Autism and Behavioural Science Graduate Certificate - 164
PROGRAM STATUS: Open for January 2015, Open for September 2015
SCHOOL: Community & Urban Studies
PROGRAM NUMBER: 164
PROGRAM LENGTH: 8 months
CAMPUS: Fennell Campus - Hamilton
CO-OP OPTION: No
ACCREDITATION: Ontario College Graduate Certificate
|Campus||January 2015||September 2015|
|164 - Fennell Campus - Hamilton||Open|
|164 - Continuing Education|| Open
View Program Details
View Program Details
Enter a field where you can help individuals with autism improve language and social skills with treatment and careAutism and Behavioural Science is an Ontario College Graduate Certificate program offered at Fennell Campus in Hamilton.
Autism Spectrum Disorder is a condition that can affect the social, communicative and play behaviour in young children. The condition affects approximately one in 250 children in Canada. Without treatment, children with autism may not learn to speak, interact, or function in their community. Applied Behaviour Analysis (ABA) is used to teach children with autism to develop new skills, such as language or social play, through repeated practice, intensive teaching (Intensive Behavioural Intervention or IBI), and positive reinforcement.
- Understand evidence-based treatments and how they are used to teach children with autism
- Design, implement and evaluate behavioural strategies
- Comprehend and respond to needs of family members
- Train caregivers to implement educational techniques with their children
- Develop an understanding of the field of Applied Behaviour Analysis (ABA), in the intensive behaviour intervention application with children with autism
- Develop a high degree of initiative with a high level of verbal and written communication skills
360° Classroom Tour
Students in the Autism and Behavioural Science program will complete two field placements in community settings, such as hospitals, clinics, classrooms or residential settings, to obtain real work experience.
Students will complete field placements in a variety of community organizations throughout Ontario.
“The Autism and Behavioural Science program is a miracle in my mind. I came across this program by chance... The program has given me a better opportunity, not only to understand autism, but other developmental disorders as well. With the ever increasing attention being placed on autism, knowing that I can help just one child accomplish one goal, is the reason I am here.” – JuliAnn
Work while you study!
Autism and Behavioural Science is offered part-time through Continuing Education.
- Admission Requirements
- Program Fees
- Career Opportunities
- Program of Studies (POS) - Course Overview & Descriptions
- Program Learning Outcomes
(questions related to Admissions, Acceptance, Transcripts, dates, etc)
(for those students interested in the part-time online ABS program (Distant Ed))
(for questions related to the full-time ABS program)