Occupational Therapist Assistant and Physiotherapist Assistant Diploma - 746
PROGRAM STATUS: Waitlisted for September 2016
SCHOOL: Health Sciences
PROGRAM NUMBER: 746
PROGRAM LENGTH: 2 academic years (periods of 8 months)
CAMPUS: Institute for Applied Health Sciences at McMaster - Hamilton
CO-OP OPTION: No
ACCREDITATION: Ontario College Diploma
|Institute for Applied Health Sciences at McMaster
Take on an important supporting role in Occupational Therapy and Physiotherapy in this client/patient-focused career
Occupational Therapist Assistant and Physiotherapist Assistant is a two-year Ontario College Diploma program offered at the Institute for Applied Health Sciences (IAHS) located at McMaster University in Hamilton, Ontario.
Outcomes of the OTA and PTA Diploma Program meet the competencies outlined by the National Competency Profiles for Occupational Therapist Assistants and Physiotherapist Assistants, visit caot.ca and alliancept.org
- Develop knowledge, skills and professional behaviour toward the delivery of treatment to clients/patients coping with temporary or permanent health limitations in movement and daily function
- Demonstrate initiative, creativity, respect for self and others, and strong work ethics
- Experience clinical/fieldwork placements within and outside the Hamilton area
- Experience a newly enhanced problem-based learning curriculum that uses an integrated OTA and PTA approach to reflect the role of the assistant in current practice
- The Occupational Therapist Assistant and Physiotherapist Assistant Program at Mohawk College has been accredited by the Occupational Therapist Assistant and Physiotherapist Assistant Education Accreditation Program (OTA & PTA EAP) in collaboration with Physiotherapy Education Accreditation Canada (PEAC) and the Canadian Association of Occupational Therapists (CAOT). The status of Accreditation was granted to the program on April 30, 2014 for the period until April 30, 2020.
- Occupational Therapist Assistant and Physiotherapist Assistant Education Accreditation Program, c/o Physiotherapy Education Accreditation Canada, Suite 26, 509 Commissioners Road West, London, Ontario, N6J 1Y5, (226) 636-0632, www.otapta.ca
360° Classroom Tour
Clinical placements may occur at locations that are not accessible by public transit. As such, students shall be expected to either have access to a car or the ability to supply their own transportation when attending clinical placement activity. Mohawk shall not be responsible for providing students with transportation to clinical placements.
Clinical experience is provided in health care agencies throughout Ontario.