International Co-op Work Permit

  • If you are an international student and enrolled in a co-op program, you are required to have a co-op work permit before you start your work term. The co-op work permit will allow you to work if it is an integral part of your program and is for credit 
  • As an international student, you are strongly encouraged to apply for a co-op work permit as soon as you receive confirmation of your acceptance into the program as it may take up to 6 months for processing times.
  • You can check estimated processing times for co-op work permits but be aware that these times are not guaranteed and are updated weekly

    Note: When checking processing times, please choose "Temporary Residence (Visiting, Studying, Working)" on the first page and "Work Permit Extension (New Employer)" on the second page 
  • Visit Studying and working in Canada as an International Student to begin your online co-op work permit application.

Steps to applying for Co-op Work Permit

Visit Canada website 

Disclaimer: If there is a discrepancy between information in this webpage and the above government website, please refer to the government website as the most recent and accurate information. The information on this webpage is subject to change according to the regulations set out by the Immigration, Refugee and Citizenship Canada (IRCC). This information is intended to provide a general guide to Co-op work permit applications and does not constitute legal advice. It is the applicant's responsibility to answer questions as they relate to their own individual circumstances.