Recreation Therapy - 283
The purpose of Recreation Therapy is to enable all individuals to achieve quality of life, and optimal health through meaningful experiences in recreation and leisure. Recreation Therapy is a profession which provides service to, and advocates for individuals with physical, mental, social, behavioural or emotional limitations in a variety of settings such as hospitals, long-term care settings, day programs, community-based programs, and mental health centres. (Adapted from TRO)
- At Mohawk, we are committed to providing the best experiential learning through the integration of theory and practice. Our commitment to experiential learning is supported by faculty who understand its value.
- As a student in the program, you will receive a student membership with Therapeutic Recreation Ontario (TRO).
- Develop facilitation practice skills while taking a course in a community RT setting.
- Experiential learning through the integration of theory and practice which is supported by faculty who understand its value.
- Mohawk College’s Therapeutic Recreation curriculum has been successfully reviewed and determined to be in alignment with the Therapeutic Recreation Ontario (TRO), and Essential Competency Framework (ECF). As a result, graduates of this program (283, 963) are eligible to apply for the Registration designation with the Therapeutic Recreation Ontario (TRO) upon graduation.
- individual and group presentations are a core competency in the program
What you'll learn
- Theoretical foundation and practical skills to plan, implement and evaluate leisure services for individuals at all stages in life who experience barriers to healthy leisure.
- Recognize leisure, recreation and play as integral components of quality of life.
- Assess needs and passions of an individual to provide person centred care.
- Focus on inclusion and empowering to help people live their fullest life despite any limitations.
- How to give back as much power and choice as possible back to the participant.
- Provide services to individuals who have physical, mental, emotional or social limitations that impact their ability to engage in leisure experiences.
Already have an Allied degree or diploma? We are pleased to offer the Recreation Therapy Intensive Diploma program.
2 academic years (periods of 8 months)
View the Exceptions Calendar for start dates and semester break information.
We’re here for you to support applications and admissions by providing online and virtual service.
Applied and have questions?
The admissions team is available to help, you can contact them via Admissions or by phone at 1-844-767-6871.
Haven’t applied and need help?
Contact us or phone 905-575-2460.
Take a virtual campus tour!
Explore Mohawk College from the comfort of home! Our virtual campus tours provide a guided visit of our buildings, labs, services, classrooms and athletic and recreation centre.
Domestic and International student admission requirements
- OSSD or equivalent (Mohawk Academic Upgrading, GED) including:
- Grade 12 English, C or U or equivalent (70% guideline)
- Mohawk College will consider advanced standing and credit for prior learning with related experience on an individual basis
- Volunteer experience in Recreation Therapy recommended
- Attendance at program orientation is strongly recommended
- Applicants should note that some employment opportunities require that certain physical standards must be met as a condition of employment
- See below for accepted equivalents for Grade 12 English:
Applicants whose first language is not English will be required to demonstrate proficiency in English. Options are available for mature applicants.
Tuition and Fees
2021 - 2022 Domestic Tuition and Fees
|Description||Semester 1||Semester 2|
Compulsory Ancillary Fees
Compulsory Program Fees
|Total Domestic Charges Per Semester||$2,500.98||$2,066.09|
|Total 1st Year Fees||$4,567.07|
Above fees based on full-time September program start date. Contact Student Services to confirm fees for other start dates or semesters.
- Awards: Scholarships and Bursaries
- OSAP Eligible. Learn about Ontario Student Assistance Program (OSAP).
- Full Cost Breakdown
2021 - 2022 International Tuition and Fees
|Description||Semester 1||Semester 2|
Total Tuition & Ancillary Fees
Program Compulsory Fees
|International Tax Recovery||$450.00||$375.00|
|Total International Charges Per Semester||$8,860.92||$8,470.00|
|Total 1st Year Fees||$17,330.92|
- International Scholarships and Bursaries
- OSAP not eligible for International Students
- Full Cost Breakdown
If you pay by wire transfer, please note your bank might charge you a fee to transfer money. Make sure your transfer includes the Mohawk payment and the wire transfer fee. This applies to each wire transfer payment you make.
Course Overview & Descriptions
Click on the course title for a course description.
How you'll gain skills
- Unpaid practicum experience guided by Therapeutic Recreation Ontario (TRO) standards of practice.
- Participation in in-house community day program simulation.
- Learn outdoor facilitation techniques by participating in an outdoor camp experience.
- Use sensory equipment in Mohawk’s on-site Multi-Sensory Lab.
- Foster social responsibility and leadership through a Service Learning project.
- Develop solutions or strategies for local organizations within a classroom setting.
Placements may occur at locations that are not accessible by public transit. As such, students shall be expected to either have access to a car or the ability to supply their own transportation when attending placement activity. Mohawk shall not be responsible for providing students with transportation to placements within or outside the Hamilton region
Registered students who have been convicted of an offence for which they have not been pardoned may be denied the opportunity to enter or continue in a placement while in the program
Students are required to complete various Immunizations and Disease Screening protocols required by some field placement agencies
More information can be found on the Recreation Therapy Placement page.
Become an Agency Partner
If you would like to become an Agency that takes students on placement from Mohawk College's Health Studies programs, please visit the Recreation Therapy Field Placement page.
To learn more, please visit the Centre for Experiential Learning.
Program Learning Outcomes, often referred to as ‘Program Standards', set out the essential learning that a student must achieve before being deemed ready to graduate.
In many cases these program learning outcomes were developed by the Ministry of Colleges and Universities (MCU) in consultation with employers and educators who are experts in the program field. To ensure the outcomes remain current and in line with industry needs, we invite our employers, graduates working in the field and current students to re-examine and update them during regular, ongoing program review focus groups.
Your future career options
- Recreation Therapist
Where you could work includes:
- Long-Term Care Facilities and Hospitals
- Acute or Chronic Care Hospitals
- Inpatient/Outpatient Rehabilitation Programs
- Mental Health Settings
- Municipal Recreation Departments
- Day Programs/Day Hospitals
- Addiction Treatment Centres
- Community-Based Agencies serving people with disabilities
- Private Practice
- Limited opportunities to work with children
Opportunities for grads
- Graduates are eligible to become a registered member of Therapeutic recreation of Ontario (TRO).
- Students receive a number of industry-specific certifications.
Pathways to Mohawk
If you've successfully taken a course at another post-secondary institution, you may be able to earn course exemptions toward your credential here at Mohawk.
Pathways within Mohawk
If you have successfully completed one of the following programs at Mohawk, you may be eligible to receive transfer credit in this program. *
- Career Pathways
- General Arts and Science Certificate (College Transfer)
- Human Services Foundation
- Pre-Health Sciences Pathway to Advanced Diplomas and Degrees
- Pre-Health Sciences Pathway to Certificates and Diplomas
- General Arts and Science Diploma (University Transfer)
- Occupational Therapist Assistant and Physiotherapist Assistant
We offer a diverse range of programs to further your studies within Mohawk following completion of this program. *
- Child and Youth Care
- Early Childhood Education (Intensive)
- Educational Support (Intensive)
- Social Service Worker (Intensive)
- Autism & Behavioural Science
- Brain Disorders Management
- Concurrent Disorders
- Community and Social Services Management
- Mental Health & Disability Management
This Pathways map shows how the identified program can lead to future program choices within Mohawk.
Pathways beyond Mohawk
Earn a degree:
- Athabasca University - Bachelor of Professional Arts in Human Service
- Brock University - Bachelor of Recreation & Leisure Studies
- Davenport University - BSc Health Services Administration
- University of Waterloo - Bachelor of Recreation & Leisure Studies
See ontransfer.ca for additional opportunities at other colleges or universities in Ontario.
Search the Mohawk Transfer Database for opportunities outside of Ontario.
Domestic Canadian Students
Contact Student Recruitment
Haven’t applied yet and have questions?
Contact our Student Recruitment team for information on programs, how to apply, and more.
Contact our Admissions advisors for help with your application.
Contact International Student Recruitment
Contact our International Student Recruitment team for information on programs, how to apply, and student life.
Toll free phone numbers:
For general questions: 1-888-Mohawk9 (1-888-664-2959)
North China: 10-800-714-2521
South China: 10-800-140-2541