Journalism Advanced Diploma - 297
PROGRAM STATUS: Open for September 2016, Open for January 2017
SCHOOL: Media & Entertainment
PROGRAM NUMBER: 297
PROGRAM LENGTH: 3 academic years (periods of 8 months)
CAMPUS: Fennell Campus - Hamilton
CO-OP OPTION: No
ACCREDITATION: Ontario College Advanced Diploma
|Campus||September 2016||January 2017|
|297 - Fennell Campus - Hamilton||Open||Open|
Master the evolving field of journalism through experience in print, radio, TV and the ever expanding opportunities on the web
Journalism is a three-year Ontario College Advanced Diploma program offered at Mohawk's Fennell Campus in Hamilton Ontario.
Mohawk's Journalism program has the highest overall student satisfaction rate of any 3 year Journalism program in Ontario.
Mohawk's Journalism program gives you the practical skills and knowledge to succeed as a journalist or communications professional in today's multimedia news environment.
Whether you want to be a print or television reporter, on-air host, or work behind the scenes, you'll receive the hands-on training and experience you need to enter the exciting world of journalism.
You will practice the craft of reporting with state-of-the-art digital equipment, under the guidance of industry professionals.
- Learn from professional journalists and broadcasters
- Discover the principles and practices of professional journalism
- Learn to communicate professionally
- Explore entry-level reporting and newscasting
- Develop your ability to research and evaluate data
- Experience a working newsroom using the latest technology
- Report on real-world stories in the local communityLearn how to use social media tools such as Twitter and Facebook to engage an audience
- Learn how to use social media tools such as Twitter and Facebook to engage an audience
Ignite News is the brand of the Mohawk College Journalism Program. Students produce content on a variety of platforms, including IgniteNews.ca, YouTube, the campus radio station (101.5 The Hawk), Cable 14, and our weekly print newsmagazine.
- Digital Media
- Newspapers, Magazines and Trade Publications
- Television and Radio Stations: Report on Air or Work Behind the Scenes as an Editor, Writer or Producer
- Multimedia Production
- Social Media
- Public Relations
- Graduates are eligible for membership into the Ontario College of Early Childhood Educators
- For degree transfer/completion opportunities visit mohawkcollege.ca/credittransfer.
Mohawk College's journalism graduates can qualify for:
- A one-year honours degree in Journalism from Glamorgan University in Cardiff, Wales.
- A two-year degree in either Journalism or Communications at Griffith University in Australia.
- Advanced credit transfer at Brock University toward several honours degrees, including Popular Culture, Business Communication, or Media and Communication Studies.
- Public Relations Graduate Certificate
The Agency provides student involvement on campaigns for predominantly not-for-profit organizations. Student teams from allied programs, working together under the guidance of Mohawk College faculty, collaborate in a multi-disciplinary framework.
Read more about The Agency