Mohawk celebrates International Education Week (IEW), an annual worldwide celebration highlighting the importance of learning and collaboration in education, each year in November! Canada recognizes the significant social, economic and cultural benefits of international education, and how it supports its efforts to engage effectively on the international stage.
Thank you to all who submitted photos for the 2022 IEW Photo Contest. You can view the winning photos on our Student Life IEW Photo Contest Winners Album
International Education Week at Mohawk
We have set three goals for Mohawk's International Education Week:
- To strengthen our global community on campus.
- To encourage the sharing of knowledge and traditions, and the expansion of perspectives.
- To highlight the benefits of international education to our students and staff.
International Education Week Photo Contest
Calling all photographers!
- Do you love to travel?
- Do you love photography?
- Want to show off the world through your eyes?
Each year, we invite all students and employees to submit scenic photographs taken by them from anywhere in the world.
Submitted photos are displayed on the Student Life spaces Student Life Facebook page
Prizes are awarded to the top photos as determined by student votes and formal judges and announced the week of November 21 - 25
- All students and employees are welcome to enter as many photos as they would like, but can only enter 3 photos from each country pictured.
- Photo(s) submitted are the property of the submitter and the submitter consents to the release of the photo to be used and displayed by Mohawk College social media and website for the purposes of this contest.
- Photos must be submitted between November 11t and November 14th, 2022 to be entered into the IEW Photo Contest.
- Photos must be uploaded and saved with the name of the city and country. Any photos not save in this format will not be used.
- Only landscape and wildlife photos will be accepted. Any photo with visible persons will not be used.
Photo Contest Previous Winners
International Education Week Schedule of Events
|Monday, November 14, 2022||
Language Positivity (All week) Visit Student Life (R203) to share a positive message written in your native language
|Tuesday, November 15, 2022||
|Wednesday, November 16, 2022||Language Positivity - (All week) Visit Student Life (R203) to share a positive message written in your native language|
|Thursday, November 17, 2022||
|Friday, November 18, 2022||Makerspace Workshop: Create a customized puzzle|
|Tues. November 22 2022||
FLASH Workshop: Understand Your International Students: Intercultural Communication Concepts (1 hour)Nov. 22nd, 1:00pm – 2:00pm
Room i102 (in-person) and Zoom
Join us for a jolt of Faculty Learning And Sharing (FLASH)!
Intercultural communication differs from cross-cultural communication in that cross-cultural communication recognizes difference and aims to communicate in a way that is sensitive to these differences whereas intercultural communication aims to deeply understand cultures, looking beyond the differences. This workshop will elevate your level of awareness of different cultural backgrounds and provide strategies addressing intercultural communication challenges. Come out and learn strategies you can apply in your learning environment to better engage students
|Wed. November 23, 2022||
FOCUS GROUP: Faculty Global Engagement at Mohawk College
Nov. 23rd, 12:00pm – 1:00pm
Room J137, Language & Culture Centre (in-person)
A strategic priority of the College is to build our Internationalization capacity through projects that enhance intercultural understanding, embed global learning outcomes and support the development of welcoming and inclusive culturally diverse classroom environments.
Join us as we explore current global engagement opportunities for faculty at Mohawk College and then we'd love to hear from you! How can we engage faculty around global learning? What opportunities would you like to see for involvement? Come out and share your thoughts!
Refreshments will be served.
|Thurs. November 24, 2022||
WORKSHOP: FLASH Intercultural Teaching Competencies
Nov. 24th, 12:30 – 1:30pm
Room i126 (in-person) and Zoom
Looking for ways to embed a global perspective into your course? Wondering what it means to “internationalize” the curriculum? Come out to this workshop where we will discuss intercultural teaching competencies, consider several case studies, and share some strategies to incorporate intercultural learning into your course!
Define intercultural teaching competencies
Identify some inclusive approaches and considerations
Identify strategies to embed intercultural learning into your course