Pre-Media and Entertainment - 194
This certificate program is for students who are unsure what area of media they should pursue. Pre-Media allows students to sample various aspects of media to help them make a more informed decision about their future studies
Students in Mohawk's Pre-Media and Entertainment Certificate program will discover the opportunities available in the communications media industry including television, radio, and journalism.
- Discover the opportunities available in the communications media industry including television, radio, and journalism
- Explore the history of media and the realities of working in today’s media industry
- Analyze the role, responsibility and impact of television, radio, print, film and Internet on today’s society
- Learn success strategies that will develop valuable academic and personal skills for the future
- Benefit from hands-on experience with digital still photography and video cameras in both individual and group projects
- Explore writing style, structure and techniques for effective presentation
Minimum requirements for admission to the Pre-Media & Entertainment Certificate
- OSSD or equivalent (Mohawk Academic Upgrading, GED) including:
- Grade 12 English, E, C or U or equivalent
- Students will be required to pay a Digital Print Fee
Contact Admissions for options that are available for mature applicants.
Don't have the necessary requirements?
This program may enhance entry to college and university communications, multimedia and cultural studies programs by upgrading college-level skills and enhancing academic confidence.
The Pre-Media and Entertainment Certificate program prepares students for entry into a variety of media diploma courses.
Media and Entertainment careers may involve the following.
Industries of Employment:
- Broadcasting and Telecommunications
- Recording Industry
- Film, Theatre
- Production and Operational Positions in Media Arts and Entertainment
- Post-Production, Graphics and Sound
With a focus on foundational study, this program is designed to provide exposure to the media industry that will contribute to success in additional study.
Program of Studies
Course Overview & Descriptions
Program Learning Outcomes, often referred to as ‘Program Standards', set out the essential learning that a student must achieve before being deemed ready to graduate.
In many cases these program learning outcomes were developed by the Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities (MTCU) in consultation with employers and educators who are experts in the program field. To ensure the outcomes remain current and in line with industry needs, we invite our employers, graduates working in the field and current students to re-examine and update them during regular, ongoing program review focus groups.