Office Administration – Health Services - 335
Students in the Office Administration - Health Services program will take medical office courses to learn to provide administrative support to a busy hospital unit and they will discover the challenge of a private medical practice, acquire medical transcription skills and learn extensive medical terminology and anatomy.
Office Administration - Health Services has an active program advisory committee that meets to ensure the program is current.
View the Exceptions Calendar for start dates and semester break information.
- Experience a program well-recognized by our local and extended community of hospitals and medical offices
- Learn to provide administrative support to a busy hospital unit
- Discover the challenge of a private medical practice including the EMR
- Become skilled in medical transcription and Ministry of Health Insurance billing
- Complete our highly respected Medical Terminology 1 and 2 courses
- Train in Meditech through our link to Hamilton Health Sciences
- Prepare for additional educational opportunities in other health care fields such as nursing, pharmacy and laboratory
- Attend the annual resume fair by St. Joseph’s Healthcare
- Experience a two-week placement in the medical community to apply the theory and skills acquired in the classroom
- Common semester 1 and 2 with Office Administration - General (380)
Minimum requirements for admission to the Office Administration – Health Services Diploma program
- OSSD or equivalent (Mohawk Academic Upgrading, GED) including:
- Grade 12 English, C or U or equivalent
- Excellent reading comprehension, spelling, and basic computer and keyboarding skills recommended
Option are available for mature applicants.
Note: this is a Competitive Program
Apply by February 1st.
Don't have the necessary requirements?
Industries of employment:
- Hospital Units and Departments
- Doctors/Specialists in Private Practice
- Laboratories and X-ray Clinics
- Government Offices
- Community Agencies
- Business/Ward/Unit Clerks
- Medical Transcriptionists
- Patient Registration Clerks
- MOH Billing Clerks
- Administrative Assistants
- Medical Secretaries
- Graduates may transfer directly into the third semester of one of the other Office Administration specialty programs, provided that seats are available
- For degree transfer/ completion opportunities, visit mohawkcollege.ca/credittransfer
Program of Studies
Course Overview & Descriptions
Program Learning Outcomes, often referred to as ‘Program Standards', set out the essential learning that a student must achieve before being deemed ready to graduate.
In many cases these program learning outcomes were developed by the Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities (MTCU) in consultation with employers and educators who are experts in the program field. To ensure the outcomes remain current and in line with industry needs, we invite our employers, graduates working in the field and current students to re-examine and update them during regular, ongoing program review focus groups.
Visit the Office Administration & Travel and Tourism Student Work Experience Partnership page for information on the field placement opportunities for this program!