Graphic Design Production - Integrated Animation - 257
Graphic Design Production - Integrated Animation is a two-year Ontario College Diploma program offered at Mohawk's Fennell campus in Hamilton, Ontario.
Students will experience an integration of art/design, animation and video, design and animation for gaming and video production. They will have the opportunity to learn figure drawing for animation design, script writing for animation and video, and create original characters and stores for video productions.
- Integration of art/design, animation and video taught by industry professionals
- Design and animation for gaming and video production
- Learn 2D and 3D
- Animation and character design
- Location, environment, object structure design
- Rigging, texturing, lighting and rendering techniques
- Bring stories and characters to life through cinematic animation
- Figure drawing for animation design
- Script writing for animation and video
- Creating original characters and stories for video productions
- Performance character animation techniques
- Digital video production and editing
- Industry standard creative software
- Digital concept colour design
- Storyboarding for video and animation
- Scriptwriting for animation
- Access to the latest technology
- Industry standard hardware and software
- Industry standard digital tablet technology
- Business and employment skills
- Think and produce visually
- Develop production work practices
- Study the business of art for profit
- Develop creative demo-reel and portfolio
2 academic years (periods of 8 months)
- OSSD or equivalent (Mohawk Academic Upgrading, GED) including:
- Grade 12 English, C or U or equivalent
- Students are required to purchase a specified laptop computer with software and art supply materials for use in the program. Accepted applicants will be notified of details regarding hardware and software purchases to include a digital drawing tablet.
- Check out the Laptop Requirements for this program.
Option are available for mature applicants.
Don't have the necessary requirements?
Preference will be given to applicants that submit a portfolio. Applicants who wish to submit a portfolio should follow the following guidelines
Additional or Technical Recommendations
Fall 2016 Intake
The Integrated Animation program has implemented a mandatory PC laptop requirement, configured to industry standards to enhance the student-learning environment and increases student satisfaction; providing each graduate with industry leading hardware and software that will support you in pursuit of your career goals. Purchasing this laptop as well as the required software, will create a mobile digital studio in which you will be able to work 24/7 on projects and assignments. Upon graduation you will possess not only the knowledge, but the equipment required to start in your chosen profession.
Please find below the minimum laptop requirements, as well as a breakdown of the equipment, hardware and software that you will require over the course of the two year Integrated Animation program.
- PC Laptop (not Mac!) with minimum 8GB of RAM and an Intel i5 or i7 (recommended) processor and minimum 1TB hard drive. (Recommended laptop: Dell Precision 15 5000 Series). ($1,500 – $2,500)
- Minimum Graphics Card Requirements: Nvidia graphics card GeForce GTX 400 series or higher (strongly recommended) or ATI Radeon HD (6870 – 7970)
- Wacom Intuos Pro medium Drawing Tablet ($350 - $500)
- Optional: Wacom Companion 2 (or higher) (the companion is a laptop and drawing tablet in 1, if buying this you do not need a laptop and drawing tablet as mentioned above.
You will need to purchase the following:
- Windows 7 or higher
- Autodesk 3ds Max 2016 and Mudbox 2016 (will be installed during the first week of class, the education version of this software is free for students who sign up with their Mohawk email address)
- Adobe Creative Cloud (Photoshop, Premiere Pro, After Effects, Audition)
Adobe products are subscription based, students will sign up to adobe cloud and receive the student rate which is $19.99/month. This gives students access to all adobe software while they are signed up to adobe cloud. Credit card is required to sign up.
Material Art Kit Package (approx. $138.00)
The Graphic Design Production - Integrated Animation Diploma program trains students for a variety of career opportunities. Graphic Design careers may involve the following:
Industries of Employment
- Internet/Website video and animation production
- Digital video production and television
- Advertising and marketing
- Educational storytelling
- Script Writer for promotional, educational and entertainment industries
- Storyboarding for video and animation
- Training and promotional animation/video production
- Independent and freelance video, animation production
- Television and feature film animation production
- Gaming concept designer
- Comic strip and graphic novel artist
- Gaming character and environment designer
- Gaming 3D modeler and rigger
- Gaming character animator
- TV series 2D/3D designer, modeler, animator Digital Video editor
For degree transfer/completion opportunities, visit Pathways and Credit Transfer