Biology or Physics) is recommended
Option are available for mature applicants.
Cooperative Internship Option
Students interested in the cooperative internship do not apply directly. Once enrolled in program 453 students can select the cooperative internship option.
Don't have the necessary requirements?
The Environmental Technician Diploma program prepares students for long-lasting careers
Industries of Employment:
- Municipal/Provincial/Federal Governments
- Environmental Consulting/Management Firms
- Water/Wastewater/Industrial Wastewater Treatment Operations
- Environmental and Chemical Laboratories
- Manufacturing and Energy Production
- Environmental Inspectors and Auditors
- Environmental Laboratory and Field Technicians
- Technical Sales and Service Representatives
- Operators of Water and Wastewater Treatment Facilities
- Graduates and final year students are eligible to be registered as associate members of OACETT upon submission of the Graduate Application form available through OACETT
- Students successfully completing STEN 10014 and semester 3 will have met the requirements of the Ministry of the Environment¹s Entry-Level Certificate for Drinking Water Operators
- For degree transfer/completion opportunities, visit Pathways and Credit Transfer
Program of Studies
Course Overview & Descriptions
Program Learning Outcomes, often referred to as ‘Program Standards', set out the essential learning that a student must achieve before being deemed ready to graduate.
- Review the program learning outcomes for Environmental Technician (453)
- Review the program learning outcomes for Environmental Technician (463) - co-op
In many cases these program learning outcomes were developed by the Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities (MTCU) in consultation with employers and educators who are experts in the program field. To ensure the outcomes remain current and in line with industry needs, we invite our employers, graduates working in the field and current students to re-examine and update them during regular, ongoing program review focus groups.