Early Childhood Education - 213
Already have a related degree or diploma? We are pleased to offer the Early Childhood Education Intensive Diploma program. To learn more visit Early Childhood Education (Intensive)
Early Childhood Education is a two-year Ontario College Diploma program offered at Fennell Campus in Hamilton, Ontario.
Students in Mohawk's Early Childhood Education program will gain meaningful experiences in early childhood programs and foster the development of the whole child.
Students have the opportunity to observe, practice and evaluate classroom theories through field placements.
Fast Track - allows students to complete a two-year Diploma program (non co-op) in 16 months. Students will start in January and be in school for four continuous semesters: Winter, Spring/Summer, Fall and Winter. Students will not be off during the summer.
- Gain meaningful experiences in early childhood programs and foster the development of the whole child
- Apply collaborative skills to support young children and their families
- Observe, practice and evaluate classroom theories through field placements
Minimum requirements for admission to the Early Childhood Education Diploma program for September 2015 or January 2016
- OSSD or equivalent including:
- Grade 12 English C or U or equivalent (70% guideline)
- Volunteer experience in child care recommended
- Attendance at program orientation is strongly recommended
- Options are available for mature applicants
- Applicants should note that some employment opportunities require that certain physical standards must be met as a condition of employment
- Field placements may occur at locations that are not accessible by public transit. As such, students shall be expected to either have access to a car or the ability to supply their own transportation when attending field placement activity. Mohawk shall not be responsible for providing students with transportation to clinical placements within or outside the Hamilton region
- Registered students who have been convicted of an offence under the criminal code for which they have not been pardoned may be denied the opportunity to enter field placement
- Students may be required to complete various Immunizations and Disease Screening protocols required by some field placement agencies
Students are on Field Placement 3 days per week for 9 weeks in semesters 2, 3 and 4.
Note: this is a Competitive Program
Apply before the application end date. Read more about Competitive Programs.
Don't have the necessary requirements?
The Early Childhood Education Diploma program can lead to exciting career opportunities
Early Childhood Education careers may involve the following:
- Full Day Kindergarten
- Child Care and Early Learning Agencies providing care for infants, toddlers, preschoolers and school-aged children
- Parent-Child Drop-In Programs such as Ontario Early Years Centres or Parent and Family Literacy Centres
- Professional Resource Sites
Note: Students will be required to complete Community Disease Screening protocol before starting field placement.
- Graduates are eligible for membership into the Ontario College of Early Childhood Educators
- For degree transfer/completion opportunities, visit Pathways and Credit Transfer
Program of Studies
Course Overview & Descriptions
Program Learning Outcomes, often referred to as ‘Program Standards', set out the essential learning that a student must achieve before being deemed ready to graduate.
In many cases these program learning outcomes were developed by the Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities (MTCU) in consultation with employers and educators who are experts in the program field. To ensure the outcomes remain current and in line with industry needs, we invite our employers, graduates working in the field and current students to re-examine and update them during regular, ongoing program review focus groups.
For the academic period 2014-2015 there is a new process for the completion and submission of your Non-academic Requirements (NAR). Mohawk College will not be using ParaMed for the student submission(s) of NAR. You will be receiving further information via your Mohawk College email.
Mohawk College is excited about the new and improved process!
Become an Agency
If you would like to become an Agency that takes students on placement from Mohawk College's Human Services programs, please visit the Human Services Placement page.