Tourism - 964
Did you know tourism is one of the world’s fastest growing industries. Visit tourismhamilton.com for attractions, events and more.
Students in the Tourism program will prepare for an exciting career that provides an opportunity for employment within various sectors of the tourism industry. Students will network with industry partners and benefit from guest speakers, trade shows, conferences, and career fairs.
The Association of Canadian Travel Agencies (ACTA) (opens new window) gives our program a Four Star Rating.
After successful completion of all required courses, students complete a mandatory two week unpaid work placement. Students are responsible to source their own placement.
Tourism is one of the world’s fastest growing industries, offering a wide variety of exciting Career Opportunities.
ACTA (Association of Canadian Travel Agencies) gives our program a Four Star Rating. Please visit the Association of Canadian Travel Agencies (ACTA) (opens new window) website for further information.
Mohawk's Tourism program has the highest overall student satisfaction of any comparable program in Ontario.
View the Exceptions Calendar for start dates and semester break information.
Fast Track - allows students to complete a two-year Diploma program (non co-op) in 16 months. Students will start in January and be in school for four continuous semesters: Winter, Spring/Summer, Fall and Winter. Students will not be off during the summer.
- Prepare for an exciting career that provides an opportunity for employment within various sectors of the tourism industry
- Network with industry partners and benefit from guest speakers, trade shows, conferences, and career fairs
- Acquire specialized skills in Sabre and Apollo Reservation Systems
- Develop communication, business, and industry-specific computer skills
- Students have a wide range of choices for industry specialization
- Students have the opportunity to earn industry certification by writing the Certified Travel Counsellor (CTC) exam
- Every person working for a registered Ontario retail travel agency and selling travel services or providing travel advice to the public must, by law, meet the Travel Industry Council of Ontario (TICO) Education Standards. The opportunity to write the certification exam will be provided
- After successful completion of all required courses, students complete a mandatory twoweek unpaid work placement. Students are responsible for sourcing their own placement.
Minimum requirements for admission to the Tourism Diploma program
- OSSD or equivalent (Mohawk Academic Upgrading, GED) including:
- Grade 12 English, C or U or equivalent
- Bring Your Own Device (BYOD) - you will require a mobile computing device that meets specifications determined by the program
Option are available for mature applicants.
Bring Your Own Device
Don't have the necessary requirements?
The Tourism Diploma program can lead to exciting career opportunities
Tourism careers may involve the following
Industries of Employment
- Travel Agencies
- Tour Wholesalers/Operators
- Hotels, Resorts and Cruise Lines
- Government Agencies
- Tourism Call Centres
Specific Career Opportunities
- Overseas Destination Representatives
- Customer Service Representatives
- Sales Representatives
- Reservation Agents
- Tourism Consultants
For degree transfer/completion opportunities, visit Pathways and Credit Transfer
Program of Studies
Course Overview & Descriptions
Program Learning Outcomes, often referred to as ‘Program Standards', set out the essential learning that a student must achieve before being deemed ready to graduate.
In many cases these program learning outcomes were developed by the Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities (MTCU) in consultation with employers and educators who are experts in the program field. To ensure the outcomes remain current and in line with industry needs, we invite our employers, graduates working in the field and current students to re-examine and update them during regular, ongoing program review focus groups.
Visit the Office Administration & Travel and Tourism Student Work Experience Partnership page for information on the field placement opportunities for this program!