Paralegal Diploma - 285
PROGRAM STATUS: Open for September 2016, Open for January 2017
SCHOOL: Community & Urban Studies
PROGRAM NUMBER: 285
PROGRAM LENGTH: 2 academic years (periods of 8 months)
CAMPUS: Fennell Campus - Hamilton
CO-OP OPTION: No
ACCREDITATION: Ontario College Diploma
|Campus||September 2016||January 2017|
|285 - Fennell Campus||Waitlisted|| Open
Gain the skills to practice as a licensed Paralegal and enjoy a rewarding and respected career in the legal field
Paralegals act independently to represent clients in provincial offences court for cases involving highway traffic offences, municipal by-law issues, liquor licensing, occupational health and safety, and civil litigation matters presented in small claims court. They also represent clients in the Ontario Court of Justice when charges involve less serious criminal offences, or in tribunal proceedings such as the Workplace Safety and Insurance Appeals Tribunal, the Human Rights Commission, and the Landlord and Tenant Board. In Ontario, paralegals are non-lawyer licenced agents who provide the public with legal services in specified areas of practice for a fee.
Make effective client representations before courts and administrative boards and tribunals in areas of permitted practice in Mohawk’s Mock Court Room.
- Learn to work as a member of a legal team providing support to lawyers involved in complex cases
- Develop skills and knowledge within the parameters established by the Law Society of Upper Canada (LSUC) and the Law Society Act for this licensed profession
- On successful completion of the program, participants will be prepared to write LSUC’s P1 licensing examination
- Develop written and oral advocacy skills, ethical and professional conduct in legal processes, administrative law, alternative dispute resolution, highway traffic act, small claims court, administrative tribunals, torts and contracts, business organization, construction lien rights and bankruptcy, immigration, and residential tenancy under supervision of a lawyer
- Obtain a sound theoretical and practical foundation in all areas of authorized legal practice, legal ethics and small business practice
- Understand the structure, work and organization of the Ontario court system, and of quasi-judicial administrative boards, tribunals and regulatory bodies
- Demonstrate effective administrative and business management skills
- Develop skills in Alternative Dispute Resolution toward certification
360° Classroom Tour
*Fast Track - allows students to complete a two-year Diploma program in 16 months. Students will start in January and be in school for four continuous semesters: Winter, Spring/Summer, Fall and Winter. Students will not be off during the summer.