Occupational Therapist Assistant and Physiotherapist Assistant - 746
- Interprofessional course delivery with occupational therapy (OT) and physiotherapy (PT) faculty teaching collaboratively in selected core courses.
What you'll learn
- Knowledge, skills and professional behaviour required to deliver treatment to clients/ patients with limitations in movement and daily function.
- Gain initiative, creativity, respect for self and others, and a strong work ethic.
- Apply theoretical learning in an authentic, real-world setting when you study in the Living Classroom at the Tansley Woods campus.
2 academic years
- The Occupational Therapy Assistant and Physiotherapy Assistant program at Mohawk College has been accredited by the Occupational Therapist Assistant and Physiotherapist Assistant Education Accreditation Program (OTA & PTA EAP) in collaboration with Physiotherapy Education Accreditation Canada (PEAC) and the Canadian Association of Occupational Therapists (CAOT). The status of Accreditation was awarded to the program on April 30, 2020 for the period until April 30, 2026.
- For more information, contact:
Occupational Therapist Assistant and Physiotherapist Assistant Education Accreditation Program
Suite 26, 509 Commissioners Road West
London, Ontario, N6J 1Y5
Learn more about Occupational Therapist Assistant and Physiotherapist Assistant Education Accreditation Program
- Note: The accreditation status of the Tansley Woods delivery of the OTA/PTA program is currently in process of application.
Discover our campuses
Get Future Ready for a career in senior living at Tansley Woods
Mohawk College's new campus located at The Village of Tansley Woods provides students the opportunity to study and learn in a retirement and long term care environment.
Discover the Institute for Applied Health Sciences at McMaster
The Institute for Applied Health Sciences (IAHS) is located in West Hamilton on the McMaster campus. The IAHS campus is where the majority (but not all) of our health programs are taught. Learn more about the IAHS:
We’re here for you to support applications and admissions by providing online and virtual service.
Applied and have questions?
The admissions team is available to help, you can contact them via Admissions or by phone at 1-844-767-6871.
Haven’t applied and need help?
Contact us or phone 905-575-2460.
Learn about program delivery terms.
Language Requirements for Applicants with English as a Second Language
- See below for accepted equivalents for Grade 12 English:
- Successful completion of the GAS-English for Academic Purposes (478 or 278) program
- TOEFL minimum score of 550 (80 Internet based)
- or IELTS Academic minimum score of 6.0 overall with no band less than 5.5
- More information about acceptable certificates, can be found on the International Admission Requirements
Tuition and Fees
2023 - 2024 Domestic Tuition and Fees
|Description||Semester 1||Semester 2|
|Compulsory Ancillary Fees||$864.60||$758.46|
|Compulsory Program Fees||$113.00||$0.00|
|Total Domestic Charges Per Semester||$2,331.64||$2,112.50|
|Total 1st Year Fees||$4,444.14|
Above fees based on full-time September program start date. Contact Student Services to confirm fees for other start dates or semesters.
- Full Cost Breakdown
- Explore payment options
- Book costs for your program can be found through the McMaster Campus Store
2023 - 2024 International Tuition and Fees
|Description||Semester 1||Semester 2|
|Total Tuition & Ancillary Fee||$8,355.00||$8,355.00|
|Program Compulsory Fees||$113.00||$0.00|
|International Tax Recovery||$450.00||$375.00|
|Total International Per Semester||$8,918.00||$8,730.00|
|Total 1st Year Fees||$17,648.00|
If you pay by wire transfer, please note your bank might charge you a fee to transfer money. Make sure your transfer includes the Mohawk payment and the wire transfer fee. This applies to each wire transfer payment you make.
When it comes to paying for your education, investing in your future can be more affordable than you think. A Mohawk education is one of the most cost-effective means of acquiring the skills and knowledge you need to have a prosperous and rewarding career.
As you start on your chosen career path, it's important to have a realistic set of expectations regarding the expenses associated with attending college. In addition to your tuition fees, you will also need to budget for books, supplies, housing, and other related living expenses. You may be able to supplement your income and savings with scholarships, bursaries, or loans. It pays to do some research into what types of financial assistance you may qualify for.
Available Financial Assistance Resources:
- OSAP Eligible. Learn about Ontario Student Assistance Program - OSAP (domestic students only)
- Working on Campus
- Additional Sources of Funding
- Financial Assistance Home Page
Apply for Awards:
By submitting a Scholarships and Bursaries Application every semester, students have access to over $3 million in Mohawk College scholarships, bursaries and Ministry-partnered funding to help meet their financial needs.
Financial Literacy and Money Coaching:
Whether saving for school, sticking to a budget, or planning for a major purchase, financial literacy affects us all. That's why Mo' Money is committed to helping our students improve their money skills and become more confident with their money.
Course Overview & Descriptions
Click on the course title for a course description.
How you'll gain skills
- Dedicated weekly OTA and PTA skills labs taught by OT and PT faculty and clinicians.
- Practice in cutting-edge high-tech hospital lab space.
- Experience 562.5 hours of unpaid clinical placement experience in health care agencies throughout Ontario.
- Experience interactive simulations, to further develop course concepts.
All accepted applicants are required to complete certain requirements prior to clinical placement and are responsible for the associated costs. Details about pre-placement requirements will be emailed to you once you accept your offer of admission.
A clear Police Records Check for Service with the Vulnerable Sector (PRCSVS) is required for completion of the placement requirements of this program. If you register in the program without a clear PRCSVS , and, as a result, are unable to participate in placement, you will not be able to progress in the program.
For Tansley Woods students: A Clear PRCVS completed within the last 6 months is required for semester one start and must remain valid for the duration of the program.
For Institute for Applied Health Sciences students: A Clear PRCVS completed within the last 6 months is required for semester three clinical placement and must remain valid for the duration of the program.
Clinical placements may occur at locations that are not accessible by public transit. As such, students shall be expected to either have access to a car or the ability to supply their own transportation when attending clinical placement activities. Mohawk shall not be responsible for providing students with transportation to clinical placements.
For more information regarding the 562.5 hour Occupational Therapist Assistant and Physiotherapist Assistant clinical placement, please contact the brooke.malstrom [at] mohawkcollege.ca (subject: OTA%2FPTA%20Clinical%20Placement%20Inquiry%20) (clinical placement specialist).
Program Learning Outcomes, often referred to as ‘Program Standards', set out the essential learning that a student must achieve before being deemed ready to graduate.
- Review the program learning outcomes for Occupational Therapist Assistant and Physiotherapist Assistant (746)
In many cases these program learning outcomes were developed by the Ministry of Colleges and Universities (MCU) in consultation with employers and educators who are experts in the program field. To ensure the outcomes remain current and in line with industry needs, we invite our employers, graduates working in the field and current students to re-examine and update them during regular, ongoing program review focus groups.
Your future career options
- Occupational Therapist Assistants (OTA)
- Physiotherapist Assistants (PTA)
- Combined OTA/PTA
Where you could work includes:
- Hospitals, Clinics
- Mental Health Facilities
- Long Term Care Facilities
- Rehabilitation Centres
- Children's Treatment Centres
- Private Practice
Opportunities for grads
- Become a member of Canadian Association of Occupational Therapists and/or Canadian Physiotherapy Association
Pathways to Mohawk
If you've successfully taken a course at another post-secondary institution, you may be able to earn course exemptions toward your credential here at Mohawk.
Pathways within Mohawk
If you have successfully completed one of the following programs at Mohawk, you may be eligible to receive transfer credit in this program. *
- Canadian Health Care for Foreign Trained Professionals (International Only)
- Pre-Health Sciences Pathway to Advanced Diplomas and Degrees
- Pre-Health Sciences Pathway to Certificates and Diplomas
- Health, Wellness and Fitness
We offer a diverse range of programs to further your studies within Mohawk following completion of this program. *
This Pathways map shows how the identified program can lead to future program choices within Mohawk.
Pathways beyond Mohawk
Earn a degree:
- Athabasca University - Bachelor of Science
- Davenport University - BSc Health Administration
- Thompson Rivers University - Bachelor of Health Sciences
See ontransfer.ca for additional opportunities at other colleges or universities in Ontario.
Search the Mohawk Transfer Database for opportunities outside of Ontario.
- Exposure to the professions of occupational therapy and physiotherapy through volunteering will increase knowledge of professions.
- Accepted applicants under the age of 18 may not be permitted to participate in some courses due to legal restrictions such as the Mental Health Act
- Visit the Career Handbook on the Government of Canada website for details on the functional requirements and physical demands for this National Occupational Classification.
- Program outcomes meet the competencies outlined by the National Competency Profiles for Occupational Therapist Assistants and Physiotherapist Assistants. Learn more at Canadian Association of Occupational Therapists and Canadian Alliance of Physiotherapy Regulators.
All students will be required to act as simulated patients for their peers in skills course labs and during skills practice sessions.
Domestic Canadian Students
Contact Student Recruitment
Haven’t applied yet and have questions?
Contact our Student Recruitment team for information on programs, how to apply, and more.
Contact our Admissions advisors for help with your application.
Contact International Student Recruitment
Contact our International Student Recruitment team for information on programs, how to apply, and student life.
Toll free phone numbers:
For general questions: 1-888-Mohawk9 (1-888-664-2959)
North China: 10-800-714-2521
South China: 10-800-140-2541