Early Childhood Education - 213
- Living lab provides a realistic early years environment for hands on learning.
- Receive support developing a professional e-portfolio.
- Preplacement course prepares you for entry to field practice.
- Opportunities for specialized placements.
- Strong community partnerships providing volunteer experiences.
Learn more about financial support through the Ontario Early Childhood Educators Upgrade and Leadership Programs.
What you'll learn
- How to foster the development of the whole child through an understanding of child development and intentional planning.
- Collaborative skills to support children and their families through responsive relationships.
- Observation, pedagogical documentation and reflection of best practices.
- Current legislation and guiding principles of the Early Years System.
- Implement an integrated community approach to engage with children, families and professionals.
2 academic years (period of 8 months)
Fast Track - allows students to complete a two-year Diploma program in 16 months. Students will start in January and be in school for four continuous semesters: Winter, Spring/Summer, Fall and Winter. Students will not be off during the summer.
Explore our many videos, online resources and program options within the Open House Plus website.
We’re here for you to support applications and admissions by providing online and virtual service.
Applied and have questions?
The admissions team is available to help, you can contact them via Admissions or by phone at 1-844-767-6871.
Haven’t applied and need help?
Contact us or phone 905-575-2460.
Tuition and Fees
Tuition and Fees
2021 - 2022 Domestic Tuition and Fees
|Semester 1||Semester 2|
Compulsory Ancillary Fees
Compulsory Program Fees
|Total Domestic Charges Per Semester||$2,293.06||$2,066.09|
|Total 1st Year Fees||$4,359.15|
Above fees based on full-time September program start date. Contact Student Services to confirm fees for other start dates or semesters.
- Awards: Scholarships and Bursaries
- OSAP Eligible. Learn about Ontario Student Assistance Program (OSAP).
- Learn more financial support through the Ontario Early Childhood Educators Upgrade and Leadership Programs.
- Full Cost Breakdown
2021 - 2022 International Tuition and Fees
|Semester 1||Semester 2|
Total Tuition & Ancillary Fees
Program Compulsory Fees
|International Tax Recovery||$450.00||$375.00|
|Total International Charges Per Semester||$8,653.00||$8,470.00|
|Total 1st Year Fees||$17,123.00|
- International Scholarships and Bursaries
- OSAP not eligible for International Students
- Full Cost Breakdown
If you pay by wire transfer, please note your bank might charge you a fee to transfer money. Make sure your transfer includes the Mohawk payment and the wire transfer fee. This applies to each wire transfer payment you make.
Domestic and International student admission requirements
- OSSD or equivalent including:
- Grade 12 English C or U or equivalent (70% guideline)
- Volunteer experience in child care recommended
- Attendance at program orientation is strongly recommended
- Applicants should note that some employment opportunities require that certain physical standards must be met as a condition of employment
- See below for accepted equivalents for Grade 12 English:
Applicants whose first language is not English will be required to demonstrate proficiency in English. Options are available for mature applicants.
How you’ll gain skills
- Apply theory to practice through three wide-ranging practicum placements.
- Experience interactive simulations to further develop course concepts
- Explore academic content through field trips and site visits.
- Placements may occur at locations that are not accessible by public transit. As such, students shall be expected to either have access to a car or the ability to supply their own transportation when attending placement activity. Mohawk shall not be responsible for providing students with transportation to placements within or outside the Hamilton region
- Registered students who have been convicted of an offence under the criminal code for which they have not been pardoned may be denied the opportunity to enter placement
- Students may be required to complete various Immunizations and Disease Screening protocols required by some placement agencies
Students are on Placement 3 days per week for 9 weeks in semesters 2, 3 and 4
Note: Students will be required to complete Community Disease Screening protocol before starting placement.
Become an Agency
If you would like to become an Agency that takes students on placement from Mohawk College's Community Studies programs, please visit the Community Services Field Placements page.
Mohawk offers a diverse range of programs to further your studies**: Students that graduate from any of the following Mohawk College Certificate, Ontario College Certificate and Ontario College Diploma programs are eligible to enroll into the Early Childhood Education program:
- Child Development Practitioner (Apprenticeship)
- Development Service Worker (Apprenticeship)
- General Arts and Science Certificate (College Transfer)
- Human Services Foundation
- General Arts and Science (University Transfer)
Graduates from the Early Childhood Education program are eligible to enroll into the following Mohawk College Certificate, Ontario College Diploma Intensive, Ontario College Advanced Diploma and Ontario College Graduate Certificate programs:
- Early Childhood Education - Leadership and Administration
- Educational Support (Intensive)
- Recreation Therapy (Intensive)
- Social Service Worker (Intensive)
- Child and Youth Care
- Autism and Behavioural Science
- Brain Disorders Management
- Community and Social Services Management
- Concurrent Disorders
- Early Childhood Resource Consulting
- Expressive Arts
- Mental Health and Disability Management
- Earn a degree:
- Athabasca University - Bachelor of Professional Arts in Human Services
- Davenport University - BBA, General Business
- Visit Pathways and Credit Transfer for degree completion opportunities outside of Ontario.
- See ONTransfer for additional opportunities at other colleges or universities in Ontario.
View our internal pathways map PDF. This Pathways map shows how the identified program can lead to future program choices within Mohawk.
Your future career options
- Educator for infants, toddlers, preschoolers and school-aged children
- Facilitator of Family Support Programs
- Professional Learning Consultant
- Team-teach with an Ontario Certified Teacher
Where you could work includes:
- Childcare centres and early learning agencies
- Parent and child drop-in centres, such as EarlyON centres
- Professional Resource Centres
Opportunities for grads
- Membership to Affiliated Services for Children and Youth.
- Registration to College of Early Childhood Educators (ECE) upon graduation (required for ECE designation).
- Professional membership to Association of Early Childhood Educators.
Program of Studies
Course Overview & Descriptions
Click on the course title for a course description.
Program Learning Outcomes, often referred to as ‘Program Standards', set out the essential learning that a student must achieve before being deemed ready to graduate.
In many cases these program learning outcomes were developed by the Ministry of Colleges and Universities (MCU) in consultation with employers and educators who are experts in the program field. To ensure the outcomes remain current and in line with industry needs, we invite our employers, graduates working in the field and current students to re-examine and update them during regular, ongoing program review focus groups.
Domestic Canadian Students
Contact Student Recruitment
Haven’t applied yet and have questions?
Contact our Student Recruitment team for information on programs, how to apply, and more.
Contact our Admissions advisors for help with your application.
Contact International Student Recruitment
Contact our International Student Recruitment team for information on programs, how to apply, and student life.
Toll free phone numbers:
For general questions: 1-888-Mohawk9 (1-888-664-2959)
North China: 10-800-714-2521
South China: 10-800-140-2541
Student Success Advisors
Student Success Advisors
Student Success Advisors assist current students to transition to college life, co-creating an academic success plan, advice on course selection, changing programs, or referrals to specialized support services. If you need help applying to Mohawk, contact Admissions (for International Students, please contact International Admissions).