Autism and Behavioural Science - 164
Mohawk's Autism and Behavioural Science program has the highest overall student satisfaction of any comparable program in Ontario.
Autism Spectrum Disorder is a condition that can affect the social, communicative and play behaviour in young children. The condition affects approximately one in 250 children in Canada. Without treatment, children with autism may not learn to speak, interact, or function in their community. Applied Behaviour Analysis (ABA) is used to teach children with autism to develop new skills, such as language or social play, through repeated practice, intensive teaching (Intensive Behavioural Intervention or IBI), and positive reinforcement.
View the Exceptions Calendar for start dates and semester break information.
- Understand evidence-based treatments and how they are used to teach children with autism
- Design, implement and evaluate behavioural strategies
- Comprehend and respond to needs of family members
- Train caregivers to implement educational techniques with their children
- Develop an understanding of the field of Applied Behaviour Analysis (ABA), in the intensive behaviour intervention application with children with autism
- Students will complete two field placements in community settings, such as hospitals, clinics, classrooms or residential settings, to obtain real work experience throughout Ontario
- Field placements may occur at locations that are not accessible by public transit. As such, students shall be expected to either have access to a car or the ability to supply their own transportation when attending field placement activity. Mohawk shall not be responsible for providing students with transportation to field placements within or outside the Hamilton region
- Registered students who have been convicted of an offence under the criminal code for which they have not been pardoned may be denied the opportunity to enter field placement
- Students may be required to complete various Immunizations and Disease Screening Protocols required by some field placement agencies
Minimum requirements for admission to the Autism and Behavioural Science Graduate Certificate program
- Minimum two-year College diploma or University degree
- Preference given to applicants with Human Services and Health Sciences Diplomas and Degrees
- Attendance at program orientations is strongly recommended
- Applicants should note that some employment opportunities require that certain physical standards must be met as a condition of employment
Note: iPads are required to be used in this program
Note: this is a Competitive Program
Apply before the application end date. Read more about Competitive Programs.
Don't have the necessary requirements?
The Autism and Behavioural Science Graduate Certificate program can lead to exciting career opportunities.
Industries of Employment:
- Community Treatment Agencies
- Hospital/Clinical Settings
- Private Agencies or Independent Contractors
- Family Homes
- School Boards
- Instructor Therapists
- Behaviour Therapists
- ABA Therapists
Program of Studies
Program Learning Outcomes, often referred to as ‘Program Standards', set out the essential learning that a student must achieve before being deemed ready to graduate.
In many cases these program learning outcomes were developed by the Ministry of Training, Colleges and Universities (MTCU) in consultation with employers and educators who are experts in the program field. To ensure the outcomes remain current and in line with industry needs, we invite our employers, graduates working in the field and current students to re-examine and update them during regular, ongoing program review focus groups.
Become an Agency
If you would like to become an Agency that takes students on placement from Mohawk College's Human Services programs, please visit the Human Services Placement page.