Pharmacy Technician Diploma - 407
PROGRAM STATUS: Waitlisted for September 2015
SCHOOL: Health Sciences
PROGRAM NUMBER: 407
PROGRAM LENGTH: 2 years
CAMPUS: Institute for Applied Health Sciences at McMaster - Hamilton
CO-OP OPTION: No
ACCREDITATION: Ontario College Diploma
|407 - Institute for Applied Health Sciences at McMaster
Obtain a prescription to the world of pharmaceuticals with simulated pharmacy lab experiences
The Pharmacy Technician program has been awarded the status of Full Accreditation by the Canadian Council for Accreditation of Pharmacy Programs for a five year term (2013-2017).
- Acquire knowledge and skills in the delivery of pharmaceutical services in both community and institutional practices
- Understand legislation and methodology surrounding dispensing prescriptions, preparation and distribution of pharmaceuticals, and drug inventory controls
- Learn the many uses and classes of available prescription and non-prescription drugs, medical devices, herbals and complementary care medicine products
- Gain practical experience through simulated lab courses of both community and hospital pharmacy practice
- Apply various compounding techniques in the preparation of sterile and non-sterile pharmaceuticals
- Experience eight weeks of field placement in both a community and institutional pharmacy
MISSION: To provide our students with opportunities to gain and apply quality knowledge, skills, and work place experience and to graduate them profession ready, fully able to perform within the scope of practice for pharmacy technicians, as set out by the national standards of practice.
VISION: Our graduates embrace and engage with the profession and practice as pharmacy technicians who positively contribute to the health of our communities.
360° Classroom Tour
Full Time Faculty
Angela Roach, Pharmacist, Coordinator/Professor
George Tsallas, Pharmacist, Professor
Also supported with part time professors and teaching assistants who currently work in the pharmacy field
Clinical experience is provided in the health care agencies throughout Ontario. Read more about Pre-Clinical Requirements.