Occupational Therapist Assistant and Physiotherapist Assistant - 746
- Interprofessional course delivery with occupational therapy (OT) and physiotherapy (PT) faculty teaching collaboratively in selected core courses.
What you'll learn
- Knowledge, skills and professional behaviour required to deliver treatment to clients/ patients with limitations in movement and daily function.
- Gain initiative, creativity, respect for self and others, and a strong work ethic.
- Visit the Career Handbook on the Government of Canada website for details on the functional requirements and physical demands for this National Occupational Classification.
- Program outcomes meet the competencies outlined by the National Competency Profiles for Occupational Therapist Assistants and Physiotherapist Assistants. Learn more at caot.ca and alliancept.org.
2 academic years
Discover the Institute for Applied Health Sciences at McMaster
The Institute for Applied Health Sciences (IAHS) is located in West Hamilton on the McMaster campus. The IAHS campus is where the majority (but not all) of our health programs are taught. Learn more about the IAHS:
Visit Open House Plus, an on-demand, curated collection of videos, interviews and blogs about our programs, student services and supports! Get answers to your questions, watch video greeting from Deans and faculty, stay up-to-date on virtual events and more.
Tuition and Fees
Tuition and Fees
2020 - 2021 Domestic Tuition and Fees
|Semester 1||Semester 2|
|Compulsory Ancillary Fees||$753.47||$698.20|
|Compulsory Program Fees||$105.00||$0.00|
|Total Domestic Charges Per Semester||$2,212.51||$2,052.24|
|Total 1st Year Fees||$4,264.75|
Above fees based on full-time September program start date. Contact Student Services to confirm fees for other start dates or semesters.
- Awards: Scholarships and Bursaries
- OSAP Eligible. Learn about Ontario Student Assistance Program (OSAP).
- Full Cost Breakdown
2020 - 2021 International Tuition and Fees
|Semester 1||Semester 2|
|Total Tuition & Ancillary Fee||$7,879.00||$7,935.00|
|Program Compulsory Fees||$105.00||$0.00|
|International Tax Recovery||$450.00||$375.00|
|Total International Per Semester||$8,434.00||$8,310.00|
|Total 1st Year Fees||$16,744.00|
- International Scholarships and Bursaries
- OSAP not eligible for International Students
- Full Cost Breakdown
If you pay by wire transfer, please note your bank might charge you a fee to transfer money. Make sure your transfer includes the Mohawk payment and the wire transfer fee. This applies to each wire transfer payment you make.
Equal Consideration Date: February 1
- OSSD or equivalent (Mohawk Academic Upgrading, GED) including:
- Grade 12 English, C or U or equivalent
- Grade 11 or 12 Biology, C or U
- Grade 11 or 12 Physics or Chemistry, C or U
HOAE – Health Occupation Aptitude Examination
- Effective for the Fall 2021 entry and moving forward, the HOAE will no longer be required for admissions purposes.
- Volunteer experience is highly recommended in Physiotherapy and/or Occupational Therapy setting
- Accepted applicants under the age of 18 may not be permitted to participate in some courses due to legal restrictions such as the Mental Health Act
Language Requirements for International Students:
- See below for accepted equivalents for Grade 12 English:
How you'll gain skills
- Dedicated weekly OTA and PTA skills labs taught by OT and PT faculty and clinicians.
- Practice in cutting-edge high-tech hospital lab space.
- Experience 600 hours of unpaid clinical placement experience in health care agencies throughout Ontario.
- Experience interactive simulations, to further develop course concepts.
All accepted applicants are required to complete certain requirements prior to clinical placement and are responsible for the associated costs. Details about pre-placement requirements will be emailed to you once you accept your offer of admission.
To be eligible for field/clinical placement, you must not have been convicted of any offence for which you have not been pardoned. If your Police Check is 'not clear', your acceptance and suitability for placement is at the discretion of the agency. Mohawk College cannot guarantee placement changes if refused by the agency.
Clinical placements may occur at locations that are not accessible by public transit. As such, students shall be expected to either have access to a car or the ability to supply their own transportation when attending clinical placement activity. Mohawk shall not be responsible for providing students with transportation to clinical placements.
For more information regarding the 600 hour Occupational Therapist Assistant and Physiotherapist Assistant clinical placement, please contact the brooke.malstrom [at] mohawkcollege.ca (subject: OTA%2FPTA%20Clinical%20Placement%20Inquiry%20) (clinical placement specialist).
To learn more, please visit the Centre for Experiential Learning.
Mohawk offers a diverse range of programs to further your studies**. Students that graduate from any of the following Mohawk College Certificate, Ontario College Certificate and Ontario College Diploma programs are eligible to enroll into the Occupational Therapist Assistant and Physiotherapist Assistant program:
- Canadian Health Care for Foreign Trained Professionals (International Only)
- Pre-Health Sciences Pathway to Advanced Diplomas and Degrees
- Pre-Health Sciences Pathway to Certificates and Diplomas
- Health, Wellness and Fitness
Graduates from the Occupational Therapist Assistant and Physiotherapist Assistant program are eligible to enroll into the following Ontario College Diploma and Ontario College Graduate Certificate programs:
- Earn a degree:
- See ontransfer.ca for additional opportunities at other colleges or universities in Ontario.
- View our internal pathways map PDF. This Pathways map shows how the identified program can lead to future program choices within Mohawk.
- Visit Pathways and Credit Transfer for degree completion opportunities outside of Ontario.
Your future career options
- Occupational Therapist Assistants (OTA)
- Physiotherapist Assistants (PTA)
- Combined OTA/PTA
Where you could work includes:
- Hospitals, Clinics
- Mental Health Facilities
- Long Term Care Facilities
- Rehabilitation Centres
- Children's Treatment Centres
- Private Practice
Opportunities for grads
- Become a member of Canadian Association of Occupational Therapists and/or Canadian Physiotherapy Association
Program of Studies
Course Overview & Descriptions
Click on the course title for a course description.
Program Learning Outcomes, often referred to as ‘Program Standards', set out the essential learning that a student must achieve before being deemed ready to graduate.
- Review the program learning outcomes for Occupational Therapist Assistant and Physiotherapist Assistant (746)
In many cases these program learning outcomes were developed by the Ministry of Colleges and Universities (MCU) in consultation with employers and educators who are experts in the program field. To ensure the outcomes remain current and in line with industry needs, we invite our employers, graduates working in the field and current students to re-examine and update them during regular, ongoing program review focus groups.
- The Occupational Therapy Assistant and Physiotherapy Assistant program at Mohawk College has been accredited by the Occupational Therapist Assistant and Physiotherapist Assistant Education Accreditation Program (OTA & PTA EAP) in collaboration with Physiotherapy Education Accreditation Canada (PEAC) and the Canadian Association of Occupational Therapists (CAOT). The status of Accreditation was awarded to the program on April 30, 2020 for the period until April 30, 2026.
- For more information, contact:
Occupational Therapist Assistant and Physiotherapist Assistant Education Accreditation Program
Suite 26, 509 Commissioners Road West
London, Ontario, N6J 1Y5
All students will be required to act as simulated patients for their peers in skills course labs and during skills practice sessions.
Domestic Canadian Students
Contact Student Recruitment
Haven’t applied yet and have questions?
Contact our Student Recruitment team for information on programs, how to apply, and more.
Contact our Admissions advisors for help with your application.
Contact International Student Recruitment
Contact our International Student Recruitment team for information on programs, how to apply, and student life.
Toll free phone numbers:
For general questions: 1-888-Mohawk9 (1-888-664-2959)
North China: 10-800-714-2521
South China: 10-800-140-2541
Student Success Advisors
Student Success Advisors
Student Success Advisors assist current students to transition to college life, co-creating an academic success plan, advice on course selection, changing programs, or referrals to specialized support services. If you need help applying to Mohawk, contact Admissions (for International Students, please contact International Admissions).