OSAP Frequently Asked Questions

1. What is a Master Student Financial Aid Agreement (MSFAA)?

The MSFAA is a lifetime student loan agreement for full-time students that only has to be completed once during your post-secondary studies.

Be sure to take your completed MSFAA to a designated Canada Post Office (opens new window) with your Social Insurance Card and one piece of valid Canadian Government-issued photo I.D. after you complete your application.

Financial Assistance cannot accept or submit this document on your behalf. Read more at How to get OSAP (opens new window)

2. How do I submit my MSFAA loan agreement if I can't go to a Canada Post Outlet?

If you are unable to go to a Canada Post outlet (or National Student Loan Student Centre kiosk):

  • because you are not in Canada
  • in a remote area
  • don’t have a designated Canada Post outlet nearby

You can mail page 1 of your signed MSFAA and photocopies of two pieces of valid government-issued photo identification to:

National Student Loans Service Centre
PO Box 4030
Mississauga, ON, L5A 4M4

Learn more at How do I submit my loan agreement (opens new window).

3. Why haven’t I received my OSAP yet?

There are a number of reasons why a student may not have received their funding yet. If you have not received your funding, it is likely that one of the situations below applies to you:

  • If you recently applied for OSAP, your application is being reviewed. It can take up to 6 weeks for the Ministry to review and verify your information.
  • You have not submitted your MSFAA or supporting documents. Your application will be on hold until the MSFAA and supporting documents have been received by the Ministry.
  • There may be errors on your application. Check your OSAP application status on-line on the OSAP website (opens new window).
  • You may have made changes to your application after it was submitted that have changed your loan assessment such as income, course load, living arrangements or transportation costs. When the changes are made, the Ministry has to review your application again to assess your OSAP.
  • If the college has just received your file to confirm your enrolment, it can take 3 business days for the college to confirm your enrolment. It can take 5-10 business days for the funds to be deposited in your account.

4. How can I check the status of my application?

Login to your OSAP account (opens new window) to see updates on your file. You will find out if there are any errors or if the Ministry requires any additional information from you before they can process your loan. Your status will be updated throughout the assessment process. Once your status is ‘confirmed’, National Student Loans Service Centre (NSLSC) will be given your funding information and they will start to process the payments to your bank account.

5. What if 10 days have passed and my funds have not been deposited?

If you have not received your funds after10 business days of Financial Assistance's confirming your enrolment, call the National Student Loans Student Centre at 1-888-815-4514

6. Why did I receive two separate deposits?

Your Federal and Provincial funds are deposited separately.

7. Do I have to pay my tuition?

You are responsible for paying your tuition fees. When you submitted your application, you were asked if you wanted the Ministry to use a portion of your OSAP funding to pay your tuition and compulsory fees directly to the college. If you answered "Yes", National Student Loans Student Centre will direct your funds to the college to cover your semester’s fees. You need to check your account status on MOCOmotion to confirm your fees were paid in full.

8. How do I check my account status on MOCOmotion?

Sign on to the MOCOmotion portal, select "My Student Account" tab and under the "My Account" channel, click on "My Financial Account Summary by Term".

9. How do I get my OAN (Ontario Access Number) reset?

If you forgot your password, you can either:

  • use your Challenge Questions and Answers that you created in your OSAP application to log in to the OSAP website.
  • obtain a temporary password in person at a Financial Assistance Office of any College or University. Make sure you bring your Social Insurance Card and one piece of valid government-issued photo I.D. to confirm your identity at the Financial Assistance Office.
  • use the Temporary Password Request Form (opens new window).

10. How and when will I know if I am entitled for OSAP?

Confirmation of your assessment will be provided by the Ministry. Login to the OSAP website (opens new window) to check the status of your application periodically.

11. What do I do if my situation changes?

Be sure to speak with our staff in the Financial Assistance Office or email your Financial Aid Advisor if you have any changes of your situation (i.e. course load, income, award funding, marital status, etc.)

12. What do I do if my OSAP is late and I can't manage financially?

You can visit the Financial Assistance Office and talk to one of our Financial Aid Advisors for options. Another resource to consider is the Mo'Money Resource Centre.

13. What do I do if I can't make my OSAP funds last until the end of the term?

Budget advising is provided by the Financial Assistance Office or Counselling Services throughout the academic year and workshops are hosted periodically by the National Student Loans Service Centre. In addition, budget advising is available through the Mo'Money Resource Centre (Social Inc., Room G112).

14. How do I check the status of my OSAP?

Check the status of your OSAP application and assessment on the Ontario Student Assistance Program website (opens new window) or the automated voice response system at 1-866-330-3331.

You can also research valuable information about the federal and provincial student loans programs such as Ontario Student Opportunity Grant (replacing loan forgiveness) and Interest Relief programs.

15. How do I change my bank information?

You can update your bank information by completing the Bank Account Change Request Form (opens new window) and faxing the completed form to 1-866-658-8801. Visit CanLearn for more information.

16. Where can I find a Student Services Office?

Student Services Office are located in:

  • Fennell Campus: The Square - Rm. C102
  • McMaster Campus: The Square (located across Rm. 123)
  • Stoney Creek Campus: The Welcome Centre - Rm. A111

For more information on how to apply for OSAP visit the Government of Ontario website (opens new window) and the OSAP website (opens new window).