General Arts and Science Certificate (College Transfer) - 230
- Develop essential employability skills such as strong communication, critical thinking, and socio-cultural awareness.
- Customize your schedule with a wide range of electives chosen from your areas of interest delivered in blended and online learning environments.
- Get a fresh start by upgrading and achieving the entrance-level requirements and transfer credits needed for other competitive college and university programs.
- Enjoying your first year of studies and want to learn more? Continue into the second year of this program – the General Arts and Science (University Transfer) Diploma, and unlock additional university pathway opportunities.
What you'll learn
- Introduction to a wide variety of course options in the humanities and social science disciplines to broaden your understanding of the world around you.
- Critically evaluate global and social issues and topics by demonstrating an understanding of interdisciplinary connections between society, culture, environment, politics and history.
- Develop communication skills to a level required by business and other professions.
- Gain essential employability skills that will be applicable in both your future career and post-secondary educational aspirations.
Who Should Apply
- Unsure about your future? Discover your interests and passion by taking a wide variety of course options in the humanities and social science disciplines to broaden your understanding of the world around you.
- Missing admission requirements for a college program? Need a fresh start? Obtain your admission requirements, upgrade your academic skills and earn credits toward your future program.
- Looking for a pathway to university? Considering completing the General Arts & Science two-year Diploma (208)? Start off in the one-year Certificate to gain confidence and enhance your abilities before committing to the two-year diploma.
1 academic year (period of 8 months)
We’re here for you to support applications and admissions by providing online and virtual service.
Applied and have questions?
The admissions team is available to help, you can contact them via Admissions or by phone at 1-844-767-6871.
Haven’t applied and need help?
Contact us or phone 905-575-2460.
Take a virtual campus tour!
Explore Mohawk College from the comfort of home! Our virtual campus tours provide a guided visit of our buildings, labs, services, classrooms and athletic and recreation centre.
Domestic and International student admission requirements
- OSSD or equivalent (Mohawk Academic Upgrading, GED) including:
- Grade 12 English, C or U or equivalent
- Grade 10 Mathematics, D or P level or equivalent is recommended for students taking Math and Science courses
Language Requirements for International Students:
- See below for accepted equivalents for Grade 12 English:
Applicants whose first language is not English will be required to demonstrate proficiency in English. Options are available for mature applicants.
Tuition and Fees
2021 - 2022 Domestic Tuition and Fees
|Description||Semester 1||Semester 2|
Compulsory Ancillary Fees
Compulsory Program Fees
|Total Domestic Charges Per Semester||$2,185.06||$2,066.09|
|Total 1st Year Fees||$4,251.15|
Above fees based on full-time September program start date. Contact Student Services to confirm fees for other start dates or semesters.
- Awards: Scholarships and Bursaries
- OSAP Eligible. Learn about Ontario Student Assistance Program (OSAP).
- Full Cost Breakdown
2021 - 2022 International Tuition and Fees
|Description||Semester 1||Semester 2|
Total Tuition & Ancillary Fees
Program Compulsory Fees
|International Tax Recovery||$450.00||$375.00|
|Total International Charges Per Semester||$8,545.00||$8,470.00|
|Total 1st Year Fees||$17,015.00|
- International Scholarships and Bursaries
- OSAP not eligible for International Students
- Full Cost Breakdown
If you pay by wire transfer, please note your bank might charge you a fee to transfer money. Make sure your transfer includes the Mohawk payment and the wire transfer fee. This applies to each wire transfer payment you make.
Course Overview & Descriptions
Click on the course title for a course description.
Program Learning Outcomes, often referred to as ‘Program Standards', set out the essential learning that a student must achieve before being deemed ready to graduate.
- Review the program learning outcomes for General Arts and Science Certificate (College Transfer) (230)
In many cases these program learning outcomes were developed by the Ministry of Colleges and Universities (MCU) in consultation with employers and educators who are experts in the program field. To ensure the outcomes remain current and in line with industry needs, we invite our employers, graduates working in the field and current students to re-examine and update them during regular, ongoing program review focus groups.
Your future career options
- Obtaining a postsecondary certificate in General Arts and Science equips you with the essential employability skills that employers are seeking and offers a postsecondary credential that is often a requirement for various fields of employment.
- Graduates of the General Arts and Science program are prepared to pursue careers in every industry. Many graduates have become healthcare workers, engineers, entrepreneurs, television broadcasters, researchers, lawyers and even professors in our program.
Where you could work includes:
- Data collection and Research
Pathways to Mohawk
If you've successfully taken a course at another post-secondary institution, you may be able to earn course exemptions toward your credential here at Mohawk.
Pathways within Mohawk
If you have successfully completed one of the following programs at Mohawk, you may be eligible to receive transfer credit in this program. *
We offer a diverse range of programs to further your studies within Mohawk following completion of this program. *
- Pre-Health Sciences Pathway to Certificates and Diplomas
- Biotechnology (Health)
- Broadcasting - Radio
- Early Childhood Education
- General Arts and Science Diploma (University Transfer)
- Health, Wellness and Fitness
- Office Administration - Executive
- Office Administration - General
- Office Administration - Health Services
- Office Administration - Legal
- Police Foundations
- Recreation Therapy
- Social Service Worker
- Chemical Engineering Technology
- Child and Youth Care
- Massage Therapy
This Pathways map shows how the identified program can lead to future program choices within Mohawk.
Pathways beyond Mohawk
Earn a degree:
- Completion of the General Arts & Science 208 Diploma will maximize your credit transfers to university in a Social Sciences and Humanities discipline and unlock our articulation agreements with McMaster University, the University of Toronto-Mississauga and Athabasca University.
See ontransfer.ca for additional opportunities at other colleges or universities in Ontario.
Search the Mohawk Transfer Database for opportunities outside of Ontario.
Learn more about the General Arts and Science program.
Domestic Canadian Students
Contact Student Recruitment
Haven’t applied yet and have questions?
Contact our Student Recruitment team for information on programs, how to apply, and more.
Contact our Admissions advisors for help with your application.
Contact International Student Recruitment
Contact our International Student Recruitment team for information on programs, how to apply, and student life.
Toll free phone numbers:
For general questions: 1-888-Mohawk9 (1-888-664-2959)
North China: 10-800-714-2521
South China: 10-800-140-2541