Applied Music - 660
Second and third year students offer high quality, low cost music lessons in voice, drum, guitar, piano and more to the public. Visit Mohawk Music Lessons.
Check out the 2016 Recital Evaluation Sheet (opens PDF, 87kb).
View the Exceptions Calendar for start dates and semester break information.
Students will experience:
- Private Lessons: Receive private instruction on your instrument with some of Canada’s leading musicians
- Ensembles: Play in ensembles coached by the faculty ranging from chamber music and orchestra, to big band, rock and funk, world music and contemporary jazz
- Composition and Arranging: Compose your own arrangements and works and have them performed by student groups under your direction
- TV and Film Composition: Collaborate with Mohawk’s TV and Animation departments to write musical scores for their various productions
- Music Technology: Learn to use the latest music technology with our state-of-the-art facility
- Business of Music: Explore the business side of the music profession, profit from the advice of industry experts and learn about trends and opportunities from in music
- Visiting Artists: Past clinics and workshops with world renowned musicians have included: Tom Scott, Larry Carlton, Kenny Wheeler, Renee Rosnes, Bill Charlap, Valerie Tryon, Wynton Marsalis, Hal Galper, Ian Thomas, Bob Brookmeyer, Alain Caron, Alan Nicholl, etc.
- Use our Cummings Library and Collaboratory for resources
Applied Music - 3 Year Advanced Diploma Program
Meet Jamshed Turel
Minimum requirements for admission to the Applied Music Advanced Diploma program
- OSSD or equivalent (Mohawk Academic Upgrading, GED) including:
- Grade 12 English, C or U or equivalent
- Background in Music
- Audition on an instrument or voice and complete a questionnaire (a fee will apply)
- Applicant acceptance will be based on ability and talent in a principal instrument or voice
Note: this is a Competitive Program
Apply before the application end date. Read more about Competitive Programs.
Applicant Audition Guide
Kindly note that Mohawk College is subject to Ontario’s Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act and therefore, all audition information is considered private and confidential. We are unable to discuss audition information with parents or guardians without the applicant’s permission.
Don't have the necessary requirements?
For transfer opportunities, visit Pathways and Credit Transfer
The Applied Music Advanced Diploma program trains students for a wide variety of career opportunities. Careers in music may involve the following:
Industries of Employment:
- Performance: Soloists, freelance musicians, bands, orchestras, chamber groups musical directors and conductors
- Composition: Music arrangements and compositions for live performances, film, television, multi-media, video games, advertising, corporate events, and websites
- Music Technology: Sound design and effects, software programming, electronic instrument design, audio engineering, audio forensics
- Education: Teachers in private studios, commercial music schools, conservatories, public schools, colleges and universities
- Music Business: Music publishing, marketing/PR, record labels, artist management and booking agencies, arts administration, concert promotion and arts councils
- Music Therapy
Read our Suggested Paths (opens PDF, 126kb) document for more career information.
Program of Studies
Course Overview & Descriptions
Program Learning Outcomes, often referred to as ‘Program Standards', set out the essential learning that a student must achieve before being deemed ready to graduate.
In many cases these program learning outcomes were developed by the Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities (MTCU) in consultation with employers and educators who are experts in the program field. To ensure the outcomes remain current and in line with industry needs, we invite our employers, graduates working in the field and current students to re-examine and update them during regular, ongoing program review focus groups.